Author Topic: Weapons Cycling  (Read 540 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Weapons Cycling
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:18:20 AM »
I've noticed something extremely unrealistic about the ammo type cycling- changing ammo types doesn't require rechambering!  It's as if the round is undetermined until the moment of firing, and instantaneously changes types on command (something even modern rounds have trouble doing).

My wish is that to change rounds the choice needs to be made and then confirmed via the fire button (default, but remappable- firing does not confirm, pressing the button the confirmation key is mapped to does).  Once the choice is confirmed, the reload delay occurs and the reload sound plays.  Once it is done, the new round can be fired. 

When switching rounds, the color of the round text would turn neon yellow instead of the usual color to indicate that it is the selected round, but not the loaded round.  After confirming the choice via the fire button, the text returns to its usual color.

If the selected round matches the loaded round and the fire button is pressed, then a click (like the sound of a hammer falling on an empty chamber) will be heard, and then the round text color will return to normal.  The round will not fire in this case, but an additional click will fire the round.

This wish will enhance realism, and provides a simple, effective means of changing ammo types without leaving the WASD and mouse or HOTAS setup.

-Penguin

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Weapons Cycling
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »
reasonable idea there penguin...  :aok  not sure how it would be received since it would change the complexity of the firing sequence.

i always thought that if the ammo type was changed, the reloading sequence should occur before the new choice could be fired...i.e. to go from he to ap: make the choice: current round gets ejected and the new choice gets chambered...ready to fire. never thought about having the text change colors to indicate ready to fire, that would be a nice addition too.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:39:31 AM »
That's not what I meant.  Here's a decision tree for the computer:

Is the backspace key pressed? 
  No- Check again
  Yes- Change the text color to neon yellow and select the new round

Has the confirmation button been pressed after that?
  No- Check again
  Yes- Play reload sound and enact delay, change text back to the original one and change rounds

It's like selecting a new fuel tank, only that it requires confirmation because of the delay.

-Penguin

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:38:15 AM »
reasonable idea there penguin...  :aok  not sure how it would be received since it would change the complexity of the firing sequence.

i always thought that if the ammo type was changed, the reloading sequence should occur before the new choice could be fired...i.e. to go from he to ap: make the choice: current round gets ejected and the new choice gets chambered...ready to fire. never thought about having the text change colors to indicate ready to fire, that would be a nice addition too.

Yep the principle is fine. I have not checked the current GV model on default settings. It used to be that if you left the main gun to go to a MG, when you get back to the main gun the default is loaded. I used to have mixed rounds. Shell a target with HE, pop up to the MG fire at the aircraft straffing me and go back to the gun to find AP now loaded! - It would be nice if it didn't do that. I think it may affect bomb selection in buffs the same way.

Just saying I want what I load to stay loaded until I change it. If I do change then a sequence/delay is sensible. Confirmation would not be required, it could work like check 6, cycle through selection and once you stop the selection auto confirms after a short delay.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:13:51 PM by Blagard »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:14:51 PM »
I believe hitech has mentioned before that he wants people to concentrate on fighting and not on checking instruments for little things that add nothing to game play.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:20:49 PM »

No- Check again

No- Check again
  Yes- Play reload sound and enact delay, change text back to the original one and change rounds

It's like selecting a new fuel tank, only that it requires confirmation because of the delay.

-Penguin
you have a good basic idea but it's too complex for a new person to figure out quickly...a simple change ammo selection, color change with reload sequence, color change ready system would get the same results with less complexity.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:07:10 PM »
I believe hitech has mentioned before that he wants people to concentrate on fighting and not on checking instruments for little things that add nothing to game play.

semp
a reload delay is essential to a stand off against an enemy. you want a smoke shell? reload it
then fire to get out of sight. you wanna kill that GV? reload the shell before you shoot :aok 4 seconds of ground war is a very dangerous 4 seconds
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:38:52 PM »
i cant believe im saying this, but Great idea penguin +1 :D
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »

semp
then again as i always say why do we need remodeled cockpits and skins and such?
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 12:28:36 AM »
then again as i always say why do we need remodeled cockpits and skins and such?

you dont reload skins before you fire.

a reload delay is essential to a stand off against an enemy. you want a smoke shell? reload it
then fire to get out of sight. you wanna kill that GV? reload the shell before you shoot :aok 4 seconds of ground war is a very dangerous 4 seconds

think about how many times you had a smoke loaded and you didnt fire it because there was a tank in front of you and had to switch to ap.  hell i would fire the damn shell and load the right one it's faster.  you guys want to change things for the rare occasions in which you had the wrong shell loaded that you didnt fire.  and just so you know it takes longer to remove and reload than just to reload a shell.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 06:19:54 AM »
think about how many times you had a smoke loaded and you didnt fire it because there was a tank in front of you and had to switch to ap.  hell i would fire the damn shell and load the right one it's faster.  you guys want to change things for the rare occasions in which you had the wrong shell loaded that you didnt fire.  and just so you know it takes longer to remove and reload than just to reload a shell.

So you shoot the tank with smoke, but guess what, you get loaded with another smoke!(And in real life you would reveal your position) - The answer is you need to load the right ordinanace for the job. At the moment there is a nice delay between shooting and reloading and none for selecting a different round. Just applying the reload delay to tanks main gun selection would be much better. I don't think weapon selection needs this delay in any other situation except  perhaps the 17 pounder which I have not used.

I can see it may be difficult to apply now because your weapon select key in commanders position includes the turrets MG. I have just noticed that at least the selection remains as you move about the tank. It used to mess me about when using HE in a mixed load to go to a MG and come back to AP!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:29:21 AM by Blagard »

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
think about how many times you had a smoke loaded and you didnt fire it because there was a tank in front of you and had to switch to ap.  hell i would fire the damn shell and load the right one it's faster.  you guys want to change things for the rare occasions in which you had the wrong shell loaded that you didnt fire.  and just so you know it takes longer to remove and reload than just to reload a shell.

semp
exactly. i would do the same, throw the smoke grenade (if shot through the gun barrel) and load an AP round. saves time over switching to AP by unloading the smoke. M4s and Tigers should also use smoke grenade launchers like they did in WWII. Hell Tigers should have smoke...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »

No- Check again

No- Check again

-Penguin

I agree that it would be more logical, that when choosing a new type of round a re-load event would take place, but have to hit a button to confirm is a waste. If I hit the backspace key, I see no need to ask me if that is what I intended ... just do it. If I hit it inadvertently in haste ... so sorry Charlie.

Also, when programming and responding to keyboard interrupts, there really is no "check again". Each time a key on the keyboard is pressed, a key event is sent to a program that was registered as a "key listener". They registered listener interrogates the event and then takes the appropriate action for that event, if your code is looking specifically for that key event.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »
Ok, then take out the confirmation.  Just add a delay between switching round types.

-Penguin