Author Topic: Ship and shore gun aiming  (Read 514 times)

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Ship and shore gun aiming
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:55:24 PM »
I think some people get confused with the new Gun sights so I have crudely marked up a picture to show what we now have.

I have used my view keys in pan mode(F8) to move the two main elements apart for identification. F1 currently will move your view back to the gun bearing so they are on top of each other. (I have mouse look disabled)

The important bit is that the Big Crosshair is not where you are aiming! - it is where you are looking
You are aiming in line with the ring and yellow reticle. The ring gives an indication of barrel elevation so as you increase range it goes up the screen. The ring and the yellow reticle should stay vertically aligned all the time

If you use Fusemans old Big gun guide you will get an understanding of Direct, Land and Sea Modes and how to set the targets with them. However the little red aiming cross in the guide is now replaced by the ring and yellow reticle. The big black reticle is new and should help you with getting range.

The idea behind the black reticle is that if say an aircraft carrier is side on to your view, it's size in the reticle will allow you to judge the range to the target. Sorry no examples to help you there yet, only my crude ship to show how you look at the target with the reticle to literally size it up. You need a lot of skill and judgement if it is at an angle because it will appear shorter.

The old guide is here: http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/bigguns/bigguns.htm
The way the guns work has not really changed, so until a new guide is done you just need to get to grips with the "new look" I hope this helps in the short term!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:15:36 PM by Blagard »

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Re: Ship and shore gun aiming
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:20:59 PM »
this will help. thanks for posting.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.