Author Topic: P-51 throttle bug?  (Read 585 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
P-51 throttle bug?
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:16:06 AM »
I have noticed this before but never commented on it. It came up again last night prompting me to post about it. This applies specifically to the P-51B but is also on the P-51D I believe.

The throttle seems analogous to the MAP dial except when you get around 45" of pressure or so.

Anything from idle up to around this point is smooth and consistent. It takes the same "travel" of joystick motion from 30" to 35", and from 35" to 40"... And so forth.

Then right after it passes 45" (call it 46" or so) it does this major jump backwards, going BACKWARDS as you advance the throttle, jumping to about 37"... It's not an instant jump, though it looks like it at first. Playing around offline I was able to watch it actually move backwards, it's just a fast move. The throttle then proceeds as you move your axis ever-further, back past 46" again.

Right around that point it starts skipping very fast, covering much more distance than the amount of throttle you are giving it. It goes from 46" to about 55" very rapidly. Setting any throttle setting between these two points is an exercise in manual dexterity.
Above 55" it seems to "normal out" again and you can see it moves rather normal up to full military power.

This is repeateable and I had notice the rapid movement from 46" to 55" before, but never noticed the BACKWARD travel until I checked it out offline more closely.

EDIT: P.S. I also have just confirmed offline that it is NOT just a graphical bug, the fuel consumption drop as it goes backwards. The first time it hits 36" it runs about 136 gph, then after it passes 46" the gph drops back to 136. The actual power output is dropping and then going back up.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:21:20 AM by Krusty »

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: P-51 throttle bug?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:33:23 AM »
I've noticed this as well. Perhaps it has something to do with a turbo/supercharger kicking in?
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 01:34:48 AM »
Neg, this happens as you advance throttle, not as you go up or down in alt. You can see it at sea level as you take off, even. Should be no change in supercharger.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »
i always thought it was my throttle. good to know its a bug <S>
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:58:46 PM »
Well my throttle is CH gear, good quality. It's smooth and generally reliable in all other planes. I only noticed it here on the Pony. Hence, to me, it's the pony that's bugged, rather than the throttle not functioning properly.

I did consider that, though, too.

EDIT: I also checked first in-game advanced tab of control mapping as well as windows game controller page to verify smooth motion of axis inputs before reporting it as an actual bug, just to cover my bases.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 06:49:04 AM »
Well my throttle is CH gear, good quality. It's smooth and generally reliable in all other planes. I only noticed it here on the Pony. Hence, to me, it's the pony that's bugged, rather than the throttle not functioning properly.

I did consider that, though, too.

EDIT: I also checked first in-game advanced tab of control mapping as well as windows game controller page to verify smooth motion of axis inputs before reporting it as an actual bug, just to cover my bases.
CH Pro Throttle here <S> my throttle jumps like a drunken monkey on the top of a stick stirring 190...
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:30:10 AM »
odd I have never had spiking with my CH Pro throttle and its over 10 years old????
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:57:51 AM »
I use some 10+ year old Saitek Cyborg Graphite (has an integrated throttle
on the base of the joystick).

I don't believe this is a stick issue.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 09:58:11 AM »
B-26 throttle also needs attention. A squaddie and myself ran a megastrat run in B-26s last night. We leveled about 14k, and found extreme difficulty in reducing throttle just a few " of MAP, because the throttle would jump and be erratic with the smallest of inputs. I have a fairly accurate CH throttle that doesn't spike, and I was unable to control my MAP inputs anywhere like what I wanted. We ended up not being able to reduce MAP consistently and just ran full military power (no WEP).

Another one for the list.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 07:26:18 PM »
odd I have never had spiking with my CH Pro throttle and its over 10 years old????
i probably banged it up a bit
Happy Jack's Go Buggy