Author Topic: Scientists cure cancer - nobody takes notice?  (Read 977 times)

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
Re: Scientists cure cancer - nobody takes notice?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 05:10:56 PM »
The majority of cancers already are pretty much cureable.  No one thanks the "big evil pharmaceutical companies" for that.  There will never be a single cure for cancer, all cancers are not the same.  Some may just never be treatable, to any worthwhile.
Like AIDs, cancer is no longer an automatic death sentence.  Let's all kiss some big pharmaceutical butt for that, instead of preaching how evil they are. 
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 05:15:09 PM »
Cancer still shares a thing in common. Exactly what is mentioned in the articles.
There are species on the planet that do not get cancer, but not many amongst higher life-forms.
One example though, - Shark!
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 05:26:27 PM »
Cancer still shares a thing in common. Exactly what is mentioned in the articles.
There are species on the planet that do not get cancer, but not many amongst higher life-forms.
One example though, - Shark!

If all cancer was the same, it would all be equally treatable.  As of today, most cancers are very treatable.  Some however, lung cancer for example, are very hard to treat.  Yes all cancers share similarities, but so do all bacterial infections.
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 06:43:39 PM »
If all cancer was the same, it would all be equally treatable.  As of today, most cancers are very treatable.  Some however, lung cancer for example, are very hard to treat.  Yes all cancers share similarities, but so do all bacterial infections.

Is that to say that MRSA and say your run-of-the-mill Impetigo are essentially the same?
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 07:34:09 PM »
http://www.dca.med.ualberta.ca/Home/Updates/2010-05-12_Update.cfm

as always, the source material is a whole lot more level headed.

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 08:02:53 PM »
Is that to say that MRSA and say your run-of-the-mill Impetigo are essentially the same?

I'm not a doctor.  All I was saying is, cancer is not a single disease, and will not be treated as a single disease.  Therefore, we're not going to see some miracle drug that prevents/cures every single form of cancer.  Read the material for the detailed explanation
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 08:08:01 PM »
I'm not a doctor.  All I was saying is, cancer is not a single disease, and will not be treated as a single disease.  Therefore, we're not going to see some miracle drug that prevents/cures every single form of cancer.  Read the material for the detailed explanation

I read it; I also read your generalization. I was just making sure.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 10:52:16 PM »

I disagree.  I too am not a medical doctor but once a cure is found I personally believe that it will be a matter of taking a pill or getting a shot (maybe a series of treatments) and it really will be as simple as that.  It's just a matter of finding the right stuff the kill the cancer cells while leaving healthy cells intact.

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 11:23:17 PM »
I disagree.  I too am not a medical doctor but once a cure is found I personally believe that it will be a matter of taking a pill or getting a shot (maybe a series of treatments) and it really will be as simple as that.  It's just a matter of finding the right stuff the  :headscratch:kill the cancer cells while leaving healthy cells intact.

Read up a little on what cancer actually is (and all the different types of it).  I once again repeat, cancer is not one single disease.  Do you think they're going to magically synthesize some chemical that will cure every form of cancer at once?  That would be great, maybe one pill can also be magically created to cure every single form of bacterial infection too
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 01:42:33 AM »
I disagree.  I too am not a medical doctor but once a cure is found I personally believe that it will be a matter of taking a pill or getting a shot (maybe a series of treatments) and it really will be as simple as that.  It's just a matter of finding the right stuff the kill the cancer cells while leaving healthy cells intact.

any and every cell can be a cancer cell.    cancer is simply the mutation of the cells that make up your body.  this is caused by poor diet, no exercise, smoking, drinking, intake of various contaminates, and God knows what else, and increases exponentially with age.   EVERYONE has all the ingredients for cancer already in them, all it takes is one little tiny cell to mutate and spread through the blood and lymph nodes.     a shot or a pill isn't going to be the answer for one and all.   there will be no "it's as simple as that" because there are so many variables.    until we can figure out how to completely control every cell in the human body, cancer isn't going anywhere.   
-AoM-

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 01:38:48 PM »
Two things I think everyone can and will agree on here in this thread:

1)  Everything can potnetialy cause cancer.  Cancer comes in many forms and in many variations.  For most of us it is not a matter of if and what, but simply when, and the best cure is to be proactive about it with your means of healthcare.

2)  Modern medicine is a wonderful thing and a constantly advancing and evolving practice.  Some procedures and medicines are close to perfected, others are well on track to someday being.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
Since cancer is a cell just going bonkers, the cure can be just as simple.

All we have to do is make a map of what every cell has to be like preferably down to the atomic level,
feed it into the transporter (right out of star trek)
..and beam across to the other pad.. hence re-mapping every single cell at the atomic level.

Sometimes 'better living through Chemicals' needs the help of a Dilithium Crystal power source :)

-Frank
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE