Author Topic: Salute Guppy for the Design  (Read 529 times)

Offline snakeplissken

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
Salute Guppy for the Design
« on: May 21, 2011, 03:05:15 AM »
It was his very first FSO.  He was forced to use old maps.  Still he struggled for months to match the plane sets.  VERY difficult to do since this was the first FSO to use the new A6M3.  We spent hours going over fuel settings since the zeros fly alot farther than the P40's.  Had to instruct me in special terms to disable all the ack at 8 strats and a HQs so that American planes could launch out of A12.  Designed the event with Ki84 and Ki 61s.  (The KI 43 was historically the most used plane so he had to use substitutes.)  Matched the squads and limited the attack objectives to even the fight out for both sides.  He intentionally used no wind and no fog vis to allow squads to decide to fight at high or low altitude.  Big <S> to the squads brave enough to attack NOE.  He really forced the CIC's to think about strike commitments versus defense.  And finally, he counted on the excellence of the squads on both sides to find a way to press their pilots and kill or be killed.  Did you have fun????? If so, post a screen shot or tell them about a plan or a fight to save your country or kill the enemy.  Geez, I feel like we all just came through Burma Backwater with out dated planes...  ~~~ Snake ~~~
The Unforgiven motto: Quid posset ire iniuriam

Offline Bannor

• Nickel Member
Re: Salute Guppy for the Design
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:58:26 AM »
I had a blast all 3 frames as did my squaddies. We flew the A6m3s in each frame and was impressed with its performance. It has given me pause as to taking the hiatus from the game. My biggest challenge right now is the pain in my hand, so I have all but stopped doing gvs in the MA and have limited my actual game time. FSO rocks :rock so I think I'm going to stick it out for now. You can count on FATE in the future! :banana: :aok
Destiny brought you here, now FATE will deal with your six!

Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 10:24:58 AM »
The 325th drew bomber duty for the 4th time out of the last 6 frames, and the second consecutive bomber assignment.  Last week's bomber run was as close to a perfect strike as one can come.  This week's bomber run met with disaster, as few if any 325th bombers made it to the target and made for a short evening in FSO.

As with most FSO scenarios, despite the shortness of our Frame 3, this was a good and fun setup.  <S> for the work and congrats to Guppy's first design.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »
even though my squad doesn't really like pto setups, and flying allied leaves a slightly bad taste in our mouths   :D ...this was absolutely a fun setup. seeing a mass of zekes and ki's swooping down on you when you thought you would have an altitude advantage is an adrenaline rush...all three frames were a lot of fun, at least for my squad.

you cm's deserve a lot more gratitude than you get for all the time spent planning and implementing these events.  thank you gentlemen.

to those who pulled cic duty for this event...excellent work on both sides   :salute   regardless of the scores, anyone who didn't have fun wasn't paying attention.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
Well done Guppy, with Fencer as his adviser. Excellent first design guys. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline snakeplissken

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 11:24:30 AM »
Thanks guys for the kind words.  As the Setup CM, I am "the front man" and see most of the in frame comments and "thank yous."  The truth is, I spend Hours on the setup. But Guppy was the design CM.  He spends weeks (or months) testing the design.  I just wanted to make sure he got the credit.  FSO continues to be (in my humble opinion) the best part of the game.  And I don't really understand why.  I have been both happy and frustrated playing the game.  But, nothing like the joy and frustation of FSO... Maybe you are all "Type A" personalities and FSO tests you like the MA never does.  As CM's we don't take sides... But, A big <S> to that NOE B25 mission on A11 last night.  That was beautiful to watch.  My Question is:  Why didn't that last buff kill those Ki's on the rearm pad?  One was Nef and I was laughing at him....
The Unforgiven motto: Quid posset ire iniuriam

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
My Question is:  Why didn't that last buff kill those Ki's on the rearm pad?  One was Nef and I was laughing at him....

The FSO gods were certainly smiling down upon me last night.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 05:21:15 PM »
This week was my 5th frame. This has been a lot of fun. A big  :aok to all the staff that makes this happen. This as close (I hope) I will come to organized air war. But I'm a bit disapointed. No axis fighters came within 2k of my b25. Perhaps it's my aura of uberness  :lol

Congratulation to ALL that takes part, players and designer alike, but especially designers who devote their time to make this possible.

:salute  :cheers:
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 03:14:20 AM »
You were the lucky one  :cheers:

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.