Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 89351 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 05:26:51 AM »
I have a schematic for the Mark I which hints at leading edge slats. I also can't confirm if the props contra-rotated, I know this was accommodated with the Peregrine engine. Anyone have some good literature on it?

P.S. Sorry Bino, I didn't read your link until after I posted. I have inadvertently replicated some data here.  :salute
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 06:45:49 AM »
I didn't mean to give the impression that I was against adding more planes to Aces High.  After all, more planes are better than less planes.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 07:47:36 AM »
60 rounds per gun is still 240 20-mm Rob, not a bad loadout for such a small fighter. All clustered in the nose too. Yummy.  :banana:

Interesting, the props apparently turned the same way, clockwise when viewed from the rear. And yet the Peregrine could easily have its rotation handed, that was one of the sources of development issues and simplified on the Merlin. I wonder why they deemed it unnecessary to have contrary rotating props?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 07:59:23 AM »
+1  just because it looks smurfy and it is British   :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 08:18:10 AM »
+1  just because it looks smurfy and it is British   :D

Smurfy!  :mad:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 08:20:24 AM »
i did say ugly with an f   oops .    :o
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 08:38:44 AM »
i did say ugly with an f   oops .    :o

Never speak to me again. You're dead to me now.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
Sure flew a lot more combat missions than the p63.

Offline Liberator

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 01:42:39 PM »
Cool plane, +1

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »
That is a very cool plane that I would definitely fly.  In fact it is probably the sexiest plane I have ever seen thanks for posting this.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 09:15:16 AM »
I have a schematic for the Mark I which hints at leading edge slats. I also can't confirm if the props contra-rotated, I know this was accommodated with the Peregrine engine. Anyone have some good literature on it?

P.S. Sorry Bino, I didn't read your link until after I posted. I have inadvertently replicated some data here.  :salute

No problem, Nrshida!  :salute  Nice images.

Just imagine if the Whirlwind had been available in strength during the Battle of Britain?  After all, the first prototype did fly in October of '38.

Some sources refer to leading-edge Handley-Page slats that were disabled in the field, which seem to be shown in this cut-away drawing...

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
Yup I read the same. Problems with control cables were suggested. Also noted that the aircraft was so stable in slow flight that they were deemed unnecessary.

You seldom see a plane request so well received around here! Given that your thread Bino, dates back to 2008 and that I also found this thread dated 2002:-

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,237815.0.html

A request getting on for ten years old, I have concluded that HTC must have already begun work on the AH Westland Whirlwind by now in secret. Probably modelling the rear view mirror is giving them problems  :banana:

My excitement is only marred by the realisation that I will have to now build another throttle. A dual quadrant this time. Anyone fly a Mosquito regularly using a dual throttle? Is there any practical advantage? I always wondered.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline DemonFox

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
I say +1 for any early war ride we don't have. The fact that it only carried 60rpg doesn't really matter because the fact is that you have 4 guns all mounted in the nose so no convergence issues meaning it will rip apart anything as long as you can fire in bursts.
I did look into this and the plane is a bit slower then I though it would for it's size but it's still quick. About 360mph is max speed.
Someone said something about dual throttles and  not sure but I think because the plane is fairly light and low drag I think the throttles would help a lot because the engines are pretty far apart compared to a P-38 or Mossie.

All in all big ol' PLUS 1!

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2011, 01:25:32 AM »
I was wondering, if HTC ever included this model, what they should do about the leading-edge slats? I read they were disabled because of reliability issues with the control cables (which HTC doesn't model) and were technically a field modification (which HTC doesn't allow), although the aircraft as used normally had them disabled they were still technically there. Also a control cable implies manual operation. Could they be linked to the flap control in AH or would they have to be a separate control?

Secondly regarding the twin engines, I only have a single throttle and have most always flown single-engined planes so I just don't know, but is it possible to turn one engine off at a time with Aces High or to have say one engine at half power and the other on full power with WEP for example?

Finally I cannot clearly visualise the resultant torque from a twin-engined aircraft were the props turn in the same direction. I was thinking these effects would probably announce more on such a small and light aircraft compare to a Mosquito for example. I have a feeling but can anyone with a deeper aviation knowledge / experience sum it up please?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-