Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 89868 times)

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2011, 07:32:33 PM »
PURSE FIGHT!!!! Tyrannis VS. The other people here who know that the Beau has value.  :banana:

+1 for the whirlwind/beaufighter.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »
PURSE FIGHT!!!! Tyrannis VS. The other people here who know that the Beau has value.  :banana:

+1 for the whirlwind/beaufighter.
Atleast these people can put up a valid argument against me.  ;)

Still waiting on someone to tell me how the Beau wont be a hanger queen. Not seeing anything so far. (Other than the scenarios part, and the few nostalgic crowd who may fly it for a bit)

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2011, 08:13:37 PM »

Still waiting on someone to tell me how the Beau wont be a hanger queen. Not seeing anything so far. (Other than the scenarios part, and the few nostalgic crowd who may fly it for a bit)
id like to see one good "valid" argument you've ever made.

oh wait that doesnt exist.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2011, 12:28:46 AM »

just ask the B.O.S.S guys.

Skorpion, really? Really? Go marry him!

end of the hijack, this thread is about this:
AoM
City of ice

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2011, 01:17:19 AM »
just ask the B.O.S.S guys.

end of the hijack, this thread is about this:
(Image removed from quote.)
B.O.S.S?

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2011, 01:43:26 AM »
So, this was discussed earlier, but to try and get it back on track, Whirlwind vs 110 C4.  Advantages/Disadvantages and of course, when facing against each other...
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2011, 05:58:51 AM »
I'm afraid we don't have a great deal of detail regarding the Whirlwind's flight characteristics apart from anecdotal reports. As mentioned in this thread there is an Air Ministry Flight Test report but you have to pay £200 to get a copy of it.

I've been trying to work out the effect the slats and Fowler flap would have on the turning ability and manoeuvrability but I don't have enough depth of understanding of aerodynamics to make any more than estimations.

Climb rate of the Whirlwind is about 60% that of a Spitfire Mark V.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2011, 07:46:37 AM »
B.O.S.S?

Beaufighter Operator Support Services

no kidding
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2011, 01:23:10 PM »
Generally I've understood that Whirwind was much liked as far as handling chracteristics go. The thing that was critisized was the high landing speed for a fighter of its generation.

Pilot's Notes mention engine assisted approach speed of 110-115mph IAS. In clean configuration at 10,200lbs (close to normal loaded weight)  the aircraft started to vibrate at 140mph IAS and pitched down (stalled at 110-115mph) and vent into a spin if stick was held back. With landing gear and flaps down the aircraft stalled at 90-95mph IAS.

General comments about flying the Whirlwind:

Philip J.R. Moyes noted in Aircraft in Profile 191: The Westland Whirlwind:

The basic feature of the Whirlwind was its concentration of firepower: its four closely-grouped heavy cannon in the nose had a rate of fire of 600 lb./minute – which, until the introduction of the Beaufighter, placed it ahead of any fighter in the world. Hand in hand with this dense firepower went a first-rate speed and climb performance, excellent manoeuvrability and a fighting view hitherto unsurpassed. The Whirlwind was, in its day, faster than the Spitfire down low and, with lighter lateral control, was considered to be one of the nicest "twins" ever built… From the flying viewpoint, the Whirlwind was considered magnificent.[11]

Bruce Robertson, in The Westland Whirlwind Described, quotes a 263 Squadron pilot as saying, "It was regarded with absolute confidence and affection.” [8]

The aircraft is well summed up by Francis K. Mason’s comments in Royal Air Force Fighters of World War Two, Vol. One:

Bearing in mind the relatively small number of Whirlwinds that reached the RAF, the type remained in combat service, virtually unmodified, for a remarkably long time…The Whirlwind, once mastered, certainly shouldered extensive responsibilities and the two squadrons were called upon to attack enemy targets from one end of the Channel to the other, by day and night, moving from airfield to airfield within southern England.[12]

The last words on the subject were perhaps best stated by Dr. G. Buckwell who, as a young Sergeant Pilot with 263 Squadron, was shot down in a Whirlwind over Cherbourg. "The Whirlwind was great to fly - we were a privileged few":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Whirlwind_%28fighter%29
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2011, 01:29:47 PM »
B-239 Brewster, 44 delivered- 400+ kills vs very inexperienced and very poorly led Russian aircraft

Anyhow out of all these rides the Westland Whirlwind served much longer and arguably impacted WW2 more than any of the above

False.

Brewster, for example, served longer. And almost 500 kills tells a lot about the 'impact'.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
That's great information Wmaker, thanks for posting that!

Does lateral control simply pertain to yaw? I found the information about the change in stall speeds with flap deployed and retracted particularly interesting. That sort of confirmed my assessment of the increase in lift area. Is there any mention of the manual slats? Were they deployed simultaneously with the flaps (field modification not withstanding)?

Given the service the Whirlwind gave, especially in the time it served and what happened on the channel dash, you can see why it might have a special place for British players.

If you have any pictures to contribute from your library they would be very much appreciated  :salute
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2011, 12:27:06 AM »
How would the Whirlwind compare against the Ki-45?
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2011, 07:56:12 PM »

It would win in the 262 lookalike contest.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2011, 06:09:12 AM »

In a 1v1 my money is on the Whirly.  From what I have read about both planes it seams that the Ki-45 was no match for P-40s in a dogfight but the whirly went head to head with 109 and 190s and managed to hold their own.

For attack roll the Ki45 would take that as the weapon load out is impressive, though having a 37mm gun on the nose would degrade performence somewhat.

The whirlwind is a very clean body and if it holds its E like a mossie does, this could be a very deadly fighter in the right hands.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »
In a 1v1 my money is on the Whirly.  From what I have read about both planes it seams that the Ki-45 was no match for P-40s in a dogfight but the whirly went head to head with 109 and 190s and managed to hold their own.

For attack roll the Ki45 would take that as the weapon load out is impressive, though having a 37mm gun on the nose would degrade performence somewhat.

The whirlwind is a very clean body and if it holds its E like a mossie does, this could be a very deadly fighter in the right hands.

The Ki-45's 37mm was fitted to attack american bombers, however the early models had a hand loaded 37mm that was horrible inaccurate let alone could only fire 2 rounds per minute. Later on I know the 37mm became automatic, I am not sure if the accuracy was improved or not or if it was even the same cannon.

One thing I always pondered why its gun package was never really upgraded, at least 2x20mm and 2x12.7mm would of at least given it a pounch.
Early models only had a single 20mm and pair of 12.7's, I believe the hand loaded 37mm came after that.

Basically its like firing the 75mm on the B25H, with less accuracy and a 37mm instead of a 75mm.

JG 52