Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 89747 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #495 on: May 02, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »
...and this one seems to be a very high resolution version of the one I might have posted before:-

Some nice gauge detail there too. The gunsight I think Bustr already identified from an early Spitfire or Hurricane. The mount is partially present in the earlier picture.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:37:16 PM by nrshida »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #496 on: May 02, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »
Finally there have been at least three 1:48th scale models of the Whirlwind an the cockpits only seem to vary in level of detail really. This is a good shot showing the fuselage edge and canopy relationship:-

and a bit of a typical floor and seat rendition. The floorboards correlate with the black & white photographs of the real cockpit:-

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #497 on: May 02, 2016, 04:42:46 PM »
This link is easier for the gunsight.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #498 on: May 02, 2016, 04:45:39 PM »
Nice Bustr, thanks. What would the reticule have looked like? A red one?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #499 on: May 02, 2016, 04:55:31 PM »
This link is easier for the gunsight.

(Image removed from quote.)

I couldn't find your picture on Wikipedia. This would therefore make the high res picture at the top of this page the early model I think, looking at the differences.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #500 on: May 02, 2016, 05:22:23 PM »
The reticle is the standard RAF 100mph ring with range and wing span bar. It had an orange diffuser which would cause that large orange outline glow you see in online pictures when the brightness knob was full up.

I recently duplicated that effect for AH3.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #501 on: May 02, 2016, 05:26:41 PM »
The reticle is the standard RAF 100mph ring with range and wing span bar. It had an orange diffuser which would cause that large orange outline glow you see in online pictures when the brightness knob was full up.

I recently duplicated that effect for AH3.

Let's see! Let's see!  :banana: :banana: :banana:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #502 on: May 02, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »
Just some additional new images which showed up during this search. Fowler flap detail (not flaps, for there is only one!):-

Fully closed there's always a small slit for radiator outlet. This would be the setting for flying at speed:-

Flap in takeoff position (or when running hot). With the lever in this position the inner (hydraulic) root slats are also fully opened (and stay like that down to full flap down setting):-

I think I posted this one before, fully extended, but good for comparison:-

It's quite a bit of 'extra' wing. Goes right out to the dihedral. I tried to calculate the surface area but realistically I need a model to do that. I think the single massive Fowler flap with tilting nacelles one of the coolest features. Just repeating the earlier info from the official pilot's manual:

The maximum permissible speeds for various flap positions are as follows:-

(a)   Flaps depressed about 10⁰, to give maximum cooling position of radiator shutters - 300 m.p.h. A.S.I.

(b)   Flap depressed half-way - 200 m.p.h. A.S.I.

(c)   Flap fully down for landing - 160  m.p.h. A.S.I.

I'm afraid I don't know how to calculate the corner speed, but getting half flap down already at 200 m.p.h. and then progressively more as you slowed would be very useful in an AH fight. The kind I always seem to end up in anyway  :banana:

Additional to the root slats there were also automatic outer slats just like the 109. Bit of a cacky photo (sorry for that) but here you can make out the outer (automatic) slats flopped out. They are also pretty long!:-

The high-lift devices anticipated later commercial airliners I think it's fair to say.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #503 on: May 02, 2016, 05:50:40 PM »
Also, one final interesting thought, would this technically be a blown flap, looking where the prop is?:-

Fantastic. I now believe in my Walter Mitty head of delusion that I could land and takeoff from an AH carrier vertically  :rofl

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #504 on: May 02, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
Let's see! Let's see!  :banana: :banana: :banana:

As far as I can tell in the beta everything depends on the sun for illumination beyond just being the sun. This time of day in the beta is the best to see the orange over glow specific to the MKII because of the orange diffuser.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #505 on: May 03, 2016, 06:21:51 AM »
Looks great. Thanks Bustr.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #506 on: May 03, 2016, 12:56:03 PM »
Those magic flaps in AH will make the corsair go hide under a rock...
Fowlers
deploy at 300 mph
leading edge slats
huge area both leading and trailing
and in the prop wash...

It looks like the illegitimate child of a P38 and an F4U, with a Mosquito for an uncle.
Except it is earlier than all of them.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #507 on: May 03, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »
I predict some genius at using the obvious like with F3 and the IL2, will have this thing turned into the next impossibly magical UFO turny thing with BFG9000 firepower. Then the A6m, Brewster and Yak3 will become distant memories while the perk the MagicSWhirly crowed uses up miles of forum posts trying to get it perked.

With 4 hispanos in the nose, not getting that thing on your first BnZ pass may be your last because hispanos are good to about 1200. With those flaps and slats, think of it as a British flying wirbelwind.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, it just hovers and hoses you. It has to be perked, only sissies and weenies fly a wirbel and "hover hose". Oh the inhumanity of it all, what was Hitech thinking. This is the real end of the game and any kind of real ACM.........

And there will be a cadre of pilots who will develop a skillset to counter the "hover hose" while making fun of the perk it crowd....... :ahand
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #508 on: May 03, 2016, 02:04:15 PM »
I predict some genius at using the obvious like with F3 and the IL2, will have this thing turned into the next impossibly magical UFO turny thing with BFG9000 firepower. Then the A6m, Brewster and Yak3 will become distant memories while the perk the MagicSWhirly crowed uses up miles of forum posts trying to get it perked.

With 4 hispanos in the nose, not getting that thing on your first BnZ pass may be your last because hispanos are good to about 1200. With those flaps and slats, think of it as a British flying wirbelwind.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, it just hovers and hoses you. It has to be perked, only sissies and weenies fly a wirbel and "hover hose". Oh the inhumanity of it all, what was Hitech thinking. This is the real end of the game and any kind of real ACM.........

And there will be a cadre of pilots who will develop a skillset to counter the "hover hose" while making fun of the perk it crowd....... :ahand

LOL  :aok Good read.

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #509 on: May 03, 2016, 02:35:13 PM »
"hover hose". I love it.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain