Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 89747 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #540 on: May 10, 2016, 01:26:53 AM »
I think all the high volume planes have been covered, so new additions will all be low use.  My question is if the gun package is the the same as a SPitV or a HurryIIc why is anyone going to take a whirlwind up instead of either of those two?  :salute
Pe-2, Wellington, Beaufighter, D4Y, B6N, SB2C, Ki-45, SB-2, Do-17, Ju188, Do217, He177, Halifax, Sterling.

Lots of high volume stuff that hasn't been added.  Not all of it is appropriate, but you can hardly say all high volume stuff has been added.

We know you want the P-63, but be honest about your request and don't misrepresent what is left to be added or project your desires onto the rest of us.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #541 on: May 10, 2016, 01:27:10 AM »
  So I did read that the slats were wired shut,just that it was done in the field.

Yes I believe that's correct. I think they were just playing it safe and trying to wring the last bit of usefulness out of the airframe in the Whirlybomber role.

Another question,did the peregrine engine use the same or similar carburation to the early merlins,as in a nonpressurized deal that would cut out under neg G's?

Very good question Morf. So this is slightly educated conjecture on my part because I couldn't find anything official on this regarding the Peregrine. I think the Merlin was particularly susceptible to cut out on negative G because it used an updraught SU carb. Extended neg-G (over 2 second they say) caused flooding not starvation contrary to what is commonly believed. Tilly's orifice restricted the flooding and did nothing to supply extra fuel. The Peregrine used downdraft carburetion so I think the problem was about the same magnitude as the Mitsubishi Zero: gradual loss of power, lots of spluttering and then eventually a cut out once the float chambers began to empty. But that's a lot of parabolic flightpath.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #542 on: May 10, 2016, 09:17:15 AM »
I think you may be getting the Beaufighter and Whirlwind a little mixed up. The Beaufighter would essentially be a slower, worse turning and climbing Mossie, although tougher and with a little more firepower and the ability to carry a torpedo. The Whirlwind was a much smaller and lighter aircraft than these two and was by all accounts very maneuverable, more in line with a Hurri II or a Spit V. The Hurri II gets used and that is slower than a Whirlwind, nothing with four Hispanos is going to be a hangar queen.

I'd class the P-63 with other end of the war uber planes like the F7F, F8F and He 162 which would have an impact on the game out of all proportion to their miniscule effect on WW2. There are very few fighters that saw significant service in WW2  left to model that would also be competitive in the MA but I can think of a few. There is the Gloster Meteor, the Fiat G.55 and the Ki 100. If you include variants of existing rides there is the high-alt Mosquito Mk 30 and the Mustang Mk IA, which was the RAF's four cannon variant of the P-51A. The Allison Mustangs were very fast below 10K where most MA fighting is done.

Thanks for the info

Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #543 on: May 10, 2016, 09:19:59 AM »

... don't misrepresent what is left to be added or project your desires onto the rest of us.

As if.
Who is John Galt?

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #544 on: May 08, 2017, 03:42:10 AM »
I guess this awesome little aircraft must be in the next batch of new fighter planes I expect. Aces HIGH. Yes definitely. New fighter planes. For fighting. Maaaaaaaarvelous  :banana:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #545 on: July 30, 2017, 06:35:15 AM »
Oh my bloody magnificent cockpit shots on page 35 have gone because the owners of Photobucket want to buy 430 Scuderias. Don't they know they self-destruct after one hour of driving?

I think I still have the originals. Any suggestions for future-proof photo uploading? Obviously we have to consider the longevity of a Wishlist request for such an oddball fighter  :banana:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #546 on: July 30, 2017, 09:02:38 AM »
you do know this wish was started May 21st 2011- 6 years ago? if they didn't do it by now it ain't gonna happen
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #547 on: July 30, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
you do know this wish was started May 21st 2011- 6 years ago? if they didn't do it by now it ain't gonna happen

It doesn't matter, we can hope, document, present and wish. That's what this forum section is for.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #548 on: July 30, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »
6 earth years is not even 1 year on the planet where HT is from.
He is now at page 5 or so of this thread.
 :old:
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #549 on: July 30, 2017, 01:00:02 PM »
6 earth years is not even 1 year on the planet where HT is from.
He is now at page 5 or so of this thread.
 :old:

Yes. Hitech is about to read the jolly exciting part about the world's proportionally largest Fowler flap and the rosewood drinks cabinet.  :banana:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Petey

• Copper Member
      • 56th FG Homepage
« Reply #550 on: August 01, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »
 :D

maybe page 6....... heard he has a new interstellar translator/decoder ring.
Petey

56 FG "Zemke's Wolfpack"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #551 on: August 01, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
Pure conjecture, but since eeeeeeeverything else has been updated (and after a long well-deserved quiet time in HTC) incorporating more planes seems logical. Only so many late war aircraft left, and they are often uninteresting, therefore...  :banana:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #552 on: August 01, 2017, 10:05:00 PM »
    I could see  having the WesWirl if early and mid war arenas were back.  If I remember it was Fall 1940 that they went operational.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #553 on: August 02, 2017, 09:28:44 PM »
    I could see  having the WesWirl if early and mid war arenas were back.  If I remember it was Fall 1940 that they went operational.

And 1942 they went away.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #554 on: August 04, 2017, 05:49:44 AM »

I've already proposed forming a dedicated squadron if we ever get it!  :banana:

Think there'd be a handful of wingnuts who would master it and fly it everywhere. Some notable sticks do that already with 'uncompetitive' rides. One of those balances two handfuls of late war runners for fun any day I'd say.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-