Author Topic: Starting over  (Read 910 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Starting over
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »
Too bad you did not alert us on here. You should have installed a new drive then restored the system or removed the damaged drive and and slaved it in another machine to get your files.

It could have been as easy as restoring the boot sector on the drive. In any case the files probably could have been saved.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »
Too bad you did not alert us on here. You should have installed a new drive then restored the system or removed the damaged drive and and slaved it in another machine to get your files.

It could have been as easy as restoring the boot sector on the drive. In any case the files probably could have been saved.

I tried this when mine crashed.  upon reboot it wiped the fresh install on the new drive. I saw my files for a second and blue screen. 
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »

There was a big thread in the Hardware/Software forum on this.  Bad news is I think it's Ranger's only PC, and he couldn't even fire it up to log in and post a help question.  The only way he knew to get it to boot was to use the recovery partition/cd to factory-new his system.  By that time it was pretty much too late.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 01:18:58 PM »
I tried this when mine crashed.  upon reboot it wiped the fresh install on the new drive. I saw my files for a second and blue screen. 

That will not happen automatically. I have used these methods for years repairing systems and culling files from damaged drives.

Only drive I ever had to send out was one that the plates froze.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 01:55:09 PM »
sux Ranger.....bad.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 10:15:13 PM »
Thanks all for the kind words.  I'll get started rebuilding this weekend.  Gonna feel strange downloading my own stuff lol.

:salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 09:28:52 AM »
Thanks all for the kind words.  I'll get started rebuilding this weekend.  Gonna feel strange downloading my own stuff lol.

:salute

True that lol
80th FS "Headhunters"