Author Topic: View Tweaks for newbies  (Read 490 times)

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
View Tweaks for newbies
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:00:13 AM »
Once in the cockpit, I would anticipate most new AH users soon find out that you can save each view in each aircraft or GV using F10. This is especially handy when you hold your six view and move your head around to get the best view. Then, while holding it, use F10 to save it. It will then be instantly available in the future.

What new AH users probably don't know, is you can use some view combinations to save special views. I use two special views to get a better view in the Spit during a turn with an enemy. You can apply the same principle to any aircraft.
The key pad 8 is your normal straight ahead view and used with the 5 you get the in between forward lookup - nothing new there.

However, if you use the 8 key with the 1, you just get a straight ahead view. Holding these two keys, you then move your head to the left to see better over the left side of the engine cowl. Save with F10 and hey presto, 8 with 1 will give you a quick peek forward with you head moved over to the side.  I use 8 and 3 to do the same on the right side.

Those two views are usually when you are looking ahead anyway, so for convenience, I have them on the fourway hat below my pro-throttle 8 way view hat. Having said that, if you actually use the keypad for views instead of a hat switch you don't need to assign them to a "button"

It's been a while seen I last saw this posted hence the refresher!

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
Re: View Tweaks for newbies
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 12:20:48 PM »
 :aok
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »
Another thing I learned the hard way is that you can get easy access to the up/* views (up front, up right, etc.) by programing the look straight up option on a different button, one that your off-hand can reach easily.  So if you have a stick with a hat switch, you use your hat switch in combination with the up view programmed on one of the buttons on the stick's base to get the up/* views.  This makes tracking a target a lot easier.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 03:47:21 PM »
Another thing I learned the hard way is that you can get easy access to the up/* views (up front, up right, etc.) by programing the look straight up option on a different button, one that your off-hand can reach easily.  So if you have a stick with a hat switch, you use your hat switch in combination with the up view programmed on one of the buttons on the stick's base to get the up/* views.  This makes tracking a target a lot easier.

Absolutely, this is the way mine is set up with a stick hat used for the 5(up) and 0 (down views) You get to get a clear look down at some instruments that way, otherwise down is not that much use.