Author Topic: Severe weather/tornadoes  (Read 3002 times)

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Severe weather/tornadoes
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2011, 11:13:04 PM »
triple actually

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2011, 11:30:55 PM »
I only see two :headscratch:

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2011, 11:41:16 PM »
I only see two :headscratch:

One thing twice, then another 'thing'.

One, two, ten!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2011, 11:59:04 PM »
Raptor i wanted to say something to you and be sincere about it and please take no offense but the last few days it seems you've been alittle worked up on the BBS and yes maybe a break will do you good  :aok
Raptor i wanted to say something to you and be sincere about it and please take no offense but the last few days it seems you've been alittle worked up on the BBS and yes maybe a break will do you good  :aok
triple post.
[/hijack]

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2011, 12:45:45 AM »
Strange things happening lately  :noid
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2011, 01:00:33 AM »
My theory was that if you ran into a forest it would help shield from the winds and stuff flying around. Being in a car is the worst thing you can do, but some people have no other choice.

If you have no choice, grab a tree you can hug all the way around.  Lock your hands.  That Tornado was a half mile wide then it hit a truck stop.  Bruces if I recall.  It killed 6 people there and 3 more on the highway a few hundred yards down the road.  It was the Tulsa/Catoosa tornado of 93.  It blew about 100 windows out of my shop, but it was on a Saturday, so no one was there.  Flying debris took chunks out of the brick wall on the side of my building.  Forest might sheld you.  At tree about 200 yards out the front of my window, had a huge chunk of sheet metal hanging about 20 feet off the ground.

Rash
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:09:29 AM by Rash »
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2011, 07:07:54 AM »
well, we arent quite locked yet... im from toronto, so no tornadoes for me. on the other hand, we've got crazy politicians. you win some, you lose some.  :D

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2011, 03:45:44 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
 :noid

It's so funny looking, but yet so awesome!  Is that yours?

-Penguin

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2011, 04:02:51 PM »
As both a NWS trained Storm Spotter, as well as a "hobbyist" storm chaser, I take offense lumping those of us WITH training, and who contribute to the safety of the public, in with the pure thrill seekers who jsut do it to do it.  Granted, there is an element of thrill, even for the most seasoned chaser, and yes, I always take cameras etc, however, my primary goal when chasing is to INFORM THE NWS, of what I am seeing, so as to possibly save a life.  Even 1 life is worth the time and expense I have in doing so.  I personally use GRLevel3 during my chase, with a cellular internet connection.  I am not a big chase rwho goes out west and whatnot, just local to my hometown area...but I feel like I have made a difference in spotting potential trouble, and reporting it.

Don't make blanket statements unless you are informed.  And you will not be informed until you actually attend a spotter class. 

What is interesting is the NWS actually discourages chasing in the classes, but the advanced class not so much....more of a "if they don't discourage it they could get sued" type of deal I imagine...

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P Secret Association of P-38 Pile-its
In-Game as Castiel
Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2011, 05:14:55 PM »
It's so funny looking, but yet so awesome!  Is that yours?

-Penguin
Nope. I don't have the money for such toys. That's one of two tornado intercept vehicles of Reed Timmer's outfit. They are featured on Discovery Channels Storm Chasers. They use it to get data and video of tornados. Google Sean Casey's TIV 2 when you get a shot. Very "Roadwarrior".

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »
Oh, sure, I'll look it up.

-Penguin

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2011, 03:37:53 AM »
What a letdown...
See Rule #4

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2011, 11:00:09 AM »
Nope. I don't have the money for such toys. That's one of two tornado intercept vehicles of Reed Timmer's outfit. They are featured on Discovery Channels Storm Chasers. They use it to get data and video of tornados. Google Sean Casey's TIV 2 when you get a shot. Very "Roadwarrior".
The Mythbusters put them to the test behind a 747's jet engine, TIV 1 got damaged slightly If I recall, I know the door swung open and it slid all over the place. TIV 2 did much better until max thrust and it slid around a little bit.
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2011, 11:17:44 AM »
Well hell, stupid or reckless withstanding, If I still lived in OK, I'd hook up with some storm chasers.

But I'd look for professional ones with a lot of experience.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2011, 12:07:55 PM »
The Mythbusters put them to the test behind a 747's jet engine, TIV 1 got damaged slightly If I recall, I know the door swung open and it slid all over the place. TIV 2 did much better until max thrust and it slid around a little bit.
That was TIV 2 and Dominator 1. D1 went for a bit of a ride while the TIV held it's ground.