Author Topic: GV 'S will not get up to full speed  (Read 441 times)

Offline RACDOGG

• Zinc Member
GV 'S will not get up to full speed
« on: May 27, 2011, 10:19:27 AM »
I have tried and tried.. no luck. Every time I get into a GV and hit "Shift W" nothing happens. the gv just crawls along in 1st gear. Ive been told to put the clip board up, move the rudders ect. Nothing works.  :headscratch:

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
Re: GV 'S will not get up to full speed
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:40:01 AM »
Do you use a twisty stick?

If you do, raise the deadband on the twisty axis.  It was spiking a small amount on mine and causeing the same issue.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:43:05 AM by Gaidin »
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:48:13 AM »
I had the same issue, emailed HTC and was told that I was turning "ever so slightly"  I increased deadband, and it still happens.  My work around is to turn "ever so slightly" one way or the other until it accelerates. 

Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:00:37 PM »
I have tried and tried.. no luck. Every time I get into a GV and hit "Shift W" nothing happens. the gv just crawls along in 1st gear. Ive been told to put the clip board up, move the rudders ect. Nothing works.  :headscratch:

When the clipboard is up Click
    Options
    Controls
    Map Controllers

Select the controller that has your rudder on it
    Now click on the rudder axis - the one the numbers change when you move your rudder
    Now check the advanced box, just below the calibrate axis button
    A new part of the clipboard will swing out to the left
With the axis selected you should now see two sliders, one for damping , one for dead band
    Move the dead band slider up
    Now click OK and

Go try again and if no good, increase the dead band more
    If you use Mode 2 for controlling GV's I would make sure that is selected as well when you select the axis. probably no different to mode 1 but may as well be sure!

Edit A question for those with this problem
In the commander position your speed should be showing S on the left of the circle. If it shows 0 you are not stopped. I wondered if the creep that causes the problem is flagged up by it showing 0 speed instead of S (stopped) ? Once fixed you should be able to accelerate from stop to Max speed with Shift + W

Last Edit! - You did calibrate your controller in the first place didn't you ?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:40:55 PM by Blagard »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 12:58:44 PM »
Problem with increasing deadband for ground vehicles is that it affects your flying as well.

It seems that deadband and damping settings are applied for all stick sets rather than being able to have different deadband for each stick set.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:09:05 PM »
Problem with increasing deadband for ground vehicles is that it affects your flying as well.
It seems that deadband and damping settings are applied for all stick sets rather than being able to have different deadband for each stick set.

I agree, I checked this to be sure. Setting deadband in Mode 1 or Mode 2 affects both. However, the dead band will only apply to the rudder. Of the three main axis contols I don't think you would notice increased rudder deadband in the same way you do on the elevator and aileron. So it is a question of getting your GV to work OK and then checking if you can live with that deadband on the aircraft rudder.

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »
I always get this on entering the game but calibration sorts it, but I dont have a problem with flying so somethings up with the gvs
Game ID: Blimey

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 01:25:07 PM »
I always get this on entering the game but calibration sorts it, but I dont have a problem with flying so somethings up with the gvs

Out of interest did you calibrate your controllers in Windows before using Aces High ? You should only have to do it once, but you should not just add controllers and jump straight in with them to AH. - At least that is what I understood years ago.

Edit for Grammar!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:27:02 PM by Blagard »

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »

It's all per mode. It won't affect flying unless you are gv-ing in Mode-whatever mode you fly in. Mode 1?

As you can set different buttons for different commands in Mode 2, 3 or 4, you can also set different deadbands, scaling and damping.

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 12:28:24 PM »
It's all per mode. It won't affect flying unless you are gv-ing in Mode-whatever mode you fly in. Mode 1?
As you can set different buttons for different commands in Mode 2, 3 or 4, you can also set different deadbands, scaling and damping.

I agree with the buttons in different modes - I don't agree with different deadbands in different modes. I found the deadband set in mode 2 also changed the deadband in Mode 1. I could not say with respect to other modes as I don't use them