Author Topic: Why PM's are Lame  (Read 2317 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Why PM's are Lame
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »
OK....explain why HTC felt the need to disable stick inputs and flash an orange message in your buffer after a certain amount of stirs.

no clue ask him.....but "warps" have absolutely nothing to do with how fast you move your stick(which is what causes that message).....and every thing to do with your CPU processing power...and internet connection.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2011, 10:24:55 AM »
no clue ask him.....but "warps" have absolutely nothing to do with how fast you move your stick(which is what causes that message).....and every thing to do with your CPU processing power...and internet connection.

INK, even though that is true, it does not mean you can not induce mini warps by stick stirring.  Updates from your FE and server are timed (used to be every 250ms, have not checked in a few years).  If you change direction several times in that time interval there is only so much the smoothing code can do.  Add yours and his internet connection to it and you have a very big window to do it.  Best candidates are the fast rolling planes although it works with others.  The way I understand it, if I was writing the smoothing code, I would be looking to predict your next location based on the current variables.  If you "faked" me out by changing direction drastically several times between updates I would have to adjust to where you are and not to where my code thought you would be and that would create a mini warp.  HT has done a good job at smoothing things, but there is only so much you can do.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 10:40:46 AM »
OK....explain why HTC felt the need to disable stick inputs and flash an orange message in your buffer after a certain amount of stirs.

I believe it has to do with flaky sticks spiking their inputs - be it dirty components or bad port on the PC - which can also be duplicated by "moving your controller too fast".  To the game, the cause cannot be seen...only the result; thus the standard warning and temporary freezing of further inputs.

As far as "stick-stirring to induce intentional mini-warps", dedalos answered that quite nicely.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
INK, even though that is true, it does not mean you can not induce mini warps by stick stirring.  Updates from your FE and server are timed (used to be every 250ms, have not checked in a few years).  If you change direction several times in that time interval there is only so much the smoothing code can do.  Add yours and his internet connection to it and you have a very big window to do it.  Best candidates are the fast rolling planes although it works with others.  The way I understand it, if I was writing the smoothing code, I would be looking to predict your next location based on the current variables.  If you "faked" me out by changing direction drastically several times between updates I would have to adjust to where you are and not to where my code thought you would be and that would create a mini warp.  HT has done a good job at smoothing things, but there is only so much you can do.

ahhh I can understand that.

I have had a couple 190's do some crazy stick stirring, but I didn't see any warps.  just someone really desperate not to get shot down.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »
ahhh I can understand that.

I have had a couple 190's do some crazy stick stirring, but I didn't see any warps.  just someone really desperate not to get shot down.

I don't see it as often as a few years ago either, but I do see it once in a while.  Probably the right connection and stick input sequence is required.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
Most just do the old old old negative G push.  :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2011, 11:39:52 AM »
I never get pm's :cry only this one time, mad2009 said I'm not good enough to fly for the rooks because I took a cv and drove it to a field that we were gonna defend and it died! :rofl told me to leave!
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2011, 12:15:17 PM »
  OMG  :lol

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
omg noob dweeb hack tard vulch pick Ho ram

with your

JG 52

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2011, 01:20:07 PM »
is it red or white "whine" with cheese i forgot?
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2011, 04:56:25 PM »
why is 200 prefered over a PM?
  If I'm gonna say anything to anyone in this game about anything I'll use 200 just to get it out in the open not hide behind a pm.  Like I say a pm is almost like whispering in your opponents ear and saying for example " your a skill-less vulch hoer that doesnt know how to do anything but...."  but on 200 everybody tuned to it is gonna see how lame you are for crying in the first place.  NO MATTER WHAT crying to your opponent about being vulched, hoed whatever is lame, up another cartoon plane and try again.  :bhead
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2011, 08:48:16 AM »
  If I'm gonna say anything to anyone in this game about anything I'll use 200 just to get it out in the open not hide behind a pm.  Like I say a pm is almost like whispering in your opponents ear and saying for example " your a skill-less vulch hoer that doesnt know how to do anything but...."  but on 200 everybody tuned to it is gonna see how lame you are for crying in the first place.  NO MATTER WHAT crying to your opponent about being vulched, hoed whatever is lame, up another cartoon plane and try again.  :bhead

So saying that it public is better for the folks involved, and the game? Hmmm, I don't think I see the logic in that. This seems to be the stance of folks who need the 200 jury to back them up.

Doesn't the term Mano e Mano have apeal anymore?  :aok

:salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2011, 08:51:17 AM »
So saying that it public is better for the folks involved, and the game? Hmmm, I don't think I see the logic in that. This seems to be the stance of folks who need the 200 jury to back them up.

Doesn't the term Mano e Mano have apeal anymore?  :aok

:salute

Mano a mano requires 2 men.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2011, 09:12:52 AM »
Mano a mano requires 2 men.

Well said Shuffer.  :salute
Who is John Galt?