Author Topic: Footage from test-ditching a B-24  (Read 971 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Footage from test-ditching a B-24
« on: October 03, 2013, 04:47:37 PM »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: Footage from test-ditching a B-24
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:54:28 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjadMxpXprk

Pretty interesting.
:airplane: Wow! Interesting to say the least! Wonder why, just after full contact with water of the belly of the 24, why did the nose balloon up like it did?
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »
The images of the interior showing the "reinforcement" that was damaged did not look like a stock B-24.  A bit hard to tell with the tight zoom and damage but appeared to have extra frames low in the bombbay.

Interesting vid, have seen that before.  Man, how'd you like to come to work and find out you get to ditch an airplane that as a bad rep when ditching.  WTH did I do?!?! :D
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:37:17 PM »
Wonder why, just after full contact with water of the belly of the 24, why did the nose balloon up like it did?

It looks like it pitched up when the tail entered the water.  Maybe something on the tail pushed down when it hit.  Either that, or a pressure wave built up under the fuselage when hit.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 11:02:31 AM »
Looks like pressure dragged the tail down when it hit water.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 11:37:19 AM »
they should have given the pilot a gopro helmet cam
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:43:35 PM »
good stuff :)  :aok

1) in AH wouldn't we be able to ditch at lower speed and lower approach speed?

2) It looks like the plane is flying boat, the belly seems adapted for the spash and the 24 takes ages to sink  :) but I wouldn't like to be in the middle at the crashe's times

3 the pilot emerging from the wreck seem highly stressed and is hastily fixes his hair  :rock balls of steel

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 06:36:22 PM »
The P-51 allegedly was so dangerous to ditch in that pilots were instructed to bail out rather than ditch.  I imagine this was due to the radiator scoop.  What did this cause the P-51 to do, flip over?
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
good stuff :)  :aok

1) in AH wouldn't we be able to ditch at lower speed and lower approach speed?

Yes and no.  The B-24 will fly slower at the weights used in the test, you can get down to around 85IAS where you'll get some buffet.

What I've heard in hangar talk about ditching is you first and foremost want a controlled contact with the water.  Many feel, I agree, that a power on approach and touchdown would be best.  If you try to get down to absolute minimum speed you'll have the nose pretty high, upon contact it slams down, digs in and makes for an abrupt stop.  And of course if you screw the pooch and drop it in trying to get real slow it would be less than optimum.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
The P-51 allegedly was so dangerous to ditch in that pilots were instructed to bail out rather than ditch.  I imagine this was due to the radiator scoop.  What did this cause the P-51 to do, flip over?

Intake catchs water, digs in and tears tail off airplane, airplane sinks quickly.
Columbo

Offline Valkyrie

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
My Grandfather ditched a B-24D bearing 232 from Malta on 9-15-1943. They were cross controlled having taken rudder and elevator damage and hit the water at 100knots. The aircraft was on the surface for 4 minutes after impact, enough time for him to get the radio operator out. The ditching was so severe that the top turret dislodged and killed the assistant engineer and engineer who were braced against the pilots seat on the flight deck. the navigator in the rear didn't make it out of the ship either. Both pilots were ejected through the front wind screen on impact. It's MACR number 650. I have the accou t given by the bombardier.

In that b-24 ditch test they kept the nose to high and the tail plane contacted the water forcing the nose up. That is the basis for the advice to contact the water just a little above level. It's
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:14:25 PM by Valkyrie »

Offline AH_WOODY

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 01:30:51 PM »
Sweet, and with new water models coming in AH, this could be interesting  :rock
Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.— Derek Robinson, Piece of Cake, 1983.

Marauders FS