Author Topic: Frustration...  (Read 3075 times)

Offline lutzmax

• Zinc Member
Re: Frustration...
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2011, 07:05:03 PM »
Thanks Fugi.  I wonder what their definition of 'works best' was at the time?  Was ENY part of the game then?  If some of the load-levelling parameters are new it is time to retest the hypothesis.

Having one map with bases opening and closing strikes me as the most elegant solution...at least as an early concept.  Limiting the number/amount of uppers/resources based on field size would be fairly complicated I think.  Might be an interesting strategic aspect. 
Certainly worth kicking it around though.

Another thought: Assuming that HTC believes that being in a squad is good for keeping players, perhaps he should allow squad members to join a closed arena IF there are already N squaddies in that arena.  Be nice to give squads a tangible benefit for being a squad.
FBGoetz

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2011, 07:11:58 PM »
Why don't we institute a system whereby people can decide which side to fly on, which base to take off from and what plane to fly.

Oh, wait...we already have that.

It doesn't seem to work very well, does it.  You can't change human nature very easily...especially when it's grown men acting like little kids.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2011, 07:21:17 PM »
stupid system hang...double post.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:52:27 PM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline lutzmax

• Zinc Member
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2011, 07:35:18 PM »
double post
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:43:10 PM by lutzmax »
FBGoetz

Offline lutzmax

• Zinc Member
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2011, 10:04:02 PM »
I make no judgements as to the reasons people play the way they do.  It matters not.  Focus should be on incenting people to do naturally those things that are best for the game.  Its like putting together compensation plans for salespeople.

Some people are chesspiece-loyal.  Some will switch sides hoping to even up the fight.  Some will switch sides so that they get the ueberride to take advantage of enemy targets floundering in their Bostons and C2s.  Who cares?  :cool: 

Maybe the shortcut to dealing with imbalance issues is to only allow squads to select a country.  Everyone else gets load-balanced. You could also make it that only squads get to select a LW arena...everyone else gets assigned. Side-switching would be only intermittently available...perhaps once every 2 hours. 
FBGoetz

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »
Thanks Fugi.  I wonder what their definition of 'works best' was at the time?  Was ENY part of the game then?  If some of the load-levelling parameters are new it is time to retest the hypothesis.

Having one map with bases opening and closing strikes me as the most elegant solution...at least as an early concept.  Limiting the number/amount of uppers/resources based on field size would be fairly complicated I think.  Might be an interesting strategic aspect. 
Certainly worth kicking it around though.

Another thought: Assuming that HTC believes that being in a squad is good for keeping players, perhaps he should allow squad members to join a closed arena IF there are already N squaddies in that arena.  Be nice to give squads a tangible benefit for being a squad.

Not that I'm trying to shot down your ideas here, but ....

Building something to FORCE players to defend a base, or hold a freshly captured base will not work. Some people are just after captures, and couldn't care less if they lose the base while they are capturing the next. Other play to fight and don't care which base they are upping from, as long as they can up they are ok.

At this point, I don't think the game has enough players to support a split arena. So personally I don't think we need caps at this point either. Should the economy turn around or a new commercial run on the History channel and the numbers go back up to that "unhealthy" point again, I'd be happy to see the split come back.

With the caps in place however, letting squad mates join their squad in a capped arena would cause more trouble than just opening it. Figure that even if it was 50% of players (I'm sure it is much more) are in squads. As long as one of the squadmates are in the capped arena they could get in. That could be adding 50-100 especially if a squady "squats" the arena to get his buddies in that night for squad ops.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2011, 02:37:02 AM »
HTC REALLY have to do something about this pretty soon.

Yesterday after closing arena, one arena was capped to 100 like usual, and the other arena could not get over 35 players the first 20-25 minutes.
Can you have a good fight with 30 online ? yes in theory, if you have a few places where you must fight, not a whole continent front to select from.

10 vs 10 vs 10 can be a good fight if you are closing and graying out fields (front line ) according to # of players -  IF they absolutely must have 2 arenas.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2011, 06:27:56 AM »
Last night around 9:30 CDST  I got into the big arena (195/200) and flew 3 sectors chasing a shifting red dar bar  - just before I'd reach a base, the dar bar would shift to the next sector.  I never saw another plane, and when I got a message about terrain changing in 3 mins I just logged and found something else to do.

One arena, please.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2011, 09:51:39 AM »
If they want to force people to fight for bases rather than just hover over them scoring vulches, they should make a certain percentage of bases only available to certain types of planes.

Maybe allowing buffs and jabo late war jabo from only the large fields...

This would add incentive to capture a base so people could have thier favorite rides where they want thier favorite rides rather than upping from a field far away from the action.

Offline lutzmax

• Zinc Member
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »
Fugi:
When I suggested that squaddies be able to enter locked arenas I used the term 'N' to represent the number of squaddies already in the closed arena.  'N' is a representation of an unknown number, at least the way I use it, so your contention of 'one squad member' in a closed arena being enough for others to join is only true if that is the parameter that HTC would use...and a pretty unlikely parameter in my mind.  More likely HTC would require 4-5 squaddies in a closed arena before additional squaddies are allowed.
FBGoetz

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2011, 01:50:29 PM »
One arena it will be....................
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)