Author Topic: SO MP3 or WAV  (Read 582 times)

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
SO MP3 or WAV
« on: June 03, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »
 MP3 or WAV what has the better sound also if you could post what encode you use for the WAV or MP3
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: SO MP3 or WAV
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:52:36 PM »
http://www.angelfire.com/vt2/tommymc3/MP3vsWav.html

as good of an explanation as i've seen...i use lame mp3 encoder...don't know about anyone else.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 06:40:53 PM »
What's the sample rate you have to use for AH?
I'm guessing that (speaking in the context of AH) you could take a .wav recorded at a much higher sample rate than is compatible with the game and then compress it to a decent bitrate. Then again I don't know what the specifications of the MP3 have to be.

Does the overhead of uncompressing MP3 files actually amount to anything?

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 06:44:16 PM »
well for AH im liking wav. he is the code i use

PCM uncompressed 6000hz 16bit stereo

now my question is is the code above the best for AH sounds

(would like answer from a sound maker )

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 04:36:54 PM »
MP3 is a lossy format, so the more it is compressed down, the more data is tossed.  MP3 will incur higher overheads for playback than WAV will, given all other things being equal (sample rate, bit depth...).

If you playback an MP3 and a WAV, that were recorded the same, neither would match the original, exactly.  PCM introduces some artifacting which is sometimes heard as harmonics in a WAV file (sample rate and bit depth will impact this).  MP3 tosses subtle changes as the human ear is not supposed to be able to hear them anyway (sample rate and bit depth will impact this).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ninthmessiah

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 09:12:41 AM »
WAV is better, but you wont hear the difference if the mp3 bitrate is high enough.  If you've bought a CD within the past 15 years, it was likely recorded at 24bit, 96khz in wav/pcm format.  It was then dithered down to 16bit, 44khz for CD production.  This is what you hear when you jam from the actual CD.  Mp3 compresses the data and introduces artifacts most noticeable in the hi-hats and cymbals if the bitrate is low enough.  I can tell a low bitrate mp3 by the "digital" sound of the cymbals.  Above 123kbps you won't hear a difference.  FLAC and proprietary formats is a can of worms I don't want to look at.

Unless your an audiophile, just go with mp3. 

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 03:05:54 PM »
WAV is better, but you wont hear the difference if the mp3 bitrate is high enough.  If you've bought a CD within the past 15 years, it was likely recorded at 24bit, 96khz in wav/pcm format.  It was then dithered down to 16bit, 44khz for CD production.  This is what you hear when you jam from the actual CD.  Mp3 compresses the data and introduces artifacts most noticeable in the hi-hats and cymbals if the bitrate is low enough.  I can tell a low bitrate mp3 by the "digital" sound of the cymbals.  Above 123kbps you won't hear a difference.  FLAC and proprietary formats is a can of worms I don't want to look at.

Unless your an audiophile, just go with mp3. 
im a audiophile :)