Author Topic: 3Q Scenario Announced: Coral Sea - The First Carrier Battle  (Read 5491 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: 3Q Scenario Announced: Coral Sea - The First Carrier Battle
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 02:03:04 PM »
Before BoB is reran we are waiting on a couple things to show of which we would need at least one.. and I do NOT have any info on when or if that will occur.

He111?

My gawd I think I'd register as a Luftwaffe bomber pilot if we got that'n

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »
IMO, We really need Ju-88A-1 or He-111H to do BOB again. It *can* be run with the same old planeset, but it really breaks the illusion when Spits can barely keep up with bombers and Hurricanes can't even barely keep up.

It wouldn't hurt to have re-modeled hurricanes and 110Cs, either! Hurricanes currently roll way too fast and 110Cs seem excessively nimble (and have about 40hp too much per engine -- minor point but it has been mentioned before as a gripe)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
+1 to your points, Krusty.   Would prefer the Heinkel myself.  Much more elegant bomber and the sight of it inspires thoughts of the battle.

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »
Got Maps?

I am chomping at the bit for Coral Sea...and it cannot come soon enough...

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:12:16 PM by oneway »

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 10:44:30 PM »

You remember the fun us VTs had last time, don't ya?  :D   I think I may of snagged Waystin's ear about it, most of us pigs might try to go with a VT as a result, let us know if ya want to team up.

Yes I do...

This is gonna be a great event...I love side switch...all the carping and braying is muted after its over...

Mental Chess at 300 mph....

:aok

Let the games begin...

:cheers:

Oneway

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 01:01:55 AM »
Same auto AAA lethality and unmanable 5" and 40mms ship guns as before?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 05:43:53 AM »
I'll be there but only as a twin engine bomber pilot.  This is my busy time at work and can't take on any CO responsibility.

:salute
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »
To Whoever Steps Up for the CO spots...

Hanging a shingle out for: map making services, flight data and testing, statistical analysis and data processing services, walkon pilot assignment duties,  and a Group Leader assignment for a Torpedo Squad (TBM, B5N)...

Oneway

Hanging with ya Oneway.  Keep me updated and the Pigs will follow.  We can help staff the Torpedo group and probably some FG's as well.

PS-You really want to have some fun, come to Pig vox tonight for our official unofficial squad night tonight.  Always a huge party!

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 01:43:07 PM »
Hanging with ya Oneway.  Keep me updated and the Pigs will follow.  We can help staff the Torpedo group and probably some FG's as well.

PS-You really want to have some fun, come to Pig vox tonight for our official unofficial squad night tonight.  Always a huge party!

Way

Were such loyal Pigs....... oh yea tonight, i just bought some rum and i never drink but a few times a year so tonight i'll be in that come get some mood  :cheers:  :devil  Waystin it could be a 262 fighter sweep night MUHahahaaaaa
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »
3Q Coral Sea Wish List:

• Pre-dawn carrier aircraft launches (as in night)
  • Post-dusk carrier aircraft recovery (as in night)
  • Use of PT boats from the South East Port Moresby spawn (P13 ~ 7.10.9.5) to emulate submarines
  • Winds starting at sea level (0 & ^) for frames 1 and 3
  • Unpublished winds
  • Variable winds that change during the frame; wind shifts

:bolt:

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »
3Q Coral Sea Wish List:

• Pre-dawn carrier aircraft launches (as in night)
  • Post-dusk carrier aircraft recovery (as in night)

We sort of had that in last running of it.  ROC has been having problems with time acceleration, so not sure if he is going to do it this time, alas.

Predawn -- cv's turning into wind

Landing after dark

• Use of PT boats from the South East Port Moresby spawn (P13 ~ 7.10.9.5) to emulate submarines

We did that in 1st running of Coral Sea, but it ends up being a big surface fleet engagement, not submarine like.  (Pics here:  http://electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/scenarios/coral_sea/frame2_pictorial.html ).

• Winds starting at sea level (0 & ^) for frames 1 and 3

We did sea-level wind in the 1st running, but there is (still, as far as I know) an apsect to sea-level wind in Aces High:  it greatly affects LVT's in the water.  With a 10 mph surface wind, a 10 mph vector is added to your LVT's normal vector.  Your LVT makes no headway into the wind, etc.  This affected the 1st Coral Sea and Stalin's Fourth, so we decided not to have surface wind in Coral Sea 2009.  If it doesn't affect LVT's that way any more, then I too think we should have surface wind back.

• Unpublished winds

That's doable -- not sure how the rest of the player base feels about it.

• Variable winds that change during the frame; wind shifts

This is more of a pain to do during the event than the benefit of doing it is worth, in my opinion.
[/list]

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 05:45:54 PM »
No need for LVT in Frames 1 and 3...thus maybe we can try it (wind) again for those frames?

I found the whole manual intervention thing with the boats in the last frame kind of ponderous and lame (they had to be pointed into an imaginary wind to launch and recover)...that was such management hassle overhead that really took some of the luster off the event for the commanders...not to mention you end up 'cheating' by accident...

Felt terrible...

I wish HT could fix or scrub out wind effects on waterborne vehicles (LVT, PT's etc) so we can some day actually let the wind  be the wind...

As to wind shifts...its 30 second arena - environment change during a frame...even faster if you program a macro to handle it...

Anything that changes the linear nature of an event is good in my book...

How about a Solar Eclipse?

LOL

Oneway

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 07:23:21 PM »
As to wind shifts...its 30 second arena - environment change during a frame...even faster if you program a macro to handle it...

Any change, no matter how trivial, during a running scenario introduces dangers.  All you have to do is mistakenly get another digit in there, and you wipe people out and ruin the whole frame.  Probability of doing that is low, but not zero, and cost if it happens is enormous.  P * C is then not trivial for a minor benefit.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »
Oneway, believe it or not, some of us do know how long it takes to change a wind setting  :D

Changing certain settings during an event has a nasty habit of affecting other things, completely unrelated.  So, it is more important that stability win out over risk.

ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 07:51:35 PM »
Oneway, believe it or not, some of us do know how long it takes to change a wind setting  :D

Changing certain settings during an event has a nasty habit of affecting other things, completely unrelated.  So, it is more important that stability win out over risk.

I was thinking the same thing ROC after I posted that response to Brooke...

Its one thing to recover at frame start from a dynamic settings change...

Its an entirely different can of worms to attempt to recover from an errant and accidental setting mid frame...

As much as I would love to see random obstacles thrown up...this is certainly not an idea even worthy of further consideration...(mid frame wind changes)..

You guys are right and I am wrong...

Harumph

However....As to random obstacles and challenges...I am steadfast...lets find a way to make it difficult and dynamic for the commanders/planners...

That wind thing in frame 4 (Rangoon) was positively invigorating...like a drug...I want more or it...

Salute

Oneway
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:32:54 PM by oneway »