Author Topic: Yak-9U  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
Re: Yak-9U
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 11:14:08 AM »
I landed some of my first multi-kill sorties in the Yak.  It's a fun plane to fly, but after transitioning to other birds I found I'd lost my touch with the guns.  I wish the thing had just a bit more long range punch.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline TWC_Jaxx

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »
I've always like the 9U and have been flying it more often lately.  Would like to hear more about the 9U vs D-Hog.  The 9U wanted to spin and the D was cutting angles on me fast.  Someone said the trick was to get the D's flaps out then take him vertical.  You talkin more of a chandelle type vertical move or an over the top, rope a dope move? 
TWC_Jaxx
Training Officer
The Wrecking Crew- www.twcclan.com

Never leave your wingman... trust in him always.... never die alone.

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 04:49:18 PM »
All, I've discovered what a little gem the 9U is and would like to know some tips on how to fly it more effectively. Besides "keep it fast", what else should I pay attention too?

So far I've learned the visability is great, as well as the climb rate and acceleration. I can deal with the light ammo load, as a full tank of gas will run out about the same time as the bullets for me. She even seems to turn great too (over 250mph)

Biggest problem...can't hit anything...lots of assists, but few kills. Help?

Hi apcampbell and friends.

One has to develop some firing discipline when flying Yak-9U. Not much ammo...

Please check my post in this old thread:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,274715.15.html

Posted a film there. Yak-9U vs K4. One of the best fights I ever had in AH. Was lucky that day. Big salute to Hopper! Great flyer and Gentleman. :aok :salute

Maybe you can get something from that film.

I have many others, and I also have a custom gunsight.

If you wish, I can post them.

Mutley.  :salute
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 05:40:17 PM »
Bravo MutleyBR  :aok

Yes, pls, would like for u to post MORE of ur films PLUS ur custom gunsight.   :cheers:  :salute

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 11:53:49 AM »
Yak 9u compresses in a dive without much warning.  9T turns a little better.

Ans yes the 9U can just about out turn any american ride...

viva la YAK
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 12:19:53 PM »
in my lil experience with it,
my g-6 turns better than the jak9u and in a smaller turn radius. In the other hand, its superior to the pony and about in par with the p38. Pretty dang fast, a bit above average climb, unlimited wep.
In a BnZ situaton, get close, hit the opponent with short bursts, that 20mm can do the job.
GL
AoM
City of ice

Offline chewie86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 02:26:35 PM »
in my lil experience with it,
my g-6 turns better than the jak9u and in a smaller turn radius. In the other hand, its superior to the pony and about in par with the p38. Pretty dang fast, a bit above average climb, unlimited wep.
In a BnZ situaton, get close, hit the opponent with short bursts, that 20mm can do the job.
GL

debrody, your G6 gave me hard times, always, either when I was the 9T or 9U honcho.

as far as I remember:
9U = use the vert fight near stall speeds
9T = great roller and get used to the 37mm, one shot one kill.

chewi
Lube & Shame "peneduro"
My AH2 videos
SDL SEASON 1 Champions:
Loose Deuce
, ~Black Leather & Pink Slippers~

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 04:23:09 PM »
I've flown the Yak-9U as my main ride for probably 2 years now, excepting the times when I was learning an aircraft for scenarios.  That said, I'm a pretty untrained pilot, barely spent any time with trainers, so my stats aren't that good.  I don't measure my fun by my kill stats, so it doesn't really bother me.

The guns are the biggest weakness.  They might be ok if they had a larger ammo load, but they don't.  They shoot straight and for sure can be deadly, but you can't just hit the enemy aircraft, you have to put the rounds into a specific vulnerable place, destroy something important on the enemy aircraft, and then let it drop out of the sky, hoping the two-weekers don't steal your kill on its way down.  Good opposing pilots know this and willingly give you deflection shots while setting up a reversal, knowing you probably can't do enough damage until they are behind you.

I have a lot of problems with late war Spits because their acceleration is so great and the Yak's only advantage is higher top speed.  It takes long enough to get to top speed that a Spit safely behind will catch up before the Yak pulls away.  Diving for speed doesn't help because the Yak is lighter than the Spit, and at equal speeds has less E to gain.  Climbing doesn't help because Spits climb faster.  Turning doesn't help because Spits turn better, at least once below the G limit.  There are two solutions I use: 1) Look at the acceleration and speed charts and climb/dive to an altitude that puts the Yak in the best possible altitude to extend.  2) Dive to the deck and hide in the trees.  This last one is a lot of fun even if I get shot down.  I fly around between the gaps in the trees at max speed, under the treetops, knowing that the Yak has one of the smallest wingspans in the game and can fit through spaces other aircraft cannot.

Also the 109-G4s are the super-ride of the day and if flown right you will never get more than one quick shot at them, and never be able to escape them either.  The Yak is also out-performed by many other aircraft commonly found in the LWMA, but you don't fly a 23 ENY aircraft without accepting that fact when you take it out of the hanger.

The Yak is fun to get kills in knowing you are slightly outmatched flying it.  Steve (who I don't see around any more) used to say that Yaks were a P-51 killer.  I like fighting P-51s, the good pilots still beat me but I usually learn something when they do.

I typically don't even bother shooting until I see 400 on the distance counter.  I like 200 a lot better.  The Yak has great upwards views but a very poor over the nose view, which makes deflection shooting while turning even harder.  As for fuel, if I have to fly a sector or more I usually take 100%.  If the field is about to get vulched I take 50%.  In between 75%.  There is definitely a difference in taking less gas, performance-wise, but its not huge.  It also glides very well, especially with the props feathered, but I have a really hard time seeing anything with an oil leak.

One more thing, the Yak is a bullet sponge, especially for non-cannon rounds from long distance.  I've felt like that History Channel P-47 at times.  You don't want to be taking cannon rounds though, you'll survive a couple spread out but not many or any to the same place as a previous one.  Oil leaks are fairly common, radiator hits are less common but you don't have much time left if it happens.  Fuel leaks are uncommon but they do happen, the usually don't get lit but sometimes do.  If you're not on fire they aren't a big deal, they just cut your fuel in half, which makes your aircraft lighter and more deadly.  Expend your ammo and go back home.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:32:57 PM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »
Oh Trikky and Fariz where have you gone?  this guy needs a Yak FPH!!!!  on the double.

Fariz should be back in a couple weeks. He was my FPH back in the days  :banana:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 10:48:46 AM »
wall'o'text

Couple things.
 - Hits are no longer recorded when the plane is missing a vital part, IE you will always get the kill no matter who is shooting it, they won't even get the assist.
 - I agree with your mate, the Yak is a pony killer...its faster at some altitudes, accelerates better, maneuverability is mostly better....the only pilot I can remember owning my yak in a pony is Kazaa.
 - Its indeed a bullet sponge, but you will often get wounded. The hit box for the motor cannon is a bit odd, as I often lost it to puff ack with the engine was ok  :headscratch:
 - As for Yak vs 109's, my observations are that the G14 and lower are more maneuverable but a bit slower, while the K4 is faster but less maneuverable.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:51:17 AM by Noir »
now posting as SirNuke

Offline prono

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 11:26:07 AM »
When eny was to high for la7 1olo's second plane was yak-9U. I always wondered why not la5 but yak. There must be something in that plane. I had his track of 8 kills in yak-9u while base defence. I'll dig for it.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »
I'll break out the yaks for a month just to see if it is still as fun as it used to be!1 of course I am starting a bit late in the month!

http://youtu.be/3eJFe-rE4y0
Flying since tour 71.