Author Topic: late war arena cap  (Read 3530 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: late war arena cap
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2011, 07:23:46 AM »
2x LW arenas, with map-specific fixed arena caps ... :pray

71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2011, 07:48:10 AM »
2x LW arenas, with map-specific fixed arena caps ... :pray

And then you will have the same problem again: One full arena, one at 20 players. That's exactly the trouble we had to deal with.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »
except I dont think the numbers work out like that, up to the fixed cap being reached I'd say its more like:

NLWB = (0.05+(0.15*NLWO/CapLWO))*NLWO

I'm pretty sure about the 5%, the 15% is more of a hunch.

Now if only someone had real data from just after the WWI arena introduction to check my model against ... ;)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2011, 08:16:23 AM »
:huh
yes man
n. Informal
One who slavishly agrees with a superior.

mouthbreather

1. literally, someone who lacks enough intelligence that they never learned to breathe through their nose.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2011, 08:18:07 AM »
except I dont think the numbers work out like that, up to the fixed cap being reached I'd say its more like:

We do not to take guesses or calculate it. We have already been there.
We had experiences and tracked numbers with that stuff for years in the LW arenas. Literally. Because for all practical purposes, when the caps set in, they were fixed for the first few hours. LWO was full with 100 or 200 people, no one could get in there, and the other arena is about empty.  Because they  didn't fill up in a balanced way. One arena will grow until it's reaching it's caps limit, and any player coming too late will stand in front of an almost empty arena. Which results in many folks either logging of, or doing the refresh game. The arena boot at switchover was instated just because of this phenomenon.  A simple fixed cap will create totally unbalanced arenas.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:20:22 AM by Lusche »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
the difference with fixed caps is that right up til the cap is reached you can choose where you want to fly, and when the cap is reached, the other arena is almost up to decent numbers. the biggest problem with the dynamic caps was exactly that - you were forced to join an arena with just 20 players in. if the cap is fixed at 450-600 rather than starting dynamically at 100, the other arena will have more like 100 in it by the time you are forced to chose it.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2011, 08:36:21 AM »
the difference with fixed caps is that right up til the cap is reached you can choose where you want to fly, and when the cap is reached, the other arena is almost up to decent numbers.

Why would the other arena suddenly be up to decent numbers?

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2011, 08:45:44 AM »
mouthbreather

1. literally, someone who lacks enough intelligence that they never learned to breathe through their nose.

You must be a yes man if you are defending an arena set up that is clearly an epic mistake by HTC.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:50 AM »
Why is there even a CAP anymore? Shouldn't it just say how many are on that server and nothing else?

I.e. "Late War Arena - 405" instead of "Late War Arena - 405/450"?

P.S. Grizz say what you want about whether you liked it or not, that doesn't make it a "mistake" IMO.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2011, 08:59:17 AM »
Why would the other arena suddenly be up to decent numbers?

not suddenly but gradually. even with less that 100 in one arena (lets say LWO), consistently ~5% of players prefer the emptier arena (LWB). as the numbers in LWO rise, the % of players who prefer to be in LWB rises too. not by much at first, but the closer LWO gets to being crowded, the higher the % who prefer LWB rises ("its just hordes in LWO, lets go LWB").

given the data on arena numbers and the terrains involved during the post WWI arena uncapped dual LW arenas it would be pretty easy to model how crowding effects player choices.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »
You must be a yes man if you are defending an arena set up that is clearly an epic mistake by HTC.
that is where you made your first mistake...i wasn't defending squat. clearly i was insinuating that the statement i quoted was an absurd childish response that should be treated in such manner.

not one person in this discussion thus far actually knows the actual reasons behind the 450 cap...it is obviously not a good choice considering the number of people who prefer the late war romper room...grown men posting toddler like temper tantrums on the retardnet is worse...especially considering not one of you would talk that way face to face with htc staff.
jarhed  

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
not one person in this discussion thus far actually knows the actual reasons behind the 450 cap...it is obviously not a good choice considering the number of people who prefer the late war romper room...grown men posting toddler like temper tantrums on the retardnet is worse...especially considering not one of you would talk that way face to face with htc staff.

Someone gets it...
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »
not one person in this discussion thus far actually knows the actual reasons behind the 450 cap..

Sure we do, htc oversight.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2011, 10:50:33 AM »
I see it has beenraised to 500 this morning...   Wondering why the small incremental increase...

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2011, 11:03:28 AM »
Sure we do, htc oversight.
in your infinite wisdom, wouldn't want to put any money on that would you?

I see it has beenraised to 500 this morning...   Wondering why the small incremental increase...
jarhed