Author Topic: Panzers  (Read 619 times)

Offline kennyhayes

• Nickel Member
Panzers
« on: June 19, 2011, 10:03:18 PM »
How many tanks were in a average German panzer division (full strength)

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
Re: Panzers
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:54:28 AM »
Divisional strengths changed during the course of the war:

1940- 4 battalions of 100 tanks each.
1941-42- diluted to 200 tanks,with 1 battalion of self-propelled guns
Jan, 1943 - average of 27 tanks per division on the Eastern front, after the debacle at Stalingrad
June,1943 by the time of Kursk, the German Panzer divisions averaged 190 tanks each, with the Waffen SS Panzer divisions having abovestandard numberg of Tigers and Panthers, aside from the Werhmact's Grossdeuchland elite division. After Kursk, the German's never regained full complement of division strength in tanks. As an example, II Panzer Corps lost half its tank strength at Kursk.

The standard battalion consisted of 3-4 companies. Initially, one company was designated as a medium company. By the time of Kursk, however, all the companies had the same type of tanks. During the latter stages of the war, most tank regiments had one battalion equipped with Panzer IVs and another with Panthers or even assault guns (Jagpanzers).

The tank company's normal complement or 22 vehicles was later reduced to 17. For Tiger companies it was 14.

Best I came up with....google it.
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:41:21 PM »
If I recall correctly, there was a wide variety when it came to equipment in a panzer division. One can come up with an average, but it might not be typical.

There is a brief section on the variation in the Jim Dunnegin's book: Dirty Little Secrets of World War II: Military Information No One Told You About the Greatest, Most Terrible War in History,  William Morrow, 1994. ISBN 0-688-12235-3.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »
Ya rufus, my post was just something I found that gave just a general idea of what he was lookin for. I also found a few other sites but did not want to spend too much time trying to find which one sounded best and would be most accurate. As many of us know, things change so quickly on the battlefield and so many variabes must be taken into account when describing a topic like this.  :salute
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline BigKev03

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »
Depends.  If it was an SS Panzer division it was usually a bit stronger than a standard panzer division.  The strength also depended on the time in the war.  Early war divisions were built around a panzer brigade.  Late war divisions had way less.  Maybe a regiment if they were lucky.  Tons of info out there just have to have time to search it and read. 

BigKev