Author Topic: Grilling!  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Grilling!
« on: June 29, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
Tongue-in-cheek grilling humor:

It's time to welcome in the summer by firing up the grill (or is it grille?).  Counterintuitively, we choose to grill during hottest time of the year.  However, I'm not experienced in the art of heating processed animal remains to the point at which they are both palletable and do not pose a health risk.  To compound these difficulties, my grill is utterly filthy, the grill degreaser is only making it angry, and my mom is having me use real wood for the first time ever.

Now to be serious:

I have not cleaned this grill in since last summer, and I left any residue on it from the last grilling.  The grill degreaser has helped somewhat, but there are parts of the grill that no amount of scrubbing has helped.  In addition, my mom claims that the automatically igniting charcoal gives off toxic fumes, and has therefore purchased hardwood charcoal and a bizzare mechanism for igniting it using printer paper.

Can any of you old dogs give a greenhorn some help in cleaning the grill and grilling with real wood?

More grilling humor:
No, I don't plan on burning the house down
Yes, I have my flamesuit on
No, I will not be playing with matches

-Penguin

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
Re: Grilling!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 06:14:31 PM »
Here's How:
Remove cooking grates and set them in warm soapy water to soak.
Fill a small bucket or pan with warm soapy water.
If it's a charcoal grill then remove the coal grate and brush out the insides.
If it's a gas grill, remove briquettes, lava rocks or metal flame shield to expose burner.
Clean out ash and residue from around burner, careful to make sure the burner is in place when you are done.
Use a stiff wire brush and a little soapy water to gently scrub the inside surfaces of the grill.
Remove any particles from grill and reassemble.
If gas, brush off briquettes or lava rocks or wash metal flame shield in warm soapy water.
Remove cooking grates from water and brush clean with the wire brush.
Coat inside surfaces and cooking grates with cooking oil or spray.
Put grates back on grill
Allow the whole grill to air dry.
Allow an extra five minutes of heating time the next time you grill to make sure any cleaning residue has burner off.

Tips:

Keeping grill surfaces lightly coated with cooking oil or spray will make clean up much easier.
If the gas jets are clogged, consider replacing the burner or carefully clean them with a soft wire brush.
Regular cleaning makes the job much easier.

*cough* Google! *cough*  :noid

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:17:04 PM »
Get some standard charcoal, light em, let em get "ready", and put the grill on without food.  Just let the coal get nice and hot under the grill and spread evenly. When the grill heats up enough, a regular ol' grill brush should be able to scrape the old stuff off.

That "bizarre mechanism" wouldn't be a chimney by chance?  If it is, that's what I use because I don't the taste of starter fluid in my food.  Put 2 full sheets of newswpaper in the bottom crumpled up but not tight or it won't burn so well.  Fill the top with coal, light newspaper, wait til coal is white at the top of chimney, pour spread cook.  might want to throw a handful or so on top after spreading.

Hope this all helps..... :cheers:
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:53:18 AM »
If the grill has been used at all, it'll never come clean to look like new again, so don't even try.  I've never used a de-greaser on a grill.  The carbon and grease help protect the grill.  Food chunks get removed with a light brushing.  Ashes get scooped out, spray the grate with Pam, and your ready to go the next time your gonna grill.

I made a grill/smoker from a 55 gallon drum and it currently has 1/16 to 1/8" of smokey, greasy goodness covering the entire interior.  :x
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:55:05 AM »
Oh, darn it.  If only I could get my hands on an extra large autoclave.  That grill would be spotless! :x

-Penguin

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:48:25 PM »
For cleaning the grill's exterior: soap, water, a rag, and elbow grease.  If it's old, a very little bit of WD-40 where needed, wiping it down with a rag when done.  I avoid any degreaser/WD-40/Soap residue near any of the food cooking surfaces or interior.  As others have said, once you properly break in a grill, it shouldn't ever look brand new again.

For the interior: once a year I take everything out and vacum the inside good with a shop vac, empty and clean all the grease catches if any.  Then I super-heat it, usually a little less than an hour before I intend to cook.  From there it's pretty much what I normaly do when I BBQ, take a wire brush and give the pre-heated grill you'll be cooking on a good scrub without cooking yourself, I also try to knock down any balls of grease that might be forming on the underside with the brush, then wait another 5-10 minutes before starting to cook (burn off the stuff you just knocked down).

I don't like instant-light charcoal myself when able to use a chimney device (not gonna lie, love them) or even old-fashioned lighter fluid (you control how much fluid is used).  The chimney devices look flimbsy, but they're really good once you have some practice.  Basicly they're designed to drop down the ignited coals when you lift the device up from it's resting position.  The trickiest part is not using too much newspaper and not using too little.  It doesn't take a lot, but it needs enough to just start, and it's very easy to use too much newspaper and choke out the oxygen flow when you try to ignite it.... and then it gets flimbsy and clumbsy-like as you try to stuff or remove more paper into the bottom of a device designed to drop-down the coals that it's holding up with one smooth action (picking it up).  If done properly, the bottom most coals in the chimney light and it quickly (2-3x quicker than if they were in a "pile") works its way up and ignites the whole cache, then the top ones are white on the corners, lift the chimney, it dumps the coals safely, you do a little spreading, and you're good to go.  If you need more charcoal than your chimney will start, simply pile it onto the lit stuff and resume your standard OP.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:50:26 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »

cleaned and ready in no time :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
Meat now done in half the time!

-Penguin

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »
left over materials add a unique flavor to the food

:noid
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 07:50:04 PM »
As far as grilling goes, on a campfire with mesquite wood is the only way to go.  Gas/charcoal just dosn't taste as good IMO.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »
bring it to the car wash and pressure wash the heck out of it :aok
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying