Author Topic: An apollogy is in order  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2000, 02:29:00 PM »
Last words I am saying on this subject:
Kieren and Creamo and the others that out there that at least tried to understand, NOT condone mind you, but understand the original intent... Thank you.
I went over the line by a far margin, that is for sure and for true.  I am truly sorry you all were dragged into this at all.
Hangtime has known me for quite a while from WB, as have some others of you.  (Hang is probably sending me his cat clippers at this moment.) Yes I have a tendency to curse.  This issue of the slur is the first, repeat first, time ever I have done like it.  I assure you it will not happen again.
However, something Creamo said bears expanding on:
Dago and I go back to WB VF-17.  Our 'traditional' greeting then and now are; "Terne you lamer! (sometimes Mick)"  followed by Dago ya wop 8X!"  Dago I believe is actually Polish, but that is neither here nor there.  The point is "we", all of us are guilty of ethnic slurs and think nothing of it until one person takes offense.
Well said Creamo, and I thank you all for putting this nasty incident behind us.

Good hunting

------------------
O.E. 'Tern' Dillon
"Live to Fly!  Fly to Fight!  Fight to Live!"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2000, 02:32:00 PM »
Just for clarification, and the fact that I am bored to tears (due to a labor dispute which make my department extremely slow these days..)  I don't want anyone to confuse me with:
Rip s-n-o-t
Rip s-h-o-r-t

My favorite food is :

...the latter being something I don't get much of in my diet because they always run too fast!  

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~ XO
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Rip1~Warbirds~)

"Opfer mussen gebracht werden"
— Otto Lilienthal

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 02-18-2000).]

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2000, 03:16:00 PM »
Every body take four deep breathes and relax.  Maybe have a tall cool one.

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2000, 03:22:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
Just for clarification, and the fact that I am bored to tears (due to a labor dispute which make my department extremely slow these days..)  I don't want anyone to confuse me with:
Rip s-n-o-t
Rip s-h-o-r-t

...the latter being something I don't get much of in my diet because they always run too fast!    

Hey now Rip, that is one highly modified Spitfire ya got in your signature.  What model is that again?  :P

------------------
O.E. 'Tern' Dillon

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2000, 05:34:00 PM »
Well, I was gonna email this reply to you personally terne, but you don't have an email addy in your profile.

Was I wrong for posting what you said on the BBS?

yes

Why was I wrong?

Because newcomers stumbling into this BBS and seeing that screenshot might have a misconception of the people that play the game. It could be detrimental to HTC's livelyhood.

As for it being 'wrong' to violate our private conversation, I'm sure you would have loved to keep it private.

"Strike back at the bully thing" in PM to a certain indivdual that had said some rather nasty things about family in general and my mother in particular

Lets be reasonable here. Do not even make like I was at all the agressor. You know better than that. It was friendly ribbing, I even put a smiley beside it to let you know it was just ribbing.

On that subject, why did you not respond a couple of minutes later when I swallowed MY pride and told you on personal channel that I was sorry about your mother and I didn't mean to disrespect her?

FYI - I lost my mother on December 17th last year

I meant it in the game when I tried to make ammends, and I will say it again, I am very sorry about your mother. I am sure that weighs heavy on you. I'm also sure it is something you don't like some stranger on the internet talking about. So I'll shut up about it.

My father has non-hodgkins lymphona, and the future consequences of it are increasingly dreadful for me.  

If you would like to discuss this further, email me at   hblair@warbirds.org   and lets let this thread drop off the board.

<S>

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 02-18-2000).]

Offline scruu

• Zinc Member
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2000, 08:52:00 PM »
Terne, First I must say it takes a big man to admit his mistakes and appologize in public.
A few issues thou,, You may appologized, but some digest it in their way, some will accept it right away, some maybe  alittle hesitant and wait, some may not accept it at all. That is their option, just to make you aware.
Second, It is NOT the written word, but it's intent.
third , you said you have 2 more people with issues, I suggest you, if your appology is from the heart, try to solve these issues, and move on.
IF, i am one one these issues, i accept the appology, and will give you the respect and courtesy, that I expect in return.
fourth, hblair shouldn't of posted, that issue is debateable, but if you never said it ( even in the heat of battle) we would not have this very ugly, but imforative thread.

ScruU - lets move on and have what this game was originally intened for,, and HAVE FUN!!!!!

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2000, 10:39:00 PM »
Kieren

I go by Vermillion, but in game my callsign is just Verm.  This goes back to the old days of AW (since AW4W, where there weren't enough letters to get the whole thing in.

Plus its alot easier to type in "Verm 66666" than "Vermillion 6666".

So if you see me in game its Verm, here on the BBS its Vermillion. Not unless there is someone ELSE with the callsign Vermillion, but they don't show up under the scores page.

Now there was Vermin who went by Verm back in the Warbirds beta (and the AW DOS days).

But I have been Verm in AW since early AW4W, verm-- in WB's since 2.0 and was vrm- before that in 1.11 and earlier (had one other account in WB's back right after the beta, but don't even remember my callsign from then).

But regardless Vermin is Vermin here in Aces High, at least he was during the beta.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2000, 09:31:00 AM »
Sorry Verm(illion)!  

I seemed to remember you bringing this up before (distinguishing yourself from Vermin) when I wrote that piece. Oh, well.  

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2000, 10:47:00 AM »
A clarification if I might;

WOP stands for Without Papers, which basically would cover 95% of the immigrants to the US...

HBLAIR is a squadmate of mine from WB, a helleva nice guy, he ribs/teases people to get them to see that certain behavior (such and using offensive language on 'general' channel is wrong.

MY understanding as to why HTC did NOT place the swastika on the german plane's tails is exactly for the same reason they can not permit racial slurs in private or general, it simply is too hot an issue to even touch.

Terne has apologized, <SALUTEs> to terne

When we forget netettique, we should at least always remember that there is a person on the otherside of the monitor.
It's a game Ladies and Gentlemen, and as a game, if we want people to play with us we need to play nice, and be good boys & girls.

I'm quite certain from my many hours of winging with HB that he harbors no resentment, so if HTC allows Terne back in, this incident would be best served as a footnote to WHAT ACTION WILL BE TAKEN for such behavior, and then moved on from.  

------------------
-CyberPilots have bigger Joysticks-
-----------------------------------
MILENKO Homepage
<===THE ASSASSINS===>Webpage
    milnko@warbirds.org    

Offline Kats

• Zinc Member
      • http://jg27.org
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2000, 02:19:00 PM »
Apologize? It's one thing to call someone an amazinhunk - big deal who cares?

But asking someone if he's black and calling him a cupcake is another thing. There is no apology for that. It goes to the root of his mindset that can only be changed by some serious counseling.

Commending this person, as if to say you can do anything you want as long as you apologize after is weak. He didn't insult one person by those comments, he insulted everyone - what we believe in, our dignity, and everyone who fought for truth, freedom, and decency.

Melodramatic? I don't think so, I could go on.

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2000, 02:55:00 PM »
I am with Kats here :
 2 quotes from hblair's screen shot
=========
Terne : you black?
Terne : squelch me if you don't like it niggah
=========

You may hurl insults in the heat of the moment but it doesn't turn you into a racist. Frankly it's clear to me terne doesn't like black people -he is a racist. His apology doesn't change his opinions, the question is does HTC want his money, it's up to them.

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2000, 03:51:00 PM »

Originally posted by jmccaul:
I am with Kats here :
 2 quotes from hblair's screen shot
=========
...Frankly it's clear to me terne doesn't like black people -he is a racist. His apology doesn't change his opinions, the question is does HTC want his money, it's up to them.
Clearly you are far more bigotted than I, sir.  
Truth justice and the American way?  I fought alongside some of the best Afro-Americans in the world in SE Asia, bub, and I am damned proud to have made their acquaintance!  I've paid my dues to this country and it's misguided people.
Personally, I would recommend you squelch my handle when you logon.
Pyro, if you would please close this thread out, it would be deeply appreciated.

------------------
Tern

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2000, 05:22:00 PM »
Can you explain why these comments and therefore you yourself are not racist? and also how when i say you've made this racial slur and i don't think that being angry turns you into a racist it just brings it to the fore means, Iam biggoted.

I really will be astonished if you can explain away your remarks as anything other than racist slur.

[This message has been edited by jmccaul (edited 02-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by jmccaul (edited 02-19-2000).]

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2000, 05:49:00 PM »
Let

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
An apollogy is in order
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2000, 05:50:00 PM »
it