Author Topic: Upgraded from XP 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit, problem wtith saved settings  (Read 593 times)

Offline lobo3

• Zinc Member
Would appreciate any input, having difficulty installing my old settings, skins, and sound folders. Have done this many times in XP, but, am new to Win7. Could there be a problem trying to install the old files from 32 bit system to new 64 bit? Or is there some security function in Win7 that is stopping me? I am set up as system administrator.
Cheers................... lobo3

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
did you first install ah?  you must do it first then copy skins/sounds/settings.  but I believe you must redo your stick mapping.  at least that's how it was for me, when I switched.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
Are you logged in as a non-administrator? I noticed one thing about AH when installed/run while not logged in as an admin. The saved settings will not save after the exiting the game. However, they will save during the game. I noticed this about 3-4 years ago and haven't tried it since. I found the game seems to run better when not in admin mode, but gave up after resetting the settings many times. My guess was a person had to be logged in with admin privileges or else.

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
i think i have windows 7 32bit...is 64bit better for gaming????
Soooo's I'm standing there i got my ......NM

Offline lobo3

• Zinc Member
I really appreciate the input from you all, and yes I was/am logged on as administrator. I have been able to get my saved sounds file and the skins file to work. I did this by moving there folders into the Aces High folder and then opened them and copied them to the new skins and sounds folders I created.

However, I have not been able to transfer my settings folder, and am in the process of remapping my stick keys and fine tunning the stick inputs.

Regarding the question is a 64 bit system better than a 32 bit system............ Yes it is, if for no other reason, the 64 bit sys will recognize and use all your ram. In the 32 bit system it is limited to seeing only 3 Gigs of ram.

:salute, lobo3

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Lobo,

while I'm no expert it could have something to do with the way AH assigns the JS inputs,since you have changed the usb port,new comp,AH could be assigning your JS to another spot.

Try programming your stick like new,dont setup everything,then try installing the copy of the settings folder.

Since AH will recognize several controllers at a time it could be a simple conflict of the game seeing your JS as sepperate from the old settings.  Wish I knew the tech speak to explain this... :o I've seen this happen when someone just used a different usb port from their normal port and they lost all functions,simply plugging back into the original port allowed the game to "see" the proper settings.

hope this helps,BTW would be better to post this in tech support forum.

:salute

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
ty for answering my question  :salute
Soooo's I'm standing there i got my ......NM

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
I really appreciate the input from you all, and yes I was/am logged on as administrator. I have been able to get my saved sounds file and the skins file to work. I did this by moving there folders into the Aces High folder and then opened them and copied them to the new skins and sounds folders I created.

However, I have not been able to transfer my settings folder, and am in the process of remapping my stick keys and fine tunning the stick inputs.

Regarding the question is a 64 bit system better than a 32 bit system............ Yes it is, if for no other reason, the 64 bit sys will recognize and use all your ram. In the 32 bit system it is limited to seeing only 3 Gigs of ram.

:salute, lobo3

Also, sometimes when trying to copy and paste back up copys of your AH Settings flder, Skins folder, Sounds folder etc...... you will need to first make sure they are not marked as "Read Only" in the properties tab of folder/files

if your backup AH folders are burned to a CD.... then you must first copy them to a temporary location on your HD, after doing this go to each folder and right click, then click properties  uncheck the box that says "read only" and then click apply..... a popup window should come up that will let you select "Change attributes to this folder and all subfolders and files" ...... then  copy and paste it to the correct location.......

another way to do it is ,first just copy and paste all the different folders to their correct locations, once this is done go to each folder ( Settings,  Skins, Sounds, etc....) and right click the folder , click properties and uncheck "Read Only" , click apply, check and save "Change attributes of this Folder and all its subfolders and files" .......... this should have you all fixed up

as far as not picking up your joystick settings...... if you have used your stick before but have unplugged it or switched to a new computer but are using backup copys of your settings/keymappings.......... go ahead and start Aces High
-once you are in the game go to the clipboard and select OPTIONS -> CONTROLS -> MAP CONTROLLERS from the clipboard menu and just assign the axis for each controller only( ie... CH FighterStick X axis, y axis, z axis <---if you use it  ) and save the setting.......

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT RESETTING EACH BUTTON ASSIGNMENT AT THIS TIME  ( they all will pick up automatically after you reboot )

- finish assigning the axis for each controller ( Stick, throttle, pedals ) then calibrate by using the "Calibrate Joystick" button on the clipboard

-now exit out of Aces High and reboot your PC........ once Windows has loaded back go back into Aces High and all your old previously assigned buttons and views etc should be working just like they always did.....

hope this helps................. has always worked for me it should work for anyone else

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline lobo3

• Zinc Member
Many thanks to the training staff, Morfiend and TequilaChaser. Sheese, I didn't even think of posting to tech support........... :confused: Old age and brain freeze kicked in. TC, your explanation was very helpful, I got all my sounds, and skins, but, regarding the settings, I was only able to save my Snefen's Views. I may have mucked something up over the course of the last few days. Just finished setting up the stick will see you all soon.

:salute
Cheers, lobo3