Author Topic: Advice on flying the Dreaded ME262 requested.  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Advice on flying the Dreaded ME262 requested.
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 04:49:53 PM »
In auto speed climb, the speed is constant yet the fuel GPH drops. Therefore it is not speed, but rather altitude (thinner air) which gives it better fuel efficiency.

Hitech confirmed once upon a time that the reason they have sugh a high climb speed is because the engines are more effecient at higher speeds, perhaps due to the point you mention (getting more air). I just don't think it's related to the fuel burn so much.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 04:55:06 PM »
ram effect :aok

(its why the acceleration is better at higher speeds)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Ashley Pomeroy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 02:07:15 PM »
it is not speed, but rather altitude (thinner air) which gives it better fuel efficiency / Hitech confirmed [that] the engines are more effecient at higher speeds

So, do the Me-262's engines become more efficient at higher speeds, or not?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 02:14:34 PM »
So, do the Me-262's engines become more efficient at higher speeds, or not?

I was saying, they become more fuel efficient at higher alts, not higher speeds. They may make more power at higher speeds possibly (I don't know), but this isn't related to being more "efficient" (re: fuel burn)

EDIT: You can test this yourself. You can fly really slow on the deck then floor the throttle. You're at full throttle but at slower speed. Check the gas consumption. The consumption is pretty steady as you accelerate to top speed, but if you start climbing this drops rather rapidly. If you get above 15k it's amazingly long-legged. If you get up to 20k and throttle back to 7500 rpm or so, you get probably 2 hours of flight time.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:16:54 PM by Krusty »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
In auto speed climb, the speed is constant yet the fuel GPH drops. Therefore it is not speed, but rather altitude (thinner air) which gives it better fuel efficiency.

Hitech confirmed once upon a time that the reason they have sugh a high climb speed is because the engines are more effecient at higher speeds, perhaps due to the point you mention (getting more air). I just don't think it's related to the fuel burn so much.

Krusty keep in mind that in auto climb the IAS is constant but the TAS is increasing. This supports the idea that it's the speed increase rather than the altitude.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 05:19:44 PM »
Krusty keep in mind that in auto climb the IAS is constant but the TAS is increasing. This supports the idea that it's the speed increase rather than the altitude.

you don't understand my post above. I said, you can test this by flying near stall in auto level then jamming the throttle full. As soon as you hit full RPM (there is a lag/delay) you will see if the fuel consumption is steady. Altitude is steady, and (I'm pretty sure, going from memory) GPH consumption is steady as the speed increases. Thus it is not the speed that affects GPH, since you just move across a wide part of the speed envelope and it caused no effect.

I would like to test this out myself but my game control setup is hosed and requires me to go through it all again, which I've been putting off for over a week now.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 05:49:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's both speed and altitude.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 11:19:14 AM »
I agree with that notion.   :aok  She is fastest down in the mid alts, but fuel efficiency will continue to increase, even with the decrease in engine performance above 24k.

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »

Would you be willing to test that offline? Just do as I said and leave the E6B up as you do it. As soon as your throttle is maxed RPM on takeoff note the GPH. As soon as you get clear and gear up go level and build up to at least 350+mph or so. Is the GPH the same?

If the answer is: It's the same, then the conclusion is: Speed has nothing to do with it, alt only.

If the answer is: It is less GPH, then the conclusion is: Speed has something to do with it, separate from alt.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 07:04:42 PM »
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:06:38 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »
Thanks Grizz, that confirms it.

My stick configs are totally wiped, like no axes mapped (no buttons too, I think). All my USB stuff got rewired to different ports and on top I installed CH manager so it was all unassociated things by doing that too. Otherwise I'd have jumped offline to test it myself.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
Thanks Grizz, that confirms it.

My stick configs are totally wiped, like no axes mapped (no buttons too, I think). All my USB stuff got rewired to different ports and on top I installed CH manager so it was all unassociated things by doing that too. Otherwise I'd have jumped offline to test it myself.

Yeah I was pretty much 100% positive since I fly the 262 so often but you also seemed pretty certain.  I had to check to see if I was losing my mind.   :airplane:

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 02:56:31 PM »
Myth confirmed :aok

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 09:10:01 PM »
Great news! after 3 Sorties in the MA in the 262. i finally have my first ever confirmed MA 262 kill. and to make it even sweeter, it was on another 262!  :x
http://www.mediafire.com/?qyl7kaabuju3ow1

Happened to run into grizz, chased down a run-away nikki. he was nice enough to fly straight for us.  :aok

Then my last kill of the Sortie. my own little nikki. Who flew perfectly straight for me as well  :aok

l

All suggestions/critisizm on my flying is welcomed. I like the ride and do wish to improve on it. The bullet drop is deff a factor im going to need to work on. (All suggestions should be made with a mouse-user in mind)
 :salute

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2011, 01:43:12 PM »
Great news! after 3 Sorties in the MA in the 262. i finally have my first ever confirmed MA 262 kill. and to make it even sweeter, it was on another 262!  :x
http://www.mediafire.com/?qyl7kaabuju3ow1
(Image removed from quote.)

Happened to run into grizz, chased down a run-away nikki. he was nice enough to fly straight for us.  :aok

Then my last kill of the Sortie. my own little nikki. Who flew perfectly straight for me as well  :aok
l

All suggestions/critisizm on my flying is welcomed. I like the ride and do wish to improve on it. The bullet drop is deff a factor im going to need to work on. (All suggestions should be made with a mouse-user in mind)
 :salute

If you had the E/speed/alt advantage on the other 262 you should of avoided that HO at all costs.  Good way to loose a lot of perkies in a fight that's already yours.  You got lucky to of survived it otherwise, but these things happen anyways given it can be hard at times to tell if your closing in on a target's 12 or 6 in a speedy 262 (A favorite trick of mine in defending myself against one trying to BnZ me).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.