Author Topic: B-17  (Read 4110 times)

Offline cut67

• Nickel Member
      • 483 BG
Re: B-17
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2011, 01:28:30 AM »
formation doesnt get you points

sorry mate, your squaddies are bombers noobs. flying through dar, using pilot seat to turn, not opening doors until over target, slowing down while climbing, etc etc. I could go on and on.
The only real noob in there was Ltryan shimano, me and anthny are experienced and we open bomb doors when in radar range lol flying through dar is fine when your at a certain alt but i got disco'd and things went chaotic i guess
The bombers give the boom and the fighters give the zoom

Offline Raptor05121

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
The only real noob in there was Ltryan shimano, me and anthny are experienced and we open bomb doors when in radar range lol flying through dar is fine when your at a certain alt but i got disco'd and things went chaotic i guess

if anthony was experienced, i must be the most skilled bomber pilot in the game. he had no idea what the HQ did or how much it took to down it. all he knew is he wanted to bomb it. if he knew so much, he wouldnt be making strat runs trying to carpet bomb HQ with 500lbers (chuckle). good luck with the squad.

we're slowly teaching ltryan. the kid is like 12 or something. i remember one Chewie mission he was flying a goon and chew said "EVERYONE, EVERYONE deack town" sure enough here comes ryan over the radio: "how do i deack the town in a goon???"

good times, good times
InGame: xRaptorx of the ***Alchemists***

Quote from: dirtdart
To suggest things that do not meet this basic criteria is equal to masturbation.  It may feel good to you, will not produce any tangible results, and you may be embarrassed if you get caught. 

Offline cut67

• Nickel Member
      • 483 BG
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »
if anthony was experienced, i must be the most skilled bomber pilot in the game. he had no idea what the HQ did or how much it took to down it. all he knew is he wanted to bomb it. if he knew so much, he wouldnt be making strat runs trying to carpet bomb HQ with 500lbers (chuckle). good luck with the squad.

we're slowly teaching ltryan. the kid is like 12 or something. i remember one Chewie mission he was flying a goon and chew said "EVERYONE, EVERYONE deack town" sure enough here comes ryan over the radio: "how do i deack the town in a goon???"

good times, good times
He may not know how much it takes to drop an HQ but that doesnt make you a noob he brings home 15 to 20k plus damage on most of his runs and in that said I do not beleive he is not a noob he can hit his target and that is for damn sure
The bombers give the boom and the fighters give the zoom

Offline Raptor05121

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 04:18:09 PM »
He may not know how much it takes to drop an HQ but that doesnt make you a noob he brings home 15 to 20k plus damage on most of his runs and in that said I do not beleive he is not a noob he can hit his target and that is for damn sure

well from the three runs we did, he didnt hit a damned thing

<S>
InGame: xRaptorx of the ***Alchemists***

Quote from: dirtdart
To suggest things that do not meet this basic criteria is equal to masturbation.  It may feel good to you, will not produce any tangible results, and you may be embarrassed if you get caught. 

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2011, 06:43:28 PM »

so thats about 3-4 towns.
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 01:18:18 PM »
Wheeeeeee!

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2011, 06:46:04 PM »
bombload:B29>Lanc>B24>B17.    B-29>Lanc>B-24>Ju-88

armament:B29>B24>B17>Lanc.  B-29>B-24>B-17>B-26

Armor:B17>B29>Lanc>B24   B-17>B-26>B-29>Lanc

survivability:B29>B17>B24>lanc.  B-29>B-17>B-26>B-24

There, I fix it  :D.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2011, 05:14:05 AM »
There, I fix it  :D.
a b26's wings will break under fire alot faster than a b29/lancs will.

Plus the b24 packs alot more guns and gun positions than the b26. making it more likely to survive.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2011, 06:28:43 AM »

Plus the b24 packs alot more guns and gun positions than the b26. making it more likely to survive.

Actually, the 26 can take a pretty hefty beating before any significant parts fall off. And seeing as it has 6 fixed .50 cals in the nose, 2 in the top turret and 2 in the tail, it has more guns than the Lancaster. Add those two factors plus the great speed of the 26, I would say b29>b17>b26>b24 in terms of survivability.
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »
When dealing with buffs, your attacks should be from the 1-2 o'clock position, or the 10-11 o'clock position.  You will want at least 1-5k alt above them, that way you can zoom in rake em then set back up for another pass.  This is a very effective tactic in the 109k4 or the ta152.  Using this, you can rake the side of the buff with a quick trigger pull, set one or 2 on fire then rinse and repeat.
Also, coming in from those positions from the buffs point of view, it is not very easy for the buff to defend itself effectively.

This is true in theory but nearly impossible when you find a b17 at 35,800 feet going 310mph TAS.

Using this tactic also shows just how hard a true HO is to perform when the one of those involved is not interested in a gunnery run.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2011, 02:13:08 PM »

It most certinaly will not break sooner than a lanc's wing. 3 30mm's have been enough to take a lanc's wing tip off, granted I was chewing him up with 20mm's from D800 to D400 when I cut loose with the 30's, while I have never taken of any major part off a B-26 with less than 5.

And the B-24 has what is likely the most vulnerable wings of all US bombers. Firepower doen't nessicarily equate to survivability.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »
It most certinaly will not break sooner than a lanc's wing. 3 30mm's have been enough to take a lanc's wing tip off, granted I was chewing him up with 20mm's from D800 to D400 when I cut loose with the 30's, while I have never taken of any major part off a B-26 with less than 5.

And the B-24 has what is likely the most vulnerable wings of all US bombers. Firepower doen't nessicarily equate to survivability.
When it comes to survivability, Firepower matters more than armor.

Sure, having super reinforced armor is great, but if you run into say, a 262, those 30mms will be able to shoot through any armor pretty fast unchallenged.

But if your packing massive firepower, you atleast have the ability to get rid of the problem, and save yourself.

A b26 has no ball turret, so if someone was to attack from below (similer to how people like to attack 25s) then the most guns you can have on target in a single b26 is 3-4 (the 2 in the tail gun, along with the waist gunners, depending on how the attacking plane is angled)

In a b24, pretty much all sides are covered (front,top,sides,bottom,back)  Which makes it more likely able to fight off an attacker, then a b26.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »
Ty, believe me from experience, ball turrets don't do much when you've got an enemy surging upwards to shoot you. Sure, a guy can get underneath a 26, but it takes time because of its speed. Then, when you finally get the shot, you lose all your E and have to reset. Most people just break off at that point.
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2011, 05:31:34 PM »
I don't care if you have a damn 5" AA gun mounted in the tail position, it won't save you if your plane will blow up from a single 7.7mm. B-24 has more firepower, but less armor. I personally think B-24's are the second safest heavy bomber to attack (second to the lancaster, which has very weak firepower, but slightly more durable wings)

And concider this: fully half of your firepower in the B-24 is unusable. effectively, you only have about 5 guns covering any one direction in the B-24.

Low 6: ball gun, tail gun, and MAYBE one of the waist guns
High 12: top gun, nose gun, and again, MAYBE one of the waist guns.
low 3/9: ball gun, waist gun
High 3/9: top gun, waist gun

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »
Ty, believe me from experience, ball turrets don't do much when you've got an enemy surging upwards to shoot you. Sure, a guy can get underneath a 26, but it takes time because of its speed. Then, when you finally get the shot, you lose all your E and have to reset. Most people just break off at that point.
But the fact is still there that the b24 has a Ball turret to defend itself from attacks from below, and the b26 doesn't. not counting the accuracy of the gunner, that fact would put it ahead of the b26 simply because the b26 has a glaring weakness, the b24 does not.
And true about the b26, but assuming the attacking plane is a good shot, and packing decent firepower, that unchallenged underneath attack could be all he needs to take out a b26, from personal accounts i find the b26 to be rather fragile, its the reason i fly the b25 over it. i guess maybe statistically the b26 is more armored, but from personal experience i find it to be rather weak.

Also the b24 can carry more ammo in all vital gun positions than the b26 can i believe, which ranks it higher in survivability also.

I don't care if you have a damn 5" AA gun mounted in the tail position, it won't save you if your plane will blow up from a single 7.7mm. B-24 has more firepower, but less armor. I personally think B-24's are the second safest heavy bomber to attack (second to the lancaster, which has very weak firepower, but slightly more durable wings)

And concider this: fully half of your firepower in the B-24 is unusable. effectively, you only have about 5 guns covering any one direction in the B-24.

Low 6: ball gun, tail gun, and MAYBE one of the waist guns
High 12: top gun, nose gun, and again, MAYBE one of the waist guns.
low 3/9: ball gun, waist gun
High 3/9: top gun, waist gun

And it doesnt matter how much armor you have on a bomber if you have no guns that can reach a planes favorite position of attack, sooner or later that armors gonna get chewed up.

and 5 guns on a target is still more guns than a b26 can put on target. Plus the b24's ball turret is 360 degrees, meaning no matter what amount the plane is under you, you can still hit him. The b26 can not.

Think about this, what if you have someone right below your b26, planning on ramming you down? yea ik, it sounds stupid. "why ram a bomber?" but people do it, i personally had my b29's wing rammed in half by a ta152 before.
But anyways, imagine that guy hovering right under your b26, planning on pulling up to ram you. because you lack a ball turret you have no way to defend yourself against that rammer. other than possibly ACM's, But while your in the cocpit trying to pull them off, that plane can pull up on your six and unload into you while your still in the cockpit thinking he's gonna ram ya. 

In a b24, you have the ball turret which atleast gives you a fighting chance against that rammer.