Author Topic: AVA icon settings  (Read 8074 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Re: AVA icon settings
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 10:24:40 AM »
The times I fly in the AVA I enjoy:
3k Friendly
off for Enemy
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2011, 10:41:26 AM »
Ideally what I'd like to see is icons w/out showing range settings, I do like the effect of no icons on maneuvers during a fight but I find the lack of all icons to be a deterrent. 

Given the tools available I would vote for 3K on both friendly and enemy.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Cheese

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »
Ideally what I'd like to see is icons w/out showing range settings, I do like the effect of no icons on maneuvers during a fight but I find the lack of all icons to be a deterrent. 

+1 !!!  6k for both
Pigs on the Wing - Wing II
It's not Easy to be Cheesy!

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2011, 10:05:19 PM »

I'm still liking the idea of an option for the enemies to only have a red dot.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 11:36:14 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I'm still liking the idea of an option for the enemies to only have a red dot.

Coogan

That would work for me as well, I find with no icons at all I just can't see the bad guys, especially against the terrains the whole experience is very frustrating for me.  In many ways I much prefer the AvA to the MA's, I'm a history junkie who likes a good small to medium sized dogfight.  However with the current icon settings I find that I usually just end up frustrated and back in the MA's. 

I can't claim that I would spend 100% of my time in the AvA regardless of what is done with the icons.  But I do believe that a change to a more generous icon setting would mean that I'd spend more time there.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 02:56:42 PM »
The times I fly in the AVA I enjoy:
3k Friendly
off for Enemy

:aok exactly my way

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2011, 04:05:51 PM »

Friend: ZERO
Foe: ZERO

**Member of the No Neon Signs movement**
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 07:20:35 PM »
6k  for both... Those of you who think no icon is a good idea, just turn them off.....
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 07:43:30 PM »
I have played with them off several times.

In the AvA it's easier though because everyone on your country is flying country specific planes.

Juuuust sayin'.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
6k  for both... Those of you who think no icon is a good idea, just turn them off.....

Those of you that like icons, just go to the main arenas.... back atcha :)
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 12:52:40 PM »
Very, very nice.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »

I thought the idea was to get some more traffic in this arena not run them off. :headscratch:
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »
AvA is special for a reason though. It's not meant for your every day MA player. ;)

HiTech

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »
AvA is special for a reason though. It's not meant for your every day MA player. ;)

Hello Marine,

I agree that it's the historical matchups that makes it special. I do not agree it is the lack or use of icons.  Historical stats show little or no use of this arena for some reason.  Why do you think this is?  A sincere question for respectful discussion Sir.

:salute

WAy

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2011, 12:01:36 AM »
Historical stats show little or no use of this arena for some reason.  Why do you think this is?  

I have an opinion on this.

Not necessarily in order of importance.

1st. Equipment limitations. It has to be accepted that more people would rather fly any plane they want at any time.

2nd. Objectives. There is no simple way to have objectives and an automatic win the war reset like the very simple MA base capture system. We are trying to provide this sort of thing manually.

3rd. Perks. There is no way for us to set our own perk prices to fit the scenario, so we have no usable perk system.

4th. Tradition? There has long been controversy and bad blood associated with the arena, and some of that lingers today.

5th. Stability. As the arena uses custom tables they are subject to getting scrambled by server maintenance and such and the arena can often be screwed up when people log in to play

6th. Emptiness breeds emptiness. There is a lemming effect (apologies to Dawger for stealing that line) There is likely a fairly sizable population that does prefer a more historically immersive environment, but it's impossible to get them all in the arena at the same time.

Not wanting to be the first ones in waiting around for others to show up, they trade this preference for the action they can find in the MA.

Finally, the very nature of all this is that the AvA is always trying to find that magic formula that will bring the most success, continually pleasing some and pissing off others, leaving it always in a state of argument and turmoil, but we continue to try, because its our home and we refuse to give up.

:salute

jimson
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:06:29 AM by jimson »