Author Topic: AVA icon settings  (Read 8086 times)

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Re: AVA icon settings
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2011, 10:59:42 AM »
It appears to be 3000 feet or 1000 yards.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2011, 11:14:26 AM »
Looks like the AvA guys had a little advance knowledge of this last update or they are pre-cognizant

No, I only found out about after reading the thread in help and training.

I believe in the prior version there was a minimum listed, but it wasn't hard coded.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »
Pre-Cogs or HTC decided to match the current AvA settings in the code.  :aok

I imagine it will creep up to MA settings over time.

:banana:

:airplane:

:neener:

:cry

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »
It seems so counter intuitive to create H2H arenas were players can customize setups and at the same time eliminate settings that have been around for years. Debates aside, why piss off a part of the player base (folks who prefer no icons) when there's nothing to be gained by it. This won't make the icon debate go away, it will just shift to "why don't we have a no icon option like all the other games?" or "bring back the no icon option we had for years".

There's bound to be a patch for the P-40 gunsite and external artwork issues. Any bets that it will also include a no icon fix?

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
It seems so counter intuitive to create H2H arenas were players can customize setups and at the same time eliminate settings that have been around for years. Debates aside, why piss off a part of the player base (folks who prefer no icons) when there's nothing to be gained by it. This won't make the icon debate go away, it will just shift to "why don't we have a no icon option like all the other games?" or "bring back the no icon option we had for years".

There's bound to be a patch for the P-40 gunsite and external artwork issues. Any bets that it will also include a no icon fix?

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised. Maybe it should be reported as a bug.

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
Maybe it should be reported as a bug.

I see it already has  :D
Good thinking...

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
At least with a reported bug we will know for sure if it is really a bug or an undocumented feature  :O

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »
Now that icons have been on for a month or so, has there been the desired increase in AvA population?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »
No difference that I've seen.

It's a moot point anyway.

HTC has removed the ability to turn icons off, and it's still that way after the patch so apparently no icons is something they don't want anywhere in the game.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2011, 09:29:51 PM »

HTC has removed the ability to turn icons off, and it's still that way after the patch so apparently no icons is something they don't want anywhere in the game.

Thats a shame. I liked having no enemy icons(on most maps).
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2011, 10:22:38 PM »

With that I bid adieu.

No reason to visit HTC forums any longer other than nostalgia.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2011, 10:43:26 PM »

Regardless of what HTC decided, the question still remains.  I agree that there doesn't seem to be an increase . Actually, there appears to be less participation with enemy icons on.  

In previous months with enemy icons off, I seem to remember a few times with 30 or more players in the AvA.  That wasn't every night, but it was fairly common to see a dozen or more.  As such, it would seem that "no enemy icons" was the more preferred configuration.  

Perhaps, we should lobby HTC to reinstate the ability to turn icons off.   :salute

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:13:19 PM by Puma44 »

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »
You can go here and look at the total kill numbers month by month. What factors in the differences is anyone's interpretation.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/scores/planes.php

With that I bid adieu.

No reason to visit HTC forums any longer other than nostalgia.

Take care Dawger, you might check in from time to time to see if there are any new developments.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:54:04 PM by jimson »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2011, 02:51:10 AM »

Do we know if it was an intentional decision or an inadvertent omission/bug?  Has anyone queried HTC about it?  :salute

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »
Do we know if it was an intentional decision or an inadvertent omission/bug?  Has anyone queried HTC about it?  :salute

They don't reply when asked directly... In the beta forum when I asked why the icon question was never answered... my post was removed.. Id say they are making a statement...

I have notest a  drop in participation in the AVA since icons were turned on. That would make sense as the AVA was a ghost town before, with icons on..

Admittedly I was the impetus for the no icon movement in the AvA... I recommended that icons be turned off about a year and a half ago and was granted my wish....I recommended smaller maps, shorter base to base proximity as well as consentrating the available air craft to bases that were in close proximity to each other and turning off or neutering far reaching bases to consentrate action. With those recommendations the AVA  population started to grow there were 30+ nights... squads were coming in the arena had lots of momentum... until certain AvA regulars started to berate folks  for using team work and tactics.. squads like loses deuce and other respectable units pulled away and were run off. I recommended that folks that berate team work in the AvA be ban from the AVA berating players for utilising wing tactics should have never been allowed to take a foot hold...

The decision to turn icons back on was not a good one for the arena.. but the intention was well meaning... Some times you cant see the forest though the trees.

It was simply a bad choice and the proof is in the pudding... Now that they are turned on again... the AVA is slipping back to its former unpopulated sate.

Its a shame really as no icons were actually a draw for many.
It afforded a new and interesting challenge for those that were looking for something different...Unfortunately the topic is polerising and boils down to two groups..
 for those that were dedicated enough to master the no icon style of flight simming...  all of whom are forward thinking guys who utilize new advancements in flight simming like the track ir.. and
 The folks that don't use track Ir. They are the same folks that wanted icons turned back on. That is a shame because there unwillingness to move away from the hat switch held folks back from taking flight simming to the next level. as a result the AvA is slipping backward..

Mediocrity breads mediocrity. "Great spirits will always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds".. Albert Enstine..

Until folks start to see what they are missing and how pure flight simming is w/o icons here in AH, this sim will always be considered a kiddy air quake sim to most in the global flight sim comunity..
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi