Author Topic: P40 Profiles.  (Read 26622 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P40 Profiles.
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2011, 11:06:40 PM »
But you agree it's not some fiery red/orange bird's head, yes?

Found some info on the pilots uniform I think was worn in a couple of those photos.  May be a good jumping off point for comparison to the nose of the aircraft though since the flight suit is a light yellow colour?

WW2 era USAAF flight suits -

A-4

A4 - A very common 1930s flight suit design, the A-4 was the most used flight until around 1943. It was a light weight cotton wool design just perfect for summer and winter flight use. Very few pockets were designed into the suit. They were open style and later war versions issued had zipper pockets added in the field.

A Japanese style uniform similar to the photos just for a possible colour reference.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2011, 09:00:01 AM »
Sadly, no you cannot make such a comparison with black and white shades. It doesn't hold up. Different films show different colors a certain way, and while he may have a yellow flight suit, a suit of tan, or of beige, or of "sand" may all appear the same on B&W. You can get some generalization from the photos, such as color differences, but you cannot equate colors when there isn't any color present.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2011, 03:27:15 PM »
I ran into a japanese artist rendition of the plane made at the time when it was captured. I remember it being bright canary yellow. I'll see if I can find it again.

Also look for a book called "Doomed at the Time"
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2011, 03:32:42 PM »
I ran into a Japanese artist rendition of the plane made at the time when it was captured. I remember it being bright canary yellow. I'll see if I can find it again.

Also look for a book called "Doomed at the Time"
I know the book you are talking about has it pictures or a description?

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2011, 03:42:52 PM »
I know the book you are talking about has it pictures or a description?
Well I tried to find it this A.M. no luck at B&N or the library.
I believe it has both on pages 339 and 340.

Good luck,
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »
I ran into a japanese artist rendition of the plane made at the time when it was captured. I remember it being bright canary yellow. I'll see if I can find it again.

Just found it as well as some clearer photos of previous shots.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t14319.html

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2011, 03:45:07 PM »

Good luck,
Will order it right now. :aok

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2011, 03:58:55 PM »
Just found it as well as some clearer photos of previous shots.

(Image removed from quote.)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t14319.html

yes that was the thread saved me alot of time   :lol  some fantastic shots there.
This maybe from the magazine you mentioned previously.

I think this picture might say quite a bit

could some one translate the text?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:23:52 PM by Megalodon »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »
It says 1000 words without needing translation  :D

Note the colors. Looks pretty standard OD to me, with a different lighter spinner (not uncommon for P-40s).

While the photo isn't the best quality, you can see a solid demarcation between the spinner and cowling, and if there is any paint left over it is nearly gone. I only see slight smudges of it left (unless that's residual noise from the photo itself? Hard to tell). If it was there it was something temporary and gone almost instantly.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2011, 04:51:50 PM »

Good luck,
Think it must be this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Doomed-Start-Philippines-Williams-Ford-University/dp/0890966796

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2011, 05:55:21 PM »
It says 1000 words without needing translation  :D

Note the colors. Looks pretty standard OD to me, with a different lighter spinner (not uncommon for P-40s).

While the photo isn't the best quality, you can see a solid demarcation between the spinner and cowling, and if there is any paint left over it is nearly gone. I only see slight smudges of it left (unless that's residual noise from the photo itself? Hard to tell). If it was there it was something temporary and gone almost instantly.

Did you notice the info I posted prior about US ground crews painting the nose a lighter colour from a book I found?

I think that the nose was painted another colour is just about out of question here Krusty. The book that Megalodon mentioned has info describing the plane as well in this manner from what he recalls. I ordered it to see what is in there as well.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2011, 10:14:20 PM »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2011, 03:46:12 PM »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
I saw the picture but not the caption. I still think there's a difference between decorating the nose, and just slapping some paint on haphazardly. It appears to be the latter. It also appears to have been temporary and weathered/worn away very quickly, because the aircraft in question was fully painted over not long after this point, and none of it would show up then. The photos that do show it run the gamut from semi-fresh to almost-gone. I suspect water-based paint or some such, not meant for airframe use.

Back to the profiles, though, I have 2 I want to do (my current ones), and another in mind. I won't call dibs on skins I haven't yet done, but I think it would be good to get the 68th a skin on the new model.