Author Topic: Help With Textures: JPG or BMP?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Help With Textures: JPG or BMP?
« on: July 11, 2011, 02:26:51 AM »
  Just wondering what would be a good file extension for my texture images.  When I save them as
JPG the images look real good, at the cost of a huge file size.  Saving the images as BMP
results in a bit of a blurry image, but the file size is drastically reduced. 
  I changed one of my missions from JPG to BMP tonight.  With the mission having JPG images,
the file size was around 11MG.  After I changed the images to BMP, the file size was reduced to around 560KB.
I can live with a little blurriness for that big of a reduction in file size. <---Dial-up user.  Size does matter.  :lol

Anyway here's the settings I'm using to save textures in the Mission Editor:

8 Bit
Dithering 7
Dimensions 512 x 512

Should I change something in order to get a clearer image?  I don't want to jump the file size too much...
Thanks for any help.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Help With Textures: JPG or BMP?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:37:31 AM »
Hi mate, I think you may have those two reversed. JPG is usually blurry and much smaller file sizze than BMP.

You should try saving the as PNG files, this can be done even in standard MS paint. PNG files are much smaller file size than BMP but they are better quality than JPG. Give it a shot see how they come out.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 02:45:09 AM »
Hi mate, I think you may have those two reversed. JPG is usually blurry and much smaller file size than BMP.

You should try saving the as PNG files, this can be done even in standard MS paint. PNG files are much smaller file size than BMP but they are better quality than JPG. Give it a shot see how they come out.

I tried the saving the files as PNG, but the mission editor doesn't recognise them.  The JPG files are smaller than the BMP, until I build the mission res library.  The image file is then converted to an HTX file and placed
into the Aces High Mission Res file.  That's where the difference in size takes place.  The JPG file goes through the roof as an HTX file, but the BMP stays the same.  

Coogan  :headscratch:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:50:12 AM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:27:16 AM »
oh ok then I have it wrong, sorry can't help  :confused:
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 06:02:03 PM »
Hi mate, I think you may have those two reversed. JPG is usually blurry and much smaller file sizze than BMP.

That's been my experience too.  Keep in mind you can loose quality if you convert back and forth between formats repeatedly.  No expert here.
<S>

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 07:49:03 PM »
That's been my experience too.  Keep in mind you can loose quality if you convert back and forth between formats repeatedly.  No expert here.
<S>

Very true about converting them so often.  The images I'm experimenting with have been run through the ringer so much, that they have already lost some quality.
I'm thinking that if I start with fresh images, the BMP settings should be fine.

Coogan
Game Id's: