Author Topic: P39D  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: P39D
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »
I don't see it that way with our in-game model Guppy. The only time I've ever really departed was when at the top of a stalled out zoom/loop or at stall speed inverted in a barrel roll with flaps out, and those are recoverable even at relatively low alts.

To me what gets you dead in this plane is the performance specs. Other planes just outfly you and shoot you down. The handling itself is rather normal in my opinion (as-modeled, that is)

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 09:43:29 AM »
P39-D is the better of the P39 line.  With the 20mm you can hit easier and it does not take much to score a kill. It is really great for setting planes on fire.  It has a wicked tailslide kinda what was seen in lepepe's film, and is very easily recovered for a reversal.  Also this bird, you will want to come in with at least 10k in alt and work your way down.  It will turn, but you have to be very careful with it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:28 AM »
I try to avoid the 20mm option... The clip is really short and once I go 20mm on it I have to re-learn the 37mm for several weeks to regain my ability to shoot with it!  :rofl

The 37mm really is the best option, ballistics problems aside. With the 20mm you can get 3-4 solid kills at 15 rounds per kill (assuming you're very good on trigger discipline) but with the 37mm you can get 5-7 kills because it only takes 1 hit. On average I'd say it takes me 20-25 20mm rounds expended to down a plane in a good shot, but only 3-5 37mm shots expended to down a plane. It gives you a lot more "fight" per sortie.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
I don't see it that way with our in-game model Guppy. The only time I've ever really departed was when at the top of a stalled out zoom/loop or at stall speed inverted in a barrel roll with flaps out, and those are recoverable even at relatively low alts.

To me what gets you dead in this plane is the performance specs. Other planes just outfly you and shoot you down. The handling itself is rather normal in my opinion (as-modeled, that is)

But you aren't a newb Krusty :)

I'm suggesting that if you threw a newbie AH pilot into a 39 and sent him out to learn the game, he'd struggle with handling because it isn't a Spit or another easy handling bird.  Remember that it's reputation was built on the words of a lot of new pilots getting into them and the word getting passed on.  Park in his book approaches the 39 with that trepidation and his inexperience shows in his first flights with the snap roll, tumbling off the top of a loop etc.  By the time he's a combat 39 driver he knows the edges and how to get there safely in a 39.

Think B26 Marauder.  Turned out to be very effective in the hands of experienced, qualified pilots.  "One a day in Tampa Bay" wasn't based on the efforts of experienced, qualified pilots :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
I prefer the 39D and I Usually stay in the 10 to 15k range to fight this way if i get into trouble i can dive way building massive e, but when doing this you have to watch it cuz e bleeds fast so SA is crucial and knowing when to fight and when to fold
I also use the 20mm option short bursts work well and when 20`s are out 4 30`s and 2 50`s are just as good when converged at same point

my .02
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 05:58:35 PM »
P39-D is the better of the P39 line.  With the 20mm you can hit easier and it does not take much to score a kill. It is really great for setting planes on fire.  It has a wicked tailslide kinda what was seen in lepepe's film, and is very easily recovered for a reversal.  Also this bird, you will want to come in with at least 10k in alt and work your way down.  It will turn, but you have to be very careful with it.

Er, no. The P-39Q completely owns the D model. Better sustained turn rate, better acceleration, better climb, 15 mph+ faster at critical altitude... The only area where the D model has an advantage is in firepower, assuming the Q doesn't have the under-wing guns installed.

If effectiveness is a measurement, then I'll take the P-39Q over the D model.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.