Author Topic: The famous "Enola gay" and "boxcar"  (Read 10946 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: The famous "Enola gay" and "boxcar"
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 04:20:53 PM »
They are actually talking about something similar in the P40 thread.

We have the "STUD" skin in-game and it was a personal ride for an officer. It never saw combat. 325FG/319FS skin by Octavius.
Juuuuust sayin'. :)

Not a valid comparison, because that was skinned and submitted under the belief that it was a real fighter skin, from what I recall. I traded PMs with him once or twice and I get the impression he just wanted to make a cool looking skin (been there, done that, nothing wrong with it).

Plus, P-40s are being redone so those skins are all going bye-bye.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »
It's still valid.

The skin is there is it not?

Non combat skin in game. My statement still stands. Just like in court, if it happened and there is proof, it doesn't matter if it was an "accident", it's still there.  :aok

Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 04:35:38 PM »
It's still valid.

No, your comparison is NOT valid. Only recently was it found to be a squadron hack. HTC takes forever to remove skins from a game once accepted.

There is a big difference between making a mistake and having a skin accepted, versus submitting a skin in bad faith or through deception.

Further, that is only half the story when it comes to the B-29s in question. They do not represent our in-game B-29 in any way. They were specifically modified, practically unarmed, could not carry conventional ord, only carried A-bombs. They did not fly anywhere else, fly any other missions except practice runs.

Why are you so supportive of skins that have nothing to do with anything in our game?

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 04:55:04 PM »
No, your comparison is NOT valid. Only recently was it found to be a squadron hack. HTC takes forever to remove skins from a game once accepted.

There is a big difference between making a mistake and having a skin accepted, versus submitting a skin in bad faith or through deception.

Further, that is only half the story when it comes to the B-29s in question. They do not represent our in-game B-29 in any way. They were specifically modified, practically unarmed, could not carry conventional ord, only carried A-bombs. They did not fly anywhere else, fly any other missions except practice runs.

Why are you so supportive of skins that have nothing to do with anything in our game?

Has nothing to do with the game? As far as I know the game has representations of WW2 aircraft including the B-29. The two made runs in combat situations. Why not? And who made you grand poobah of all that is skinning.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »
Those shorts they are wearing definitely suits the aircraft name  :bolt:
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 07:49:33 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:09:52 AM by Skuzzy »
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 07:57:47 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:09:25 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 08:02:14 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:09:33 AM by Skuzzy »
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 07:46:34 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:10:02 AM by Skuzzy »
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 09:37:50 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:10:55 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 09:51:15 PM »
See Rule #2

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:11:02 AM by Skuzzy »
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 11:24:45 PM »
Krusty and Wrongway are correct, there are plenty of B-29A aircraft that deserve to be represented by a skin.  No need to do the A-Bombers.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 11:31:36 PM »
Why have a little fun with the skins? I mean this is not a game its serious business.

Why not pink Spitfires, I mean, F4U's?     

:headscratch:

When I say markings based on squadron, I'm talking about actual WWII squadrons, not AH squadrons.  This is not about having custom markings.  Skins are not submitted for a person or squadron's private use.  Forget the word "custom", that's not what this is.  What it is is the ability of a player to add another skin option to a particular plane that EVERYBODY can use.  The purpose of submitting a skin is for everybody to use it.  If that is not why someone is submitting a skin, then they shouldn't submit one.  Period. 

As I said, there is a criteria that must be met for us to admit a user submission.  Basically, it must be something that we would add to the game ourselves.  A skin may not be added for many reasons- quality, historical accuracy, redundancy, adherance to standards, usefulness, sensibility, and representation(i.e. a pink polka-dotted B-24 might be historically accurate as one did exist, but it is not representative of B-24s as it is a unique eccentric specimen nor is it useful and would not be a paint scheme that we would use).  We'll talk about all of that when we get there.

The real feature here is that each plane can have a selection of skins that a player can use.  The ability of a player to make and submit skins for online use is not the feature, it is the mechanism by which the real feature can be usefully implemented(I'm talking from our point of view, it is very much a feature to the skin making enthusiast, but realistically it's probably generous to say that 1 in 100 players fit that description).  If we had unlimited art resources, the latter part would be unneccessary.  But that is not the case and while we would like to have multiple skins for each plane, our resources are best spent in adding new models and improving existing ones rather than adding more skins.  This is the means to facilitate a win-win situation between everyone who wants more skins and those who want to make them.
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 11:50:37 PM »
Also, regarding the earlier P-40 line of discussion, HTC is more rigorous in applying their criteria to AH2 models than they were to AH1 models, just as they are more rigorous in the accuracy of the models themselves (goodbye Bf109K-4 labeled as a Bf109G-10 to get a 20mm option and Merlin 61 Spitfire F.Mk IX with .50 cals, rockets or up to 1000lbs of bombs).

Neither skin is really appropriate and, in addition, neither is particularly visually interesting.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 12:43:31 AM »
I get on Krusty more often then not :)

In this case he's right. 

As for the P40 in Baseler's colors.  We've come a long way since then with skinning and research here.  And for a long time that bird was thought to have flown combat.  In fact it became the CO's hack because it had been damaged in combat a couple of times.  It's also a P40F with a Merlin.  If you want to suggest it be removed from game, that would make perfect sense cause it isn't accurate for a P40E.  We've had some others come out for the same reasons over time.

That is not an argument for doing Enola Gay or Bock's Car on the AH B29
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters