Author Topic: Random game crashes  (Read 557 times)

Offline mef4ud

• Zinc Member
Random game crashes
« on: June 16, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »
Ok so hereit is. 

At the most randoms times I will have Aces High crash.  When I say crash I mean it send back to the in game lobby and then posts a "stoped working" error message.  I used event viewer and got the following information:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>100</Task>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-06-17T01:43:04.000000000Z" />
  <EventRecordID>32735</EventRecordID>
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>The-Beast</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>aceshigh.exe</Data>
  <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
  <Data>4de512b3</Data>
  <Data>aceshigh.exe</Data>
  <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
  <Data>4de512b3</Data>
  <Data>c0000005</Data>
  <Data>0017b36f</Data>
  <Data>15e0</Data>
  <Data>01cc2c8a91fc2948</Data>
  <Data>C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High\aceshigh.exe</Data>
  <Data>C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High\aceshigh.exe</Data>
  <Data>23ea2c07-9883-11e0-bff2-001cc0a3e52b</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Any help woud be greatly appreciated.
Proud Flyer of the F4U's since tour 36.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Random game crashes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:18:34 PM »
I'm still having trouble with the Mindnao map, I'm not sure if his problem is related to mine. I try flying on that map and I always get kicked to desktop, even after deleting and installing the map.

This is the same problem I had months ago, again, with the Mindnao map and one other (at the time, the Philippine map).

Faulting Application Path:   C:\games\Aces High\aceshigh.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
Application Name:   aceshigh.exe
Application Version:   0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp:   4de512b3
Fault Module Name:   aceshigh.exe
Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp:   4de512b3
Exception Code:   c0000005
Exception Offset:   0017b36f
OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID:   1033
Additional Information 1:   0a9e
Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e 789
Additional Information 3:   0a9e
Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e 789

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:   2469952708

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,308178.0.html

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:22:33 PM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:24:17 PM »
Throwin this out there as I had another random crash tonight as well. Seems there's no rhyme or reason to mine but I have had a couple this week. Checking my event viewer I found several entries within a minute or so of my crash and nothing out of place for some time before those. The one that started the domino effect or so it would seem was a service called gupdate--aka google update. It updates google software automatically--which is what it obviously tried to do while I was flying. I'm guessing that would be Google Earth? That's the only "google" software I have on my PC that I can think of. Anyway, that kicked off mcafee and after about a half dozen mcafee events within a few seconds of each other it showed the game crash. I have McAfee shut off at the console and also in process explorer down to one service that won't allow me to shut it off called mfevtps.exe. I'm not thinking that was the problem as I've run that for years. It was probably just doin it's job tryin to save me from the evil google monster.

I haven't gone through my services (in XP Pro 32 bit) in a while but have used BlackViper's guide to disable or otherwise apply settings to all the services I have running on my machine and I recommend that to everyone. No sense having a jillion things running on your PC that you don't need. I didn't notice this one in process explorer and it isn't listed as a startup either so I guess it just pops up on it's own and doesn't show as running anywhere but when I looked in services it was set to automatic--which it no longer is. I'll generally go into process explorer before I start the game to snuff out anything else running I don't need and this guy is never there. Well it won't be now.

Another clue.

BTW, what happens to me when my crashes occur is the game video goes to about a 2/3s screen that's black and occupies the top left area of my monitor. The rest of my normal desktop is showing around the rest but my mouse is disabled. Usually, whatever sound might have been playing at the time is looping. A ctrl+alt+del will usually bring up the task manager and I'm able to kill AH and go on my way. Sometimes it doesn't and I need to reboot. I monitor with Everest on my G-15. Load and temp aren't a problem when this happens. System specs are in my sig.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:26:28 PM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 05:34:23 AM »
Heya Drano,

hate it that ya'll are having "game crash" issues........ but I did find the below link regarding that "gupdate - aka google update"  you posted about.... here is one link/article about it below:

http://www.227volts.com/?p=1492

you should also read these other 2 webpages/links regarding the "gupdate"  &  "gusvc"   google updater files

http://www.internetbestsecrets.com/2008/04/google-updater-service.html

http://www.herongyang.com/Windows/Service-Life-Cycle-Google-Updater.html

Now, anything that Google offers for download  ( ex... Chrome, Google Tool Bar, Google Talk plug-in, Google Earth, etc... ), will most likely automatically install either gupdate or gusvc and possibly both of these services........ and most of the time Google will not tell you or let you know that these are being installed and are set to run automatically at PC startup ....... just a FYI

their has been reports of some malware that has been to over write the gupdate &/or gusvc registry entries as well as change their default imagepaths.......  ( note there is numerous web articles regarding these (2) google update services and people having issues with them, even people who swear they never installed any google provided software...... currently, I have been unable to find where gmail accounts are affected or have any part to do with these (2) services )

now in reference to that other service you found: "mfevtps.exe"

this has to do with your McAfee antivirus software.....  I personally do not know much about McAfee, except that I personally do not like it  YMMV......

hope this helps

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 06:16:30 AM »
I had knowingly installed Google Earth a few months ago. I had a need for it at the time but like you said they didn't say anything about other "services" being installed on my system. I thought it was just a browser plug-in like any other one. I run Firefox as my general browser and don't have a gmail account. So I found out what you were just tellin me about the hard way but at least I did find it. Hopefully, it'll straighten out the crashes.

As to the McAfee service I've known about that one for a long while. Apparently it's un-disableable. There are several other parts of McAfee that can be shut down but that one doesn't. I don't think this was my problem in a direct sense. It looks like when the google thing fired off it tripped it into acting and I'm actually kinda glad it did. If anything at least now I know where to look and what to look for if it happens again.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 01:04:28 PM »
I don't have anything google publishes on my machine; earth or otherwise.

Again, it is only a couple maps that give me the problem. Mindnao is the worst offender historically.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:27:51 PM »
Mindnao map is still causing CTDs.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"