Author Topic: New air combat movie  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: New air combat movie
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2011, 03:53:05 PM »
Ya know perv.. Pearl Harbor, as bad as it was, woke up a long suppressed interest in WWII aviation in me and I stumbled into AH soon after that.  So, regardless of if Red Tails turns out to be good or bad, if it brings people to the game and some of them stick and start learning not only how to play but the real history that's not a bad thing is it?

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
Poor Dick Bong. Poor, poor Dick Bong.  Hollywood has forgotten ya.

If Bong and McGuire were in the ETO, Hollywood would have built statues on Hollywood Blvd for them.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2011, 04:25:12 PM »
Best WWII aviation movie is actually a mini-series called "piece of cake":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R7pDoBSrKg&feature=related

This is a forgotten gem.

I didn't really enjoy the mini-series, maybe it was because I had read the book prior and the mini-series took too many liberties, like chucking the Hurricanes in favor of the Spitfire.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2011, 05:31:46 PM »
I didn't really enjoy the mini-series, maybe it was because I had read the book prior and the mini-series took too many liberties, like chucking the Hurricanes in favor of the Spitfire.

ack-ack

Agreed.  Didn't do much for me.  Seems like they ought to take another crack at it now that there are more flyable Hurri's.  There was a lot of debate about whether or not Derek Robinson essentially just novelized Paul Richey's WW2 book "Fighter Pilot" that covered 1 Squadron and their Hurricanes in France.  Having read both, I can see where folks might think that.  Either way it would be a good one for a remake.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters