Author Topic: A Comeback  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
A Comeback
« on: July 17, 2011, 05:46:01 PM »
I am hoping to come back to AH this year. I am going to start officiating high school sports in August and I will have money to play with. I am not really that knowledgeable when it comes to advanced computer stuff, so I have no clue where to get started here. I am thinking that I have 3 options. Option 1 would be to buy a new video card and new PSU for my 2008 Vista Computer. Option 2 would be to buy a new low-end Windows 7 Computer and upgrade it. Option 3 would be to get a high-end Windows 7 computer with a good video card and PSU already installed. Not sure which direction to go in. Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks,
Pannono
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:47:44 PM by Pannono »
Pannono
Proud Member of Pigs On The Wing
8 Player H2H: 2006-07
MA Tours: 87, 97-113, 143-144, 160-Present
FSO: JG54

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
Re: A Comeback
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:14:42 PM »
<S> Pannono

If you have the money, Option 3 would be the clear choice :aok

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:23:49 PM »
Any idea how much a good computer would go for?
Pannono

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »
I am hoping to come back to AH this year. I am going to start officiating high school sports in August and I will have money to play with. I am not really that knowledgeable when it comes to advanced computer stuff, so I have no clue where to get started here. I am thinking that I have 3 options. Option 1 would be to buy a new video card and new PSU for my 2008 Vista Computer. Option 2 would be to buy a new low-end Windows 7 Computer and upgrade it. Option 3 would be to get a high-end Windows 7 computer with a good video card and PSU already installed. Not sure which direction to go in. Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks,
Pannono

best advise is dont waste money on a low end puter.  about 1k will buy you a kick prettythang puter that you will be happy with.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »
The thing is I will be starting college soon and I don't think I can afford to spend $1000 on a computer. I was hoping to just get a $300 Windows 7 computer and put another $300 into it. But I wouldn't have the slightest clue where to start in my search for GPU/PSU.
Pannono

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 07:16:26 PM »
The thing is I will be starting college soon and I don't think I can afford to spend $1000 on a computer. I was hoping to just get a $300 Windows 7 computer and put another $300 into it. But I wouldn't have the slightest clue where to start in my search for GPU/PSU.

If you're willing to spend 300$ on a computer then throw 300$ more into it, why not build one for 600$?  It would be a better bang-for-buck typically since you'd have to replace a bit to make that 300$ computer "good".  Heck a 300$ computer likely would need everything replaced to play AH even halfway decently, if you could find one for 300$.  Have to remember a computer is only as good as its slowest component.

Subtract 100$ for Windows 7 (legally) and you have 500$ left for a computer home-built.  Not breaking any records with it, but it could run AH.  Wouldn't be too hard to find the parts for a 500$ computer that would run fine.  I could likely help with a cheap list but I'd need time to look around Newegg, not sure on prices anymore.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 07:29:27 PM »
Build a computer? Haha that would be nearly impossible for me, I am completely clueless about the internal workings of a computer.
Pannono

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 07:49:52 PM »
Really it's not as hard as it sounds, knowing the Motherboard the big battle, from there it's just plugging the right parts into it and attaching parts to the case itself (full walk-through could be typed up or found via Google).  If you are willing to try it, it makes having the best bang-for-buck computer possible since you don't have to pay others to build it.  I spent a few hours drawing diagrams of the inside of my old computer before taking it apart and re-building. I'll trim it down to the important parts for the Motherboard:

A. PCI Slot - This board has 2 PCI slots. These can be used for components such as Ethernet cards, sound cards, and modems.

B. PCI-E 16x Slot - There are 2 of them on this motherboard diagram, both are blue. These are used for your graphics card. With two of them onboard, you can run 2 graphics cards in SLI. You would only need this if you are a gamer, or working with high end video / graphics editing. These are the 16x speed versions, which are currently the fastest.

C. PCI-E 1x Slot - Single slot - These can be used for expansion cards such as Sound Cards, or Ethernet Cards.

E. ATX 12V 2X and 4 Pin Power Connection Power Connection - This is one of two power connections that supply power to the motherboard. This connection will come from your Power Supply.

F. CPU-Fan Connection - This is where your CPU fan will connect. Using this connection over one from your power supply will allow the motherboard to control the speed of your fan, based on the CPU temperature.

G. Socket - This is where your CPU will plug in.

H. Memory Slots - These are the slots for your RAM. Most boards will have 4 slots, but some will only have 2. The color coding you see on the motherboard diagram is used to match up RAM for Dual/Triple-Channel. Using them this way will give your memory a speed boost.

I. ATX Power Connector - This is the second of two power connections. This is the main power connection for the motherboard, and comes from the Power Supply.

L. SATA Connections - These are 4 of the 6 SATA connections on the motherboard. These will be used for hard drives, and CD / DVD drives.

M. Front Panel Connections - this is where you will hook in the connections from your case. These are mostly the different lights on your case, such as power on, hard drive activity etc.

O. External USB Connections - This is where you will plug in external USB connections for your case or USB bracket.

P. CMOS battery - This is the motherboard's battery. This is used to allow the CMOS to keep its settings.
Source: http://www.build-your-own-computer.net/motherboard-diagram.html

But if you are set on not building, I'm sure someone can help find a cheap computer to fix up easily enough. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 09:10:20 PM »
Option 4

Contact TilDeath.  He builds some wicked stuff.  One of which I'm the very happy and proud owner of. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 10:42:25 PM »
What kind of specs should I be looking for in a computer? Like processor speed, RAM, GPU, that type of stuff. I was thinking of getting a new computer for college and I might just get a customizable one from HP. I do not need super-HD graphics with 100FPS, im just looking for something that will give me 40+ FPS and decent graphics that run smoothly with little slowdown.
Pannono

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 01:24:38 AM »
What kind of specs should I be looking for in a computer? Like processor speed, RAM, GPU, that type of stuff. I was thinking of getting a new computer for college and I might just get a customizable one from HP. I do not need super-HD graphics with 100FPS, im just looking for something that will give me 40+ FPS and decent graphics that run smoothly with little slowdown.

With your budget your going to have to go for "inexpensive quality".  That means that you're going to have to shop for bang for the buck at the lowest possible price.  I'd expect if you're willing to build it you'll get a case, motherboard, 2.5 Ghz CPU, 2 Gb of RAM, a decent but not remarkable GPU in the range of $100-200, on-board sound, PSU (likely the most expensive component), single 7200 RPM HD and a single optical drive.

You'll likely be one step behind the technology curve to stay within budget which means dual core processor (not a bad thing).

The resulting machine will likely play the game with all the eye candy turned up except for shadows however it may struggle at times in large engagements or with lots of smoke or fire around.  By struggle I mean lowering performance to your desired 40 fps.

Estimated cost:  $700... maybe less.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:29:47 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 02:13:20 AM »
Right now I am looking at a custom PC on HP.com that has the following specs:

Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) dual-core processor G840 [2.8GHz, 3MB cache]
Memory: FREE UPGRADE to 4GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [1 DIMM] from 3GB
Hard drive: 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive 
Graphics card: 1GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT520 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
Sound Card: Integrated sound

Price is $529.99.
Worth the money?
Pannono

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 03:27:57 AM »
And I am also in the market for a new joystick. Last I heard the X52 was the way to go. Have things changed or is the X52 still the top of the line?
Pannono

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 07:51:46 PM »
Can anyone help me out on this? Should I be looking for a faster processor, better video card, etc?
Pannono

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 10:16:42 PM »
The Intel CPU would be fastenough. The CPU does not have some of the features the more expensive Sandy Bridge CPU's have like hyperthreading.
The Nvidia 520 is a low end card, I think  a Nvidia 460 would be more of what you would be looking for. Either the 1 gig model or the lower end 796 model.

Running a higher end card will have a need for more power from the PSU, I am guessing even if its offered from HP the price tag would go up another 100 anyway.

The RAM looks good and the harddrive would be good enough unless you plan on excess amount of movies or video editing.

I have no comment on the price. I have built my own computers and have no idea what a purchased unit would cost these days.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty