Author Topic: Different idea for FSO?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline noTch

• Silver Member
      • JV44 Butcher Birds
Different idea for FSO?
« on: July 23, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »
When was the last time we had a FSO Furball?  No Bombers, just a big ol' monster, planes everywhere, who's yer daddy furball designed to claim air superiority for 3 frames.

I imagine something along the lines of a massive front of fighters rushing at each other like the classic melee sword-wielding scenes in the movies like Braveheart or Narnia :devil
AHXARL Lead Campaign Manager/2012-?

My new favorite clip--->http://youtu.be/_2Nn4wAVNOg

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
Re: Different idea for FSO?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 03:56:30 PM »
Why not fly in the "King of the Hill" event if that is what you are looking for?

***G3-MF***

Offline shermanjr

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 04:19:27 PM »
ya but that aint for squads tho it would be cool to see whose squad is good at furballin
475th fg dgs
404th fighter group Winter SKy Deth ground
361 st fg
1st pursuit squadron avg
+flyingfury+ main arena
in game name pattonjr

Offline noTch

• Silver Member
      • JV44 Butcher Birds
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 04:44:44 PM »
While many will think it a King of the hill type suggestion, it really is a Boden Platte all or nothing type offensive/deffensive thing.  

A true war, no holds barred.  HO's, rams, vulchin, ACM, wingman, Luftberrie, Wagonwheel, conga line, kill stealing, cherry pickin, alt monkey, free-for-all.

If your plane is messed up or bingo fuel or winchester, you land at your home field, get a safe landing and up another cartoon smashin machine :banana:

Last side standing after 2 out of 3 is the

VICTOR
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:46:26 PM by noTch »

Offline noTch

• Silver Member
      • JV44 Butcher Birds
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 04:51:53 PM »
Why not fly in the "King of the Hill" event if that is what you are looking for?
I have and that is a blast :aok   But what I am suggesting really happened.  Germany did launch an all out offensive where every fighter aircraft was scrambled with the objective to smash all Allied planes in one decisive blow in one day. I believe it was called Boden Platte or Platten or something like that :x

Offline climber

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:36:06 PM »
sounds like a snapshot event to me...
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »
It was a snapshot event.

shanus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline noTch

• Silver Member
      • JV44 Butcher Birds
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 09:24:16 PM »
sounds like a snapshot event to me...

It was and is, but with a tiny amount of people compared to the grand scale an FSO could provide :O

Offline snakeplissken

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 09:46:15 PM »
Look at the Fighter kills in the logs. . .  Trust me... Every FSO is a furball.  As proof.. Who were the B-17's that gunned the field at 145 last night????? Don't make me find out your name...  :airplane:  It was Cool  :aok
The Unforgiven motto: Quid posset ire iniuriam

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 10:24:47 PM »
I have done a couple over the years that the majority of the missions were 'Fighter Sweeps' or 'CAPs'. Very few bombers were used. It seemed to work well, but it has been several years.

I recall one area of four sectors took quite a while for the fight to start. Each side started their fighter sweep in opposite clock positions. One at 12 and the other was 6. Then both started to move clockwise and did not find each other for 45+ minutes.  :eek: After that I put in the objectives that the Allies were to conduct their fighter sweeps clockwise, and the Axis were to sweep their respective 'area' counter clockwise. Solved that problem.  :cool:
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 08:30:07 AM »
My 2 cents.

The only way for this to work and to be fair.  Each side has only one fighter to fly.  Plus, both fighters have to be comparable then it's a matter of which side uses the best tactics and winging.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline noTch

• Silver Member
      • JV44 Butcher Birds
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 08:57:02 AM »
I have done a couple over the years that the majority of the missions were 'Fighter Sweeps' or 'CAPs'. Very few bombers were used. It seemed to work well, but it has been several years.

Maybe the suggestion should have been to dust off a Furball FSO and give it another go.  I have been flyin in FSO for a few years myself and it does seem like it has been a long time :cheers:

My 2 cents.

The only way for this to work and to be fair.  Each side has only one fighter to fly.
Not necessarily, in the Legend of Y-29, it was Bf109's, Fw190s, P-51's, P-47's.

then it's a matter of which side uses the best tactics and winging.
You are correct sir :rock :rock :rock :rock
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:08:58 AM by noTch »

Offline STXAce8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 11:57:07 AM »
Legend of Y-29 would be fun.................
Maybe the suggestion should have been to dust off a Furball FSO and give it another go.  I have been flyin in FSO for a few years myself and it does seem like it has been a long time :cheers:
Not necessarily, in the Legend of Y-29, it was Bf109's, Fw190s, P-51's, P-47's.

You are correct sir :rock :rock :rock :rock

ZLA- Don't Focke Wulf Us!
Ingame: Batz
Kommando Nowotny
Its over the top as Fack

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 12:22:19 PM »
I'd love to see the Battle of the Bulge as a scenario or FSO, Y-29 would be part of that. Of course to have Operation Bodenplatte run historicly accurate, the axis would need a head start and suprise. Say a T -30 launch for axis, which won't happen.
But imagine the horror from the allies when they see the Luftwaffe bearing down on them just as they hit the runway to takeoff.  :devil
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 04:16:11 PM »
I'd love to see the Battle of the Bulge as a scenario or FSO, Y-29 would be part of that. Of course to have Operation Bodenplatte run historicly accurate, the axis would need a head start and suprise. Say a T -30 launch for axis, which won't happen.
Actually these kinds of FSO's are not out of the question. Pearl has been discussed over the years. Assuming we had the terrain, one option would be to give the IJN a good head start and allow the U.S. to roll once the first shots were fired. Then in Frame 2 allow the U.S. To be more alert, sort of a what if option. Then we would run a Frame 3 and 4, but everyone would switch sides so all could experience flying for IJN and U.S. There are several ways to run a Pearl FSO so it would be fun for everyone. Bodenplatte and other such historical events could be managed much the same way. I am not keen on a 4 frame FSO, but once and a while is doable. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure