Author Topic: P-40E flap display error - related to damage bug?  (Read 277 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
P-40E flap display error - related to damage bug?
« on: July 24, 2011, 12:34:28 PM »
In this screenshot I have flaps completely extended, so one should NOT be able to see the starboard horizontal stabilizer through the flap.   I think this is referred to as a graphics 'sorting' error - what graphics items show infront of/behind others depending on your perspective.  I don't know if it has anything to do with the damage bug but it is coincidental at least.

Perhaps the model thinks the flap occupies the space behind the P-40's tail, and shots which fall short of the tail assembly wind up hitting the incorrectly located flap?   

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: P-40E flap display error - related to damage bug?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 12:45:25 PM »
Possably, but we're getting an updated p40E next update anyways.

go check out the front page, nice looking bird  :aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:16:55 PM »
It's purely a graphical bug. It's a sorting issue with the 3D render. The flaps simply render "behind" all the rest. It's been reported (and I noticed it a long while back too) but it was probably not worth revisiting until they redid the 3D graphics.

Now they are redoing the 3D graphics from scratch so those bugs won't be present once the new P-40 is released.

EDIT: P.S. It's also not unique. The D3A Val has/had a similar problem. I recall some sorting errors were fixed but not sure if it still does this or not.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:42:53 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

I just wanted to be sure the flap problem didn't creep into the updated P-40E and any new variants.    ;) :pray
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:44:32 PM by oboe »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 04:52:49 PM »
From the way I understand how the 3d and the damage model go together in most games, there should be no link really. It's just a trick image. Since we know it won't be that way on the newer 3D models, nothing to worry about.

Now, the flaps damage model carrying over to the new plane? That's another matter, if you want to worry about it feel free!  :D