Author Topic: An expanded skin catalog. Opportunity not to be wasted.  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: An expanded skin catalog. Opportunity not to be wasted.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
IMO it's pretty darned pixellated. Only thing you can really see is blurry teeth.

It would go on the G model.

If you don't know how to edit the materials file, the best easiest first step is to find a default skin similar to what you want, and copy that value over. Say there's a nice OD plane like (hint) the B-25C. So right click on the B-25, save default skin, go find that directory, and copy this materials.txt over to your P-38 skin's directory.

However you'll find certain areas of the P-38s are hard coded, like the anti-glare. The materials file won't account for discoloration in these areas.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 03:59:34 PM »
IMO it's pretty darned pixellated. Only thing you can really see is blurry teeth.

It would go on the G model.

If you don't know how to edit the materials file, the best easiest first step is to find a default skin similar to what you want, and copy that value over. Say there's a nice OD plane like (hint) the B-25C. So right click on the B-25, save default skin, go find that directory, and copy this materials.txt over to your P-38 skin's directory.

However you'll find certain areas of the P-38s are hard coded, like the anti-glare. The materials file won't account for discoloration in these areas.

thank ya...the very bottom is the worst of the stretching, but like I said that was 10 minutes....I may never get it perfect because of this, but I am certainly gonna attempt it.

thanx again for the info :aok

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 04:20:35 PM »
PS....looking at these pics in one I see the letters as "UNG" but also I see "GUN"........ :headscratch:  any clue as to what is the real deal?

American aircraft were labeled with squadron codes "UN" and plane codes "G".  On the left side it would be "UN" "G" and on the right side it would be "G" "UN" with the "UN" always being toward the front of the aircraft.  The British did not do this, so the right side was ususally (not always) the same as the left.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
Ink,

That looks much better than I imagined it was going to.  You must do it on th P-38G, however.   Since that is a different 3D model/skin, it may look slightly different.

For panel lines, here is some Knite sent me for the 38J/L, that I'm happy to share:   There are some differences with the G but I can find anything yet.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »
also, I have looked and only found a couple sites that have the panel lines but the images are not the best, does anyone know were I can get a good panel line source?

I live with the paranoid notion that all profiles and panel line drawings contain errors or omissions.

Of course that's not always the case, but it's scary how many are errant. So for panel lines I try to go off pictures of the actual airplanes as much as possible before relying on drawings - often easier said then done for some plane types. Oboe's post below is a good one though.

These websites are where I find most of my pictures. An old fashioned Google image search sometimes works wonders too.

http://www.primeportal.net/the_airstrip.htm
http://www.cybermodeler.com/resource1.shtml
http://aircraftresourcecenter.com/ Click Walkarounds at the top.

Photos of earlier P-38s with the smaller intakes are more difficult to find as there are fewer in existence than later J-L models. I have some uploaded here though.

Glacier Girl is an F as I recall and the one undergoing restoration is an H in Australia.
http://s547.photobucket.com/albums/hh473/cactuskooler/Early%20P-38s/

Side to side the errors are apparent. The turbo area is bad also. I think it's ok to reference the later model's panel lines for the turbos - A few good pics here http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/p-38j-20-lo_44-23314_skidoo/index.php?Page=3
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:10:11 PM by cactuskooler »
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 05:26:41 PM »
American aircraft were labeled with squadron codes "UN" and plane codes "G".  On the left side it would be "UN" "G" and on the right side it would be "G" "UN" with the "UN" always being toward the front of the aircraft.  The British did not do this, so the right side was ususally (not always) the same as the left.

thank ya,  :salute

I live with the paranoid notion that all profiles and panel line drawings contain errors or omissions.

Of course that's not always the case, but it's scary how many are errant. So for panel lines I try to go off pictures of the actual airplanes as much as possible before relying on drawings - often easier said then done for some plane types. Oboe's post below is a good one though.

These websites are where I find most of my pictures. An old fashioned Google image search sometimes works wonders too.

http://www.primeportal.net/the_airstrip.htm
http://www.cybermodeler.com/resource1.shtml
http://aircraftresourcecenter.com/ Click Walkarounds at the top.

Photos of earlier P-38s with the smaller intakes are more difficult to find as there are fewer in existence than later J-L models. I have some uploaded here though.

Glacier Girl is an F as I recall and the one undergoing restoration is an H in Australia.
http://s547.photobucket.com/albums/hh473/cactuskooler/Early%20P-38s/

(Image removed from quote.)

Side to side the errors are apparent. The turbo area is bad also. I think it's ok to reference the later model's panel lines for the turbos - A few good pics here http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/p-38j-20-lo_44-23314_skidoo/index.php?Page=3

I did the "google that chit" but found only bad or very small drawings :neener: (Im no dummy;-)

checking out that site...AWESOME :rock  TY

Ink,

That looks much better than I imagined it was going to.  You must do it on th P-38G, however.   Since that is a different 3D model/skin, it may look slightly different.

For panel lines, here is some Knite sent me for the 38J/L, that I'm happy to share:   There are some differences with the G but I can find anything yet.

I was thinking the same, looks way better then expected, and that was just a quickie, once I put some serious time into it, I have high hopes :pray.

thanx very much for the pics they will come in Handy, I will compare them to the G hopefully they will be perfectly good for what I need :salute

Offline PropHawk

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 06:35:40 PM »
ok did some test art, definitely doable  :aok

these shots are for TEST purposes ONLY  :old:

yes there is some stretching, but it is IMO not enough to stop me from doing this, or will it be an injustice to the real artwork.

couple questions

the original was a P38F...I used the L...which one should be used?

the lighting/shine/reflection on the 38 is way to bright for this to work,  I know the "material txt" is were the game sees the settings for these, but I have no clue as to what to set them at,or if we are even allowed to change these settings :headscratch:

the reflection is just "over the top"  anyone.....what settings should I use to get that reflection down say....90%..... :pray

ok for a quick freehand drawing(not that the original was all that difficult) I think I got it pretty good, this is seriously like 10 minutes just to test out if its even possible, I was not looking for perfection here.....

also, I have looked and only found a couple sites that have the panel lines but the images are not the best, does anyone know were I can get a good panel line source?

Thanx for any help :salute

PS....looking at these pics in one I see the letters as "UNG" but also I see "GUN"........ :headscratch:  any clue as to what is the real deal?
If I see that in a King Tiger Im hitting .es.
I love WWI planes but they dont like me at all. :(
-------------------------------
Appointed by the masses.
The people have spoken.
They just didn't say anything intellegent... - Von Messa

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »
Since this has become a P-38 thread :D I thought I would throw a couple of F models up here to add to the G model roster.

These few are colourful so take heed for those who don't like bright coloured birds. :neener:

Sadly I cant find any photos of this aircraft though. :(

We have this squadron in the J model don't see why not have one in the G section. :aok

Also a few bits of info on the squadron colours & a J model colour photo I found to cool not to post.

Since this aircraft has been discussed before may as well throw it into the mix.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 06:02:55 PM »
well I hate to say it but Krusty is right on the "bat out of hell" :cry

the G model has major stretching on the bottom, the lighting is a lot better then the L but the stretching is just too much.....and I don't see how to overcome that :headscratch:

looks good from the side

but the bottom.....not so good, tried it different ways, cant get past the stretching :bhead

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 09:38:19 PM »
It's not really I who am right. I was just relaying what many other P-38 skinners have shared with the forum. They did all the hard work and found it was really stretched on the nose.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »
Has the P38-G been updated?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »
Yes. Same time as the other P-38s.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
Yes. Same time as the other P-38s.
Before my time then.

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 12:21:12 AM »
 Two I'd like to see, 38 wise... Tangerine and Sand Man.
 Just sayin:)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 12:52:28 AM »
its too bad it does that, the "Bat out of hell" would make a great skin.

its not the 3d model itself its how the skin.."texture" is over laid on the 3d model.

it could probably be fixed, if they redid the UV mapping.