Author Topic: New Clues in the DB Cooper case  (Read 462 times)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
New Clues in the DB Cooper case
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:04:30 AM »
for those of you who are also old farts......and/or interested in great stories in aviation/highjacking.... this case has fascinated me since my childhood....and I've always wondered if it would ever be solved.  

FBI: 'Credible Lead' Surfaces In D.B. Cooper Case

FILE—A 1971 artist's sketch released by the FBI shows the skyjacker known as 'Dan Cooper' and 'D.B. Cooper', was made from the recollections of passengers and crew of a Northwest Orient Airlines jet he hijacked between Portland and Seattle, Nov. 24, 1971, Thanksgiving eve. FBI spokeswoman Ayn Sandalo Dietrich tells The Seattle Times that a law enforcement member directed investigators to a person who might have helpful information on Cooper

The FBI says it has a "credible" lead in the D.B. Cooper case involving the 1971 hijacking of a passenger jet over Washington state and the suspect's legendary parachute escape.

The fate and identity of the hijacker dubbed "D.B. Cooper" has remained a mystery in the 40 years since a man jumped from a Northwest Orient Airlines 727 flight with $200,000 in ransom.

The recent tip provided to the FBI came from a law enforcement member who directed investigators to a person who might have helpful information on the suspect, FBI spokeswoman Ayn Sandalo Dietrich told The Seattle Times on Sunday. She called the new information the "most promising lead we have right now," but cautioned that investigators were not on the verge of breaking the case.

"With any lead our first step is to assess how credible it is," Sandalo Dietrich told the Seattle Post Intelligencer on Saturday. "Having this come through another law enforcement (agency), having looked it over when we got it - it seems pretty interesting."

Dietrich says an item belonging to the man was sent to a lab in Quantico, Va., for forensic testing. She did not provide specifics about the item or the man's identity.

Federal investigators have checked more than 1,000 leads since the suspect bailed out on Nov. 24, 1971, over the Pacific Northwest. The man who jumped gave his name as Dan Cooper and claimed shortly after takeoff in Portland, Ore., that he had a bomb, leading the flight crew to land the plane in Seattle, where passengers were exchanged for parachutes and ransom money.

The flight then took off for Mexico with the suspect and flight crew on board before the man parachuted from the plane.

The FBI's recent tip in the case was first reported by The Telegraph newspaper in London

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Re: New Clues in the DB Cooper case
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
My best guess is its Cooper himself doing the hints so he gets caught. He's probably in very old age and in bad health and wants that final glory of recognition before kicking the bucket.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »
My best guess is its Cooper himself doing the hints so he gets caught. He's probably in very old age and in bad health and wants that final glory of recognition before kicking the bucket.

Or free prison system health care!

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 02:59:23 PM »
He goes by the name Kyle Busch these days?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:10:29 PM by icepac »

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
Kinda like Billy the Kid?  Waiting until the grim reaper is near and then stepping forward.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
I wonder if it's this guy, Kenny Christiansen.  He fits the profile, had the motive, means and the circumstantial evidence is compelling.

Is Kenny Christiansen D.B. Cooper?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:07:07 AM »
There was a Numbers episode awhile back that loosely had the story in the plot.

Interesting

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 08:54:25 AM »
Well if he survived the jump and was able to keep the money then more power to the man for sticking it to someone...hehehehe!

I have always read that if the money was never recovered before Mt St. Helens blew then it would never be recovered since the area that he was believed to have landed in was part of the area covered with ash and stuff after the blow.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 10:38:01 AM »
The news stated today that the new suspect is a dead man.

I'd like to pose this question though...
Is D.B. Cooper a folk hero to you?

I can go either way as I respect those who take on the establishment without losing.  But I don't like the way that the F.A.A. used him as the primary reason to not allow skydivers to jump out of jets.

ps.
Some rich guy was eventually able to lobby the F.A.A. into allowing skydivers to jump from jets.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dwYmWhFBL4
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.