Author Topic: Custom Arena Setup: Does this really work for anybody?  (Read 496 times)

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
Custom Arena Setup: Does this really work for anybody?
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:33:02 PM »
Greetings!

I've tried and Tried and TRIED, but I can't get my custom arena to preserve my preferred setup of fields and planes. It works OK and sensibly in offline mode, and generates corresponding .fld, .pln, and .var files in the "chconfig/coralsea" folder (I am using the coralsea terrain). If I copy those 3 files into the ahiiterr folder, I get the expected results offline.

When I activate my custom arena, I fill out the obligatory configuration form window with all of the obvious variables, referencing the same files that work offline. I've tried using the standard filenames (coralsea.fld, coralsea.pln, and coralsea.var) with corresponding references. No go. I've tried renaming those files to avoid conflict with the standard names (cs110812.fld, cs110812.pln, and cs110812.var). No go. I've tried storing an extra copy of those files in my ahiiterr file, using both naming conventions. No go. No go. I've tried deleting the files with standard names from the chconfig/coralsea folder. No go.

I've gone over and over this again and again and I can't see any sensible way forward. Nothing seems to work: the field and plane assignments just won't match the configuration I've designated. I've tried changing them online, and the changes DO take effect exactly as I expect, but I can't figure out any way to preserve those changes for future use when I re-spawn the same arena.

It takes me half an hour or so to get the fields and planes and flight model setup to the greatest possible historic accuracy (which is what I want in my arena), and it's just too darn frustrating to be worthwhile if I have to do it over again every time I spawn my custom arena.

The only thing that DOES work as I expect is the motd. That follows my reference to the proper file and displays the exact message I have configured in advance (but I only see it after I exit and RE-enter my custom arena).

So here's my question: Is ANYBODY having success changing and retaining a sophisticated arena setup involving field ownership and planeset restrictions? If so, precisely how do you do it?

Thanks!  :salute
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:37:17 PM by bbosen »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Custom Arena Setup: Does this really work for anybody?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:10:12 PM »
If you go to the arena tables section, you should see entries in the list for each configuration saved for that terrain; click on the one you want and "upload to host". It should apply each plane number to each field in the terrain to match how you had them set up.

If you saved your custom tables, you should see them in the chconfig\[terrain name] folder. If they're there but you don't have the option to select them when you spawn up an arena, go back and check that folder for default tables for that arena - they probably have the same datestamp as your custom tables. Just delete the default tables and you should see your table listed to load.

Try deleting the default tables (they'd have the same name as the terrain) from the chconfig\[terrain name] folder and see if you can load the terrain - perhaps they got corrupted somehow.

For example, I created custom settings on the ndisles terrain but my tables weren't listed to load. There were "ndisles.###" files with the same datestamp as my "dotisles.###" files. When I deleted the ndisles.### files, all was good and I could load my custom tables just fine.

It could also be a bug with certain terrains.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
Re: Custom Arena Setup: Does this really work for anybody?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »
If you go to the arena tables section, you should see entries in the list for each configuration saved for that terrain; click on the one you want and "upload to host". It should apply each plane number to each field in the terrain to match how you had them set up.

If you saved your custom tables, you should see them in the chconfig\[terrain name] folder. If they're there but you don't have the option to select them when you spawn up an arena, go back and check that folder for default tables for that arena - they probably have the same datestamp as your custom tables. Just delete the default tables and you should see your table listed to load.

Try deleting the default tables (they'd have the same name as the terrain) from the chconfig\[terrain name] folder and see if you can load the terrain - perhaps they got corrupted somehow.

For example, I created custom settings on the ndisles terrain but my tables weren't listed to load. There were "ndisles.###" files with the same datestamp as my "dotisles.###" files. When I deleted the ndisles.### files, all was good and I could load my custom tables just fine.

It could also be a bug with certain terrains.

Thanks for trying to help. You wrote: "If you go to the arena tables section, you should see entries in the list for each configuration saved for that terrain; click on the one you want and "upload to host". It should apply each plane number to each field in the terrain to match how you had them set up."

I assume you mean for me to attempt this from within my online custom arena immediately after its creation?

I tried that, but it doesn't look the way you describe. Here's a picture of my clipboard as I see it at that point:

I think this puts me into the situation you describe with "If you saved your custom tables, you should see them in the chconfig\[terrain name] folder. If they're there but you don't have the option to select them when you spawn up an arena, go back and check that folder for default tables for that arena - they probably have the same datestamp as your custom tables. Just delete the default tables and you should see your table listed to load. Try deleting the default tables (they'd have the same name as the terrain) from the chconfig\[terrain name] folder and see if you can load the terrain - perhaps they got corrupted somehow."

I tried that. I found the default tables alongside my custom tables as you described. I deleted those default tables as you describe, but I still don't see my tables for loading. The clipboard remains as shown above.

I think it's a bug....

Thanks anyway!
 :salute

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:38:00 AM by bbosen »