Author Topic: Spixteen perked ?  (Read 23225 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Spixteen perked ?
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 06:48:29 PM »
While I don't think the spixteen should be perked since in the hands of a noob it gives them a decent chance at survival, I do believe that it, along with other 'state of the art' aircraft should be tied to large airfields that could support the upkeep and maintenance of such planes.  A list of aircraft I believe should be large field only are:

B-29
AR234
ME262
Spitfire XIV and XVI
Tempest
Ta152
(ME163 excluded for obvious reasons)

These aircraft in my opinion were seen less in conflict, and had smaller theatres of operation due to the fact that they were new, required a lot of logistical support, and in instances of the B-29, 234 and 262 simply couldn't take off from many air fields.  There are a ton of things this could help effect in game play from the realism side of fuel consumption and throttle control to the tactical side of making certain fields worth more and actually worth attacking or defending.

Flame on...
You're off your rocker in regards to the Spitfires and Tempest.  All of those were operated from forward airfields in Europe as the Allies advanced.

Do you know where else your "state of the art", hard to maintain Spitfire Mk XIV operated in WWII? India and Burma, which you might be aware were not airplane friendly parts of the world.

Kinda explains the flight modeling of the Ponies as of late.

:noid
No flight modeling changes to the P-51D that I know of.
Spitfire seems to have a reputation for being flown by pilots capable of handling more advanced-level planes, yet that choose to fly the spitfire because it means they don't really have to do any managment of their aircraft.
You know, the Spitfire is a rather liked airplane for historical reasons.  People choosing to fly aircraft for historical reasons is not limited to American and German aircraft.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 06:55:03 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2011, 07:05:10 PM »
theyre perked now  :O
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2011, 07:08:33 PM »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »
You're off your rocker in regards to the Spitfires and Tempest.  All of those were operated from forward airfields in Europe as the Allies advanced.

Do you know where else your "state of the art", hard to maintain Spitfire Mk XIV operated in WWII? India and Burma, which you might be aware were not airplane friendly parts of the world.
No flight modeling changes to the P-51D that I know of.You know, the Spitfire is a rather liked airplane for historical reasons.  People choosing to fly aircraft for historical reasons is not limited to American and German aircraft.

I agree with you Karnak on most of your points but I'd like to point out that the 'real' spit 16 saw very little combat. What we have in game is mis labeled. Its not a spit 16, its a very late war spit 9 variant (I believe its a IXe).
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 07:21:09 PM »
I agree with you Karnak on most of your points but I'd like to point out that the 'real' spit 16 saw very little combat. What we have in game is mis labeled. Its not a spit 16, its a very late war spit 9 variant (I believe its a IXe).

As has been pointed out over and over and over, the Spitfire Mk XVI, which is indistinguishable, other than a slightly different FTH height, from the Spitfire LF.Mk IXe, saw plenty of combat.  All the claims that it saw almost no combat are based on a misreading of the amount of combat seen by a single, specific Spitfire Mk XVI airframe.  Somehow, people keep reading that airframe's combat as the total amount of combat seen by all Spitfire Mk XVIs, which it most certainly was not.

Stop repeating that BS.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »
I think it more that they get tired of chasing the runners, so they switch to a plane that can go faster.     :bolt:

Fred

The problem with the chasing runners with the P-51D is that once you catch them, you'll have to fight them... The Mustang is great near its corner velocity, but get much below that and it will have trouble with most of the plane-set. If you spot a P-51 chasing you, before the range drops much below 2k, reverse into it and in most cases, the P-51 will be doing the running in short order..  There are exceptions, where a skilled pilot is flying the P-51, but they're few and far between.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:26:31 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »
As has been pointed out over and over and over, the Spitfire Mk XVI, which is indistinguishable, other than a slightly different FTH height, from the Spitfire LF.Mk IXe, saw plenty of combat.  All the claims that it saw almost no combat are based on a misreading of the amount of combat seen by a single, specific Spitfire Mk XVI airframe.  Somehow, people keep reading that airframe's combat as the total amount of combat seen by all Spitfire Mk XVIs, which it most certainly was not.

Stop repeating that BS.

didn't the airframe marked as a spit 16 have an engine that went to a higher boost?
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »
The problem with the chasing runners with the P-51D is that once you catch them, you'll have to fight them... The Mustang is great near its corner velocity, but get much below that and it will have trouble with most of the plane-set. If you spot a P-51 chasing you, before the range drops much below 2k, reverse into it and in most cases, the P-51 will be doing the running in short order..  There are exceptions, where a skilled pilot is flying the P-51, but they're few and far between.

Werd.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2011, 07:31:33 PM »
didn't the airframe marked as a spit 16 have an engine that went to a higher boost?

No.  It has a Merlin 266, which is the Packard built version of the Merlin 66 that the Spitfire LF.Mk IX and LF.Mk VIII (what we have in AH's Mk VIII) had.  It is identical except for being tooled to American measurements, the specific cause of it being labeled a Mk XVI instead of a Mk IX, and having a FTH height 1000ft above the Merlin 66's.  Boost settings were exactly the same.

EDIT:

You may  be thinking of the +25lbs boost setting. That was the boost setting for both the LF.Mk IX and the Mk XVI when running on 150 octane.  In AH we have 100 octane and both would have run at +18lbs boost on that fuel.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:33:56 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »
You may  be thinking of the +25lbs boost setting. That was the boost setting for both the LF.Mk IX and the Mk XVI when running on 150 octane.  In AH we have 100 octane and both would have run at +18lbs boost on that fuel.

yes :aok  thanks for clarifying that.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
At +25lbs boost the Spitfire LF.Mk IX or Mk XVI would definitely be a perk plane in AH.  ~360mph on the deck and an initial climb rate of ~5,700fpm.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 07:44:42 PM »
At +25lbs boost the Spitfire LF.Mk IX or Mk XVI would definitely be a perk plane in AH.  ~360mph on the deck and an initial climb rate of ~5,700fpm.

I believe there was a 109k with higher boost that used a higher octane fuel too, a matching candidate for perking.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 07:47:07 PM »
Other Allied fighters that used 150 octane fuel with similar boosts:

Mosquito FB.Mk VI
P-47M
P-51D
Spitfire Mk XIV
Tempest Mk V
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 10:53:37 PM »
All I have to say is that if the allies get 150 octane fuel, the Germans should get the methanol boost.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »
Your focus on "dweeb" is where you split away from what I was talking about.

I'm not making qualifications like "dweeb" or "elite" -- they have totally subjective connotations.

I'm talking skill and capability, "relatively objective" things (far more objective than "dweeb" and its loaded meaning) that would play a big hand in the outcome of a fight.

The pilot of an I-16 can determine the outcome of a fight, but sometimes the nimbleness of his ride determines what the pilot can and cannot do. Fly a Fw190 like an I-16, and no matter how good a pilot you are you won't turn any tighter than the plane's wing shape and weight will allow. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

This.

EZ Planes:

Spits, N1Ks, P51Ds, Typhoons, HurriC, Zero

Non-EZ Planes (Yet still LW competitive):

P38s, 109s, 190s (Fighting in them), C205, Mosquito, Yaks

I figured I'd make the official list so there is no confusion.   :neener: @ Ez Moders
Make no mistake, just because you fly an easy plane does not make you any less skilled.  Inversely, flying a Non-EZ plane does not make you any more skilled (Ahem, FlyinFin).