Author Topic: Spixteen perked ?  (Read 23539 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Spixteen perked ?
« Reply #270 on: August 11, 2011, 03:12:24 PM »

Also, the Mossie seems to have been left out of that chart, Grizz.  I am not sure if it is easy mode for the nose mounted Hispanos and speed or hard mode for its relative lack of maneuverability.

Oops! The Mossie belongs in the B&Z category and while it does have ez mode hispanos, its other significant drawbacks prevent it from being EZ mode.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 11, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »
I have one but it would be a lot of work. The problem is looking at plane stats as a whole. If you want to factor out pilot quality all you have to do is look at the stats of the planes per pilot

so if Dweebnoober1 has K/D of .46, he has a distribution of the planes he flies. The relative position of planes in that distribution gives a clue as to which planes are easy and which are difficult for that pilot. Example: of his .46 K/D the SpitXVI is his best plane at .57 and the P-39 is his worst plane at .03.  Relative to this guy the SPitXVI ranks Number 1, and is x standards deviations above his average. Do the same for every player, and you can examine which planes rank above a players average and by how much, and how often. The population density distribution of those pilot-relative rankings will identify the planes that are easymode.

As interesting as this project sounds, I doubt it would get us any closer to an objective answer on "Which planes are EZ mode?" ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #272 on: August 11, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »
I got lazy with the A6m's because who honestly gives a hoot about zeros.  I should have split up the Zero's and the early war one goes in Turny bird, but the A6m2b and the A6m3 are both easy mode.  Please refer to FM2 discussion for my reasoning.  And the fact that the zero is the sharpest turner in the game aside from the Hurri1, it definitely allows it to fall into the category of EZ mode.  Speed is irrelevant when you are picking furballs and only beating people in turn fights that are stupid enough to fight you.
Doesn't matter when all somebody has to do to beat you is not turn with you and when what would be a glancing hit to any other fighter turns you into a comet.

In my experience, what makes a plane easy is not the turning, it is the E generation.  The better the E generation the easier it is.  There are exceptions, but that is the single most important factor.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #273 on: August 11, 2011, 03:21:23 PM »
so if Dweebnoober1 has K/D of .46, he has a distribution of the planes he flies. The relative position of planes in that distribution gives a clue as to which planes are easy and which are difficult for that pilot. Example: of his .46 K/D the SpitXVI is his best plane at .57 and the P-39 is his worst plane at .03.  Relative to this guy the SPitXVI ranks Number 1, and is x standards deviations above his average. Do the same for every player, and you can examine which planes rank above a players average and by how much, and how often. The population density distribution of those pilot-relative rankings will identify the planes that are easymode.

I tried to do some basic stuff with the number of kills in each ride (because I too am too lazy to do what you suggested), but as others pointed out, it to would fail to account for the situations that a person chose to fly the ride.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #274 on: August 11, 2011, 03:25:10 PM »
Doesn't matter when all somebody has to do to beat you is not turn with you and when what would be a glancing hit to any other fighter turns you into a comet.

In my experience, what makes a plane easy is not the turning, it is the E generation.  The better the E generation the easier it is.  There are exceptions, but that is the single most important factor.

Lets be careful not to embellish too much to prove a point.  While the A6m is definitely one of the weak birds in the game, it still requires a solid hit to set aflame.  I see where you are coming from and perhaps the zekes are borderline "Turnybird" and "EZ MODE" as the Spit8 is borderline "Hybrid" and "Turny Bird".  I appreciate the critique.  My revamped list will split the zero's up, and I will also add the Mossy.  You and Leviathn alike, I thank you for your input into this most worthy project.

Any other glaringly absurd problems with my list or are you just a zeke fan?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 11, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
I know that 'bunnies' in a spit 16 will kill 'bunnies' in a k4,

I can honestly say a Snailman in a Spit 16 would rarely kill a Snailman in a K4 in the MA. Not because the Snail is more used to the K4, but simply because he would use the terrific speed advantage of the K4 to get away at an early point. Only when you put young Lusche in his n00b days in both planes, the Spit 16 would mostly beat the K4 because the K4-Lusche would have either missed the best moment to disengage or simply would have lawn darted his plane.
But once both players are not only of the same skill level, but actually experienced sticks (and not slavishly sticking to a silly "honor" code), the K4 would die less often.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #276 on: August 11, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »
Any other glaringly absurd problems with my list or are you just a zeke fan?
Personally, I'd put the Bf109K-4 in the borderline category as well.  It generates E like mad, but is held back by the 30mm's ballistics.

I agree the A6M3 can stick on somebody pretty well, but actually doing anything to them is harder due to the poor ballistics of the Type 99 Model 1 cannons.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #277 on: August 11, 2011, 03:30:15 PM »
I can honestly say a Snailman in a Spit 16 would rarely kill a Snailman in a K4 in the MA. Not because the Snail is more used to the K4, but simply because he would use the terrific speed advantage of the K4 to get away at an early point. Only when you put young Lusche in his n00b days in both planes, the Spit 16 would mostly beat the K4 because the K4-Lusche would have either missed the best moment to disengage or simply would have lawn darted his plane.
But once both players are not only of the same skill level, but actually experienced sticks (and not slavishly sticking to a silly "honor" code), the K4 would die less often.

I LOVE this guy!!!  (see the D9 vs 16 part of this thread)

"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #278 on: August 11, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »

I LOVE this guy!!!  (see the D9 vs 16 part of this thread)

Key point, they did not enter the fight co-e. All my comments I stated and repeated, if they are co-e.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 11, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
Key point, they did not enter the fight co-e. All my comments I stated and repeated, if they are co-e.

In the MA, planes are rarely CO-E. and I was thinking we are talking about the planes purely in the MA context and not about a constructed DA setting. And in the MA, the K-4 will more often be able to walk away from the 16 than the 16 from the K-4.

But by and large, my comment also holds true for a co-E setting, unless you deliberately chose to only look at a setup  that would favor the Spit 16 Snailman.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:40:20 PM by Lusche »

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #280 on: August 11, 2011, 03:38:14 PM »

Dood...no backpedaling.  Its common knowledge bunnies cannot walk backwards...even though it may be in their nature now shooosh already!  :x

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #281 on: August 11, 2011, 03:40:56 PM »
In the MA, planes are rarely CO-E. and I was thinking we are talking about the planes purely in the MA context and not about a constructed DA setting.

But by and large, my comment also holds true for a co-E setting, unless you deliberately chose to only look at a setup  that would favor the Spit 16 Snailman.

Co E, a K4 cannot out E a Spit16 very easily.  So I'm not exactly sure how a Spit16 snailman would manage to squander the fight.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 11, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »
Co E, a K4 cannot out E a Spit16 very easily.  So I'm not exactly sure how a Spit16 snailman would manage to squander the fight.

Slow speed co-e weould be more difficult than high speed low-e. In the MA, the K-4 Snailman does a lot to avoid low speed co-e with a Spit 16. :)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #283 on: August 11, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »
Dood...no backpedaling.  Its common knowledge bunnies cannot walk backwards...even though it may be in their nature now shooosh already!  :x
Thats what I told you, your bike only has one gear, pedal backwards and the breaks lock up....

For everyone else.. about the being co-e 'requirement'
Again, if they start out at the same speed and same alt, the spit 16 will get the kill.

Its very hard to 'out e' a spit 16 if they start out co-e.

BTW any plane will beat another plane if it enters the fight with a large enough 'e' adv, so comparing planes at different 'e' states is meaningless.

Slow speed co-e weould be more difficult than high speed low-e. In the MA, the K-4 Snailman does a lot to avoid low speed co-e with a Spit 16. :)

Real snails get low and slow...  :devil
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #284 on: August 11, 2011, 03:47:47 PM »
Thats what I told you, your bike only has one gear, pedal backwards and the breaks lock up....

For everyone else.. about the being co-e 'requirement'
BTW any plane will beat another plane if it enters the fight with a large enough 'e' adv, so comparing planes at different 'e' states is meaningless.

Real snails get low and slow...  :devil

I shoot and eat bunnies and hang their skins on my wall.  How's that for pedaling forward? :neener: