Author Topic: Spixteen perked ?  (Read 23543 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Spixteen perked ?
« Reply #435 on: August 12, 2011, 01:29:31 PM »
Because you couldn't beat them in their prime?

ack-ack

I could not beat them in their prime the same reason they cannot beat me in my prime, I was not playing the game.

Gotta love how the dinosaurs defend the other dinosaurs though.  It is very admirable.  :lol

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #436 on: August 12, 2011, 01:33:34 PM »
Emergency services need to taken some notes on the Muppets' BBS response time.   :eek:

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #437 on: August 12, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »
AKAK's been here since dirt, I think he's entitled to defend what he wants. He's also probably the top P-38 stick, if not, hes at least in the top 5. Like calls to like, I guess that applies to cartoon legends as well.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #438 on: August 12, 2011, 01:42:31 PM »
I could not beat them in their prime the same reason they cannot beat me in my prime, I was not playing the game.

And that's kind of why it's silly to even bring this kind of stuff up.  I'm sure you're an excellent stick, Grizz, and you'd probably do just fine against any of the "legends" in their prime.  The anonymous vet you quoted wasn't actually too far off the mark... there weren't one or two overly dominant players back when I was playing.  There were a number of players who could win or lose on any given day against each other.  The differences in skill level were so minor that luck became more of a determining factor in who won those duels than anything else.

I think there are two sides to this coin.  You tend to underestimate how good those vets were when they played at their best, and the flip side of that is that people tend to believe that the kind of skill level that old "legends" achieved is somehow unobtainable.  Far from it, and it's entirely reasonable to think that you're as good as any of the best players who flew.  I don't know, as I've never flown against you to my knowledge.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:46:10 PM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #439 on: August 12, 2011, 01:44:48 PM »
a thread with spixteen in the title, then it goes on for 30 pages... :headscratch:
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #440 on: August 12, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »

Gotta love how the dinosaurs defend the other dinosaurs though.  It is very admirable.  :lol
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #441 on: August 12, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »
Once upon a time your opinion mattered here.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #442 on: August 12, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »
And that's kind of why it's silly to even bring this kind of stuff up.  

I agree.  If I brought it up it was unintentional but I'm fairly certain Bronk did for some unknown reason.

I think there are two sides to this coin.  You tend to underestimate how good those vets were when they played at their best, and the flip side of that is that people tend to believe that the kind of skill level that old "legends" achieved is somehow unobtainable.  Far from it, and it's entirely reasonable to think that you're as good as any of the best players who flew.  I don't know, as I've never flown against you to my knowledge.

I do not underestimate old legends, I think they would be top sticks in today's game if they could motivate themselves to knock the rust off.  But TBH, I don't think even you in your prime could live up to the legend which has been built since you have quit.  I know you were easily one of the top players back when you played, but some of the fables I have heard by your biggest ankle humpers on here are equivalent to King Arthur pulling his magical sword out of the stone.

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
« Reply #443 on: August 12, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »
What is dweeb...asked and answered thanks. The original intent of this thread was primarily pointed at the "uber" spit. Followed closely by the term "Dweeb" not to be forgotten and interjected often was a certain "lack of respect" for anyone who flies them <Points at charts>.

Here is my definition of "dweeb" as I see it most commonly used;

Person: Anyone who attempts to inflate their abilities artificially; either by a perceived (real or not) better plane or tank.
       Plane/Tank: Any ride perceived (real or not) as having qualities that enhance the players ability and thus allowing a kill where one would not normally prevail.

Now for my next definition; <Easy Mode>

Any plane that exhibits qualities that are forgiving and thus allow the pilot to survive an unexpected result of control input without prolonged training to overcome the result.

Now with my definition I can easily say that the Spitfire is indeed an Easy Mode plane-set. Of course I framed my definition to fit my discription. But even so I agree with several that it indeed is easy.

It has been argued by some that by flying this plane one should expect a certain lack of respect from those who see themselves as important enough to grant it; fair enough. Now for the caveat; anyone who really cares about earning someone's respect will forever have a difficult time having fun at at "Game" because it is by definition not real and thus respect is irrelevant.  

Anyone with eyes can see I fly the spit, admittedly so. Anyone who cares to look can see that my K/D rate in the spit is probably also the lowest of the ones I do fly. This is where I argue the "Uber" term as it relates to the spit. While I do see it as "easy" I don't see it as "uber" in any category or on the whole. The genius of the spit design was that it was very forgiving and as a result allowed Britain (and other nations who used it) to succeed in putting pilots with less experience and flight time against a country with exceedingly more of just about everything. This is why I would argue that the plane was an excellent defensive fighter but was lacking in offensive capability. On offense I would give that to the later American birds like the 47, 38, 51, and the earlier German models like the 190 and 109.  It's short range, lack of ordinance capability, inadequate cannon load, and overall speed (especially at altitude except the XIV) was a drawback. I don't see the spit as uber but merely forgiving. As compared to my K/D rate in say the 262 or the F4's, the spit is way down there on the uber charts.

I said all that to say this: If the spit isn't uber (as I define it), and my K/D rate with the 262 and F4's is 10 times or more better, and if I lack the ahem....respect of all those important to bestow it upon us lowly spit drivers, why in the world would I fly it? Certainly it isn't because I care deeply about my score or ranking, I would sit my arse in the Corsair and/or 262 and enjoy a 15 to 1 K/D or better and gloat. It certainly isn't because I care about the respect, I don't. So,,,,,,,why?

Here is what you left out. The spit is fun; period because it fits how I like to play. I don't want to spend 20 minutes getting the alt to get to the fight, get some kills, then make my way to land and pat myself on the back with my uber k/d. I prefer to get into the fight, the lower the better, and I prefer to fight 2 v 1's or more just to see what happens. I often hear Bruv yell as I dive into the fray, Jek...don't go down there!  But that is how I like to fight, in the fray, see what may. I personally love hitting a tower seeing red all around and hopping into a spit to get into trouble. The spit does shine in this category, it allows me to perform in an arena where speed and escape aren't important. I don't mind 1 v 1's either, against better planes and experienced drivers I usually don't succeed. But if i cared would I still be in the 16?  

Easy mode; yes. Uber; no, but that is my opinion and worth what you pay for it. If you feel you must pull the "respect" carpet out from under the 16 drivers feet feel free, I could care less. I'm in it to have fun and my K/D reflects that. To anyone who does play to have fun and allows others to do the same, I certainly can respect that!

Yea, simply because I can

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #444 on: August 12, 2011, 02:11:26 PM »
Easy mode; yes. Uber; no, but that is my opinion and worth what you pay for it. If you feel you must pull the "respect" carpet out from under the 16 drivers feet feel free, I could care less. I'm in it to have fun and my K/D reflects that. To anyone who does play to have fun and allows others to do the same, I certainly can respect that!

This actually is a great distinction and I completely agree.  The Spit16 is easy mode but is not uber.  Yes, I agree.  Inversely, I think the Bf109K4 is not easy mode, yet is uber in the right hands. 

I'm getting an idea for a new chart: "Plane Uberness When Fully Utilized By Pilot"  :O

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
« Reply #445 on: August 12, 2011, 02:15:56 PM »
This actually is a great distinction and I completely agree.  The Spit16 is easy mode but is not uber.  Yes, I agree.  Inversely, I think the Bf109K4 is not easy mode, yet is uber in the right hands. 

I'm getting an idea for a new chart: "Plane Uberness When Fully Utilized By Pilot"  :O

There are some in there who will absolutely shine in that category, and I think the K4 will be at the top. Properly used it is definitely very very lethal! :aok
Yea, simply because I can

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #446 on: August 12, 2011, 02:18:07 PM »
Your flying style sounds a lot like how I enjoy flying the 109K4. Arguably its more fun than flying the spitfire in the same fashion because it takes a greater amount of skill to overcome the advantages many enemies will have. When I make a kill, I know I've earned it, and that I've fought hard for it.

Personally I could care less about the back patting and "wtg"'s. Whats fun for me is finding a good opponent, one who makes you sweat till you see his plane go down, and then for a few seconds afterwards too.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #447 on: August 12, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »
These charts are fine and all but I prefer the BT Charting method.

BIRD

Terd
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #448 on: August 12, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
I made a solemn vow to get this thread to 30 pages today, for Soulyss.  Everything after this point is just gravy.   :banana:

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #449 on: August 12, 2011, 02:24:54 PM »
Lol, british roundels on the wings. good choice.