Author Topic: P-47D-11 skin "Sleepy Time Gal"  (Read 5047 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
P-47D-11 skin "Sleepy Time Gal"
« on: August 09, 2011, 01:16:47 PM »
Thought I'd do a Pacific theater Jug skin since we have 16 new slots and as Fencer said, there are so few of them in the game currently. This is "Sleepy Time Gal" a P-47D-15 of the 58th FG 69th FS based in New Guinea in early 1944. This aircraft was flown by 1Lt Herbert B Emrich.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: P-47D-11 skin "Sleepy Time Gal"
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »
+1 for more D11 skins.  :aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »
Awesome!
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 06:11:33 PM »
Ahhh? :headscratch:  :uhoh

:D

You could do a bare metal one as well. :lol

:aok Is the nose art on both sides of the plane? I have profiles showing the same thing on the otherside as well.

Also I have a book on Pacific Jugs if you or any one else is looking for more.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 06:50:44 PM by lyric1 »

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
Good work, Greebo. A bare metal version of this noseart would be a neat addition as well.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:25:19 PM »
Excellent as usual!  :aok

If you do a baremetal plane, do a different group or squadron please  ;)
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 07:47:34 PM »
Excellent as usual!  :aok

If you do a baremetal plane, do a different group or squadron please  ;)
A few profiles to choose from then. :aok

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »
Me like very much!!!
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »
Just be careful with some of those 348th FG skins.  I see some errors on the profiles. 
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »
Just be careful with some of those 348th FG skins.  I see some errors on the profiles. 
What ones?

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 02:52:08 AM »
Like many Vargas paintings Sleepy Time Gal got used as the basis for nose art on a number of planes. IIRC I've seen it on at least one B-24 and possibly a B-29 as well.

I'm currently thinking of doing two more PTO Razorbacks, one with the early circular US markings and a natural metal one. The two I have my eye on at the moment are both from the 348th FG. Col Kearby's original Firey Ginger is shown in the profiles above. The same book also has photos of this aircraft. Major Bill Dunham's "Bonnie" is the natural metal Razorback that appeals most to me. I've found some good info including photos on that one as well. Here's a couple of links: Photos and description.

I did consider an Air Commando skin but I reckon the diagonal fuselage stripes won't work well on the AH P-47 due to banding at the top and bottom of the fuselage.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be happy to consider them. However I hate working from a secondary source like a profile, modern warbird or plastic kit without at least one RL photo to back it up and I'll only do it as a last resort.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:06:49 AM by Greebo »

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 05:32:23 AM »
What ones?

The 348th FG was odd in that by the end of the war, it had 4 squadrons assigned, the 340th, 341st, 342nd, and 460th.  Each squadron used a single color on the tail to note to which squadron the aircraft was assigned.  All aircraft assigned to the 340th used red.  341st used yellow, 342nd used blue, and eventually the 460th used black.  These were carried through from the beginnings in Australia in 1943 all the way to the end of the war, including their transition to P-51s, and also added the color to the prop spinner on the Ponies.

1.  Daring Dottie, assigned to the 341st, should have a yellow paint band on the tail, instead of red
2.  Red 61, #28054 was assigned to the 342nd, and should have a blue on the tail, instead of red
3.  The color blue used by the 342nd is a darker, navy blue.  This is confirmed with pictures.
4.  When the artist states the tail trim tabs were outlined in OD, this should be the tail color (navy blue)
5.  Fiery Ginger I, (blue 73)--nose art was all white
6.  Fiery Ginger IV, nose art was all white with black shadowing.  Also, Fiery Ginger IV included the Roman numeral and was painted a bit different that the original Fiery Ginger.  Looks like the artist just used the same artwork and colored it differently.

Just a few details. 

@Greebo, I think Bonnie would make an excellent skin, as would any of the Fiery Gingers.  I suppose IV would be more interesting since it was the only aircraft that carried all of Kearby's kill markings.  Also, I suspect that the tri-color tip of the vert stabilizer is blue, yellow, red instead of blue, white, red.  Kearby only flew aircraft assigned to the 342nd squadron, but he began a practice of representing all 3 squadrons (at the time) with the colors.  I do not have a color picture of that aircraft to confirm that.  Anyway, you can also see this with the P-51 version of Bonnie, which has all four colors, blue, red, yellow, black, on the spinner.

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 06:01:31 AM »
Thanks for the info Stoney. I agree Firey Ginger IV is a more interesting scheme. However I was mainly going with Firey Ginger I because it has the older style USAAF markings. It struck me as being more useful from a scenario standpoint to have an earlier marked aircraft. Also I have photos of that plane.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 06:28:39 AM »
Beautiful work, Greebo - anxious to see more.  Esp Bonnie- very colorful that one!   Ive seen her depicted wiht bare aluminum wings and with OD green wing upper surfaces - nit sure which is correct.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 07:01:05 AM »
Thanks for the info Stoney. I agree Firey Ginger IV is a more interesting scheme. However I was mainly going with Firey Ginger I because it has the older style USAAF markings. It struck me as being more useful from a scenario standpoint to have an earlier marked aircraft. Also I have photos of that plane.

Yes, agreed.  Personally I like the original one for the simplicity and the wing leading edge and tail paint--I think it looks more distinctive.  Anyway, I'm just glad you're doing them, as your P-47s are the best, and you'll do a great job on both skins.

HiTech