Author Topic: "You have landed successfully."  (Read 7385 times)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: "You have landed successfully."
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 09:41:40 PM »
I take it as a matter of pride being able to land what ever it is I'm flying in the virtual skies. As a matter of fact one of the ways I get use to a new flight model is to do take offs and landings. I also try to do the landing the way it's suppose to be done, i.e. three point landings for tail draggers, correct speeds and flap setting etc.
Being able to land the plane and taxi is probably more important to me, than it is to the average MA player. Since I pretty much  only fly scenarios, FSO, and similar events where it can be a real benefit to re-arming, as opposed to re-planing.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »
I only land gear up when one or both mains are damaged.

Doing it because you are in a hurry is full on dweeb mode.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 10:22:51 PM »
I've been playing AH for right at 10 years, now, and I can count, on one hand, the number of times I've intentionally landed with undamaged gear up. 

I still revel in the feel AH has, from taking off to landing.. and especially with one of the add-on sound packs.

And I don't come close to some sub-cultures in the game that are purists.

Well I've been here for 10 years and I can count the times I've intentionally landed with the gear down!

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 10:30:29 PM »
what about the 163, kinda hard to land with gear down  :D
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »
Well I've been here for 10 years and I can count the times I've intentionally landed with the gear down!

Ya, but nobody expects you to land wheels down...  That's just silly talk!   :D

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »
Well I've been here for 10 years and I can count the times I've landed with the gear attached!

Fixed. :aok
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 10:32:28 PM »

amateur....   :D

this is how you do it...  and i keep my gear...  :neener:

and to be fair, I had to create my own damage.   :noid

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,318573.msg4145650.html#msg4145650  

neener, neener, I can drive backwards, and park... almost...  :joystick:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 11:01:40 PM »
I like to belly land into the Vehicle Base indestructible. I AM WHATS WRONG WITH ACES HIGH.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:07:58 PM by BigR »

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 11:03:43 PM »
"Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"

I don't think it matters.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 06:50:25 AM »
during a vulchfest, landing with the gear up, is the only way to survive! you need to be able to stop quickly, before someone shoots you on the ground(yes, there are dweeby people that will do that), therefore its a necessary tactic.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 06:55:34 AM »
I'm a newbie but I always land gear down unless it's been shot off...

Has everyone been laughing at me trundling along on my wheels? :(
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Devonai

• Copper Member
      • Reckless Faith
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 07:09:46 AM »
Subscriber since 2006 here, and I've never landed gear up if undamaged.  I can certainly see the merit of doing so if trying to land at a hot airfield, but unless I'm flying on fumes I'd rather try for another pass than belly in.  After all, don't you know what those prop strikes do to the engine?  Your crew chief will murder you in the face.

As for landing Spits, I did have some trouble at first but that's why you can use C and V to brake separately.  Jamming on the spacebar is a guaranteed way to spin out on the tarmac.
Guns!  Aliens!  Talking cats!  My new Science Fiction adventure, now on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/David-Kantrowitz/e/B002BMHJPE/

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 07:31:31 AM »
Sinces its been mentioned I think gears up cant even be compared to these vulch-fest conga line-fests we still see way to often. Ive seen them go on for 20+ minutes with no, or very little, effort to actually take the base. Usually there is a self-apointed Air General calling out who can take what helpless plane on the runway, him most of all. And thats it, running up easy perks against planes sitting or taxiing on the de-acked runways. Then they land to the chorus of attaboys as if they actually accomplished somthing. And Im not talking noobs here. Or did you think you make top ranks without vulchfests, spawn camping, and milk running ?

And against such a vulchfest I'll land an IL2 belly down every time just to deny these heros an easy kill. In fact I'll even sit on the runway and wait till some vulcher is almost on me before clicking off. Theres a difference between a contested, fair fight and a vulchfest. If your trying to land at a base being shamelessly vulched then you dont owe anyone an explanation for anything.

I remember once some dimwit in a P-51 followed my 17s across 3 sectors staying 2,000 out and refusing to attack. When I aproached my base he dissapeared and I figured he just went home so I put gears down and started rolling in. While I was rolling, with guns turned off by game, who do you think appears buzzing the runway shooting up my bombers ? After refusing to fight cleanly for 3 sectors? After that smelly episode I changed my mind about belly ups. Honestly we have some players who think you owe them an easy kill no matter what.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 07:45:35 AM »

yeah, yeah, bullhockey, bullhockey, my line:

I don't care so much about the successful landing rule. It's acceptable. OTOH, last week, I shot up an F4F to the extent that he had to ditch in the ocean. I figured I'd get the kill. Wrong. It went down as a ditch for him. I'm not sur eif this was due to proximity to his CV or what. I'd like to know the rules of this. I owned that ponkety-ponk and forced him down. I should've just shot him where he sat.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 08:00:38 AM »
Maybe HTC could add another 1-2 point/perk levels to give credit to those who land "properly"?  I think it shows something when a person takes the time to land an aircraft in a proper manner.  It isnt like we have to taxi on up to the hanger and go through the shut down checklist.

It is just one of those gamey things the flash-bangers do. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.