Author Topic: GV soft spot help  (Read 1458 times)

Offline zippo

• Zinc Member
Re: GV soft spot help
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »
  Isn't the wirble supposed to be on a panzer chassis?  Seems that the wirble is easy to turret but can keep going after hits to the hull that would kill a panzer.  Anyone else noticed this?

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »
  Isn't the wirble supposed to be on a panzer chassis?  Seems that the wirble is easy to turret but can keep going after hits to the hull that would kill a panzer.  Anyone else noticed this?
the wirble isnt exactly a "panzer chassis" close, but not quite from what i know. also, the best way to kill/stop a wirby instantly is the engine, or the side of the drivers seat.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 12:29:54 PM »
The Ostwind and Wirblewind have the same chassis as the Panzer IV.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  I too will agree that both of the Osty and Wirby seem to shrug off the AP rounds much easier compared to the Panzer IV H.  I have not tested out the theory yet and probably wont until the Panzer IV is updated.  Anyone see the new pics of it yet?   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »
The Ostwind and Wirblewind have the same chassis as the Panzer IV.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  I too will agree that both of the Osty and Wirby seem to shrug off the AP rounds much easier compared to the Panzer IV H.  I have not tested out the theory yet and probably wont until the Panzer IV is updated.  Anyone see the new pics of it yet?   ;)
i wonder if there ever going to remodel the panzer...but the H model of the panzer IV's were a bit thinner skinned so they put sacraficial skirts to protect it from the 18 y/olds with bazookas. oh, and if you look at the wirble/osti the chassis is different in a few ways. the wirble looks shorter, but i cant be sure.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 01:27:42 PM »
i wonder if there ever going to remodel the panzer...but the H model of the panzer IV's were a bit thinner skinned so they put sacraficial skirts to protect it from the 18 y/olds with bazookas. oh, and if you look at the wirble/osti the chassis is different in a few ways. the wirble looks shorter, but i cant be sure.

The Panzer IV, the Wirblewind, and the Ostwind all have the same chassis.  The Panzer IV H has no less armor than the previous Panzer IV models, as a matter of fact the H has 30mm more frontal armor than previous models.  The armored skirts were added to help with shaped charges (iirc), not to make up the difference in "weaker" armor. ;)

Also, I'll have to go double check but the chassis under the Wirby and Osty is a "newer" version in AH compared to the Panzer IV.  They do not have the same graphics.  Maybe that means that when the Panzer IV is updated there will be less leg work because he chassis is already done???   :)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 01:31:37 PM »
The Panzer IV, the Wirblewind, and the Ostwind all have the same chassis.  The Panzer IV H has no less armor than the previous Panzer IV models, as a matter of fact the H has 30mm more frontal armor than previous models.  The armored skirts were added to help with shaped charges (iirc), not to make up the difference in "weaker" armor. ;)

Also, I'll have to go double check but the chassis under the Wirby and Osty is a "newer" version in AH compared to the Panzer IV.  They do not have the same graphics.  Maybe that means that when the Panzer IV is updated there will be less leg work because he chassis is already done???   :)
bazooka's, shaped charges *almost* the same thing. :) but im sure that the H model of the panzer IV had thinner armor on the sides but more armor in front. also, i found out why the osti/wirb shrugs off ap roudns better, the ammo storage placement is in the turret. not inside like most tanks. if you start pumping rounds into the chassis, you'd only kill the gunners and maybe the driver. if you hit the turret well, you just disabled a wirb. the best place to drop an AP round is right in the drivers compartment.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 01:46:47 PM »
Nope. Compared to the Panzer III, it had thinner side armor, yes, but not to earlier versions.

And +1 to redone Panzer IV. Give us an Ausf. G (50mm frontal hull armor) as well so we have a decent ENY 35 tank.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
hell, ill take a StuG III Ausf. G and a new panzer!

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 03:08:55 PM »
hell, ill take a StuG III Ausf. G and a new panzer!

I agree.  Having a new Panzer IV H would be very nice.  Having the StuG III would be nice too!  If they introduce the StuG III I hope right on the heels of that they introduce the Panzer III J because those two use the same chassis.   :aok