Author Topic: Modding My Case  (Read 1862 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Modding My Case
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 10:28:38 PM »
!@#$#$@ got a bad can of clear spray and ruined the paint job on front and upper sides.  I gotta start all over again.  I am so disjointedness.  the fricking can just burped out the clear and now it has a texture on some parts.  gotta sand it down and redoit.

get the paint from autozone or some other automotive shop.  they have a good selection of vinyl/upolstery paint.  better than homedepot or lowes.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 10:30:38 PM »
!@#$#$@ got a bad can of clear spray and ruined the paint job on front and upper sides.  I gotta start all over again.  I am so disjointedness.  the fricking can just burped out the clear and now it has a texture on some parts.  gotta sand it down and redoit.

get the paint from autozone or some other automotive shop.  they have a good selection of vinyl/upolstery paint.  better than homedepot or lowes.

semp
just talked to a friend, hitting the local Napa store near my girlfriens tomorrow morning before i go to her place. maybe ill get lucky and theyll have some 3k sand paper and a few pads if it isnt that expensive so i can start it tomorrow night after football if i dont go down to see her....  :x

Lawndart, have you tried removing your grill from the panels to make spraying easier? i could tape off the grills to avoid getting paint on them and/or my fans, but thats a lot of grills to cover up on the case if it would be easier to remove them  :lol
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:46:17 PM by MaSonZ »
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 11:22:31 PM »
your case is brand new, i dont think you ahve to sand it.  mine didnt have any scratches so I just painted it.  and you must remove the grills if you gonna paint them different colors.  they just have folded tabs holding them down.

semp

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 02:46:29 AM »
To get a better adhesion I would recommend scratching up your case before paint and sand between each coat with a wet-dry sandpaper such as 2000 grit just to get it smother. Do the same with the clear coat also.

Also it is easier to remove the grills and paint under them. Masonz here is a good website to drool over when you are modding your case.. it is where I got some of my ideas.

http://www.nzxt.com/forum/index.php

If you don't like that one then here ya go

http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/876350-official-nzxt-phantom-club.html

Check out what some have people have done on their cases ...

this is my fav case I have seen so far

http://kennycasemodz.nl/2010/10/duallphantom/

LawnDart

PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 06:56:18 AM »
your case is brand new, i dont think you ahve to sand it.  mine didnt have any scratches so I just painted it.  and you must remove the grills if you gonna paint them different colors.  they just have folded tabs holding them down.

semp
the tabs seem too flimsy to be bending. I would keep them black and paint my case a blue, I already have the paint, sand paper and tape for taping off the trim areas and (probably) grills so they don't get paint kn them. Starting it this evening ir tomorrow.

Ill post pics for you ladies :cheers: :banana:
HogDweeb

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 10:58:29 AM »
the tabs seem too flimsy to be bending. I would keep them black and paint my case a blue, I already have the paint, sand paper and tape for taping off the trim areas and (probably) grills so they don't get paint kn them. Starting it this evening ir tomorrow.

Ill post pics for you ladies :cheers: :banana:

if you are unsure about the tabs try a couple first on oposite sides.  that's what I did and only broke 1 tab on the 3 grills i removed.  fear is for the weak, the strong will use it as an opportunity to show your wife you need to buy another case since the one you have is defective  :D.

semp

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »
if you are unsure about the tabs try a couple first on oposite sides.  that's what I did and only broke 1 tab on the 3 grills i removed.  fear is for the weak, the strong will use it as an opportunity to show your wife you need to buy another case since the one you have is defective  :D.

semp
im 17...better not be married :rofl . I don't have the money for another case either. I got some painters tape with a blue the closest I could get to a candy. If it doesn't cut it it'll do for now. Ill be working on it this evening. At lest starting to disassemble it so tomorrow I can start spraying it if I have nothing to do. Ill post pics as I go.
HogDweeb

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »
take 2 or 3 days to dry.  you dont want to turn on the system with fumes still coming out of the paint.  remember it gets above 50 or 60 degrees inside the case.

semp

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 02:50:50 PM »
Good point... got a druid for a reason haha :banana:
HogDweeb

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 06:13:52 PM »
Semp and Masonz

LOL I took your advice and I painted my grills a different color and they look better. As soon as I can i will post pics and show it off now.

Also I just ordered these to go inside the case to brighten it up. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811994001 , I am just waiting for the delivery and install and I will post the new pictures.

LawnDart

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:10 PM »
LLawn, when you painted your top did you take the panel off, and same with your front. Getting trying to get my panels off and ready for spray for tomorrow, but im havin an issue getting the top and front panels off. I know how to get the front panel off, but getting the clips up at the top are a PITA.
HogDweeb

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 06:59:19 PM »
On the top you have to remove the screws forst then the whole grill with the trim piece comes off. then you can get to the tabs to remove the screen.

hope that helps you out.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »
Iight. Ill give that a try. :salute
HogDweeb

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »
HHow did you go abiut pinting around your fan control diagram lawn? I have eerything all prepped for the most part eexcept for the fan control digram
HogDweeb

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 12:37:08 AM »
I only taped off the black and painted over thier stencils.