Author Topic: Critical: CV _Exploit_! (don't make me use the "C" word)  (Read 827 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Critical: CV _Exploit_! (don't make me use the "C" word)
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »
OK, pretty sure this is actually something old, or at least a new spin on an old problem.  Lead to a bit of frustration last night as me and Fish42 were scouting our butts off looking for it in Ar234s, eventualy deciding to sacrafice the perks and our planes for a one-way and frustratingly unsucessful trip to the far corner of the map.  After that I logged for the night, but woke up to find this matter from last night being even more sour that originaly thought.

I'm reposting this for Semp (guncrasher on the BBS).  Original thread as posted by him in the Wishlist forum: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?topic=316439.0
Seems to be either a bug with the maps or CVs, that leads to the CV being exploitabley locked down (cource unchangable, ships unsinkable!)a nd inaccessible once sailed to a map's furthest corner.

The situation:
CV is being hiden to avoid being destroyed after coresponding port is captured by an enemy force.

The glaring problem/issue/exploit/cheat is this:
Quote from: Semp
I posted a wish thread due to bishops hiding our cv at end of map. once it gets past the name "plate" then it becomes a ghost cv. you can move to it, but you cannot control it or sink it. it is in never land and you must wait the 2 or 3 hours for it to complete it's circle and come back. I switched last night after we went looking for it and couldnt find it. tried to get control of it, but was unable. all i could do is jump to it.
  I'd gladly link the citation, but it is in the member's only section of the POTW own personal forums and was created only ~4 hours ago, however that is its entirety as provided above, minus my bolding.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Critical: CV _Exploit_! (don't make me use the "C" word)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:11:50 AM »
First it is not your cv until it is captured. Second I am against moving the cv out in lala land.

You switched to take control of it? For what purpose since you were logging as you stated?

It is wierd about the ghost cv group though. I have never noticed it happening. Most likely because a cv way out there is useless to my endeavors to be shot down a spastic amount of times. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:03:28 PM »
Now that you mention it, it did come off pretty underhanded-sounding.  I talked more to semp about this last night over VOX.  I forgot to mention in the first post that he was trailing us in a box of I think Lancs, in the event me and Fish42 discovered the CV but didn't sink it.

We never really switch from the Knights for anything, but Semp did so on this occasion to do some investigating on the odd series of events that developed from our originaly intended fair-play on the part of all three of us.

-Fish42 and I departed friendly territory to the south in single 234s each to scout, locate, and attempt to destroy/soften the CV that the Bish were strategicly holding back.
-I know Semp departed aproximatley 30 minutes behind us in a box set of heavy bombers (Lancs?).
-Fish and I had been working our way up North in a search pattern.  Around approx sector 19.16 in our search, with Semp now maybe only 3 sectors to the south of us, Fish and I decided we should sacrafice our 234s and head all the way to 20.20 while we still had that option and checkout everything along the way north to 19.19/20.20
-Upon entering sector 19.18, we note a bar dar pop in 19.16, we note this is likely an interceptor looking for us that will be heading North after us 234s and departign from the airfield at 18.16.

Here's where it gets confusing:

-Fish and I clear our search of 19.19 (~19.19.9) and he heads North to the cliffs and I head East.  We clear the furthest corner, still nothing.
-Our interceptor by this time we assume almost surely is a 262 based on our presumtion that it's faster than our 234s, Bish have good ENY costs at the time, and it just entered with dar bar into 19.19 as we in our 234s converged at 20.20 after a visual sweep of the furthest corner.
-We head South, opting for the sticking inside the 19.X sectors as we were jsut making a mess of "arrow dar" in and around the bordering 20.20 sectors and spread back apart beyond dot range.
-Visual almost imediatley made with bogie dot ~19.19.6/3.  He is above me at ~20k and to the North.  Ord is ditched, RATOs fired and I begin hastily climbing from ~10k to ~17k).
-During zoom upward I do my last bit of detective work for the night on my end.  I figure he surely must of seen Fish before me if he came from the West or SW, but I must be his first dot contact too because he has abruptly turned to intercpet me, so I conclude he must of come up the 3/6/9 keypads in the 19.X sectors, almost ontop of the 19.X and 20.X sector line and my previous pattern searching Northward originaly down further south... there's a chance I made dot dar on the carrier if it's to the south of us along the extreme East map edge and I missed it.  I figure one of us should try and check it out down to at least 20.16 with our last bit of fuel, preferabley the one without the 262 in chase.
-Icon range is made ~19.18.9 and sure enough, it's a 262.  Fish and I head back into each other and regroup, and Fish has gained more E than me.  I dodge the 262 a couple times, when the 262 tries to take on Fish a few passes he takes his E advantage and goes vert tryign to rope him and shoot him with his tail guns.
-At this point, the 262 has lost his E advantage, so me and Fish dive out to the south and I got away, but I think Fish was conserving his fuel a lot more which is unfortunate because I think that netted him with being the 234 the 262 decided to persue. I run outa fuel at this point ~ 19.17.9/6 on the map edge, still no CV visual.
-I layed down and called it a night at this point.

Semp, the last thing he heard at least from me, was that I assumed the 262 was right ontop of my search track heading north so it is likely that I broke dot dar on the CV we were looking for if it was along the East map edge.  He eventualy discovered it flying directly along the map edge and tried to bomb it but found it unsinkable and disapaearing, coining it a ghost CV, especialy when along it's upper E-W leg in that corner. 

It is then that he switched countries to investigate (and I don't blame him and will defend that decision of his, I think most would of done the same including myself, especialy after that much effort invested in doing it fairly), he found while it was on its N-E upper leg of its cource and found it un controlable too.  He said he waited a while, treid it again, still no success, took that screenshot as by that time it had sailed to its southern leg.  Eventualy I think he figured that if it sailed back to a point along the start of its cource that wasnt "bugged" you could then steer it out of the corner it was "ghost"ing in.

That is all I know, and I have pointed this thread out to Semp.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:11:33 PM »
So that was you guys?

I was relishing a tasty bomber kill when the dar bar disappeared.

Good to see people checking out stuff like this.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:33:47 PM by icepac »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:18:44 AM »
it happened just like he said.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:56:24 AM »
When you switched sides( thanks for the new 12 hour side switch rule) to take command of cv, someone was in command of the cv and will not show up on the task force page :salute
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:46:44 PM »
When you switched sides( thanks for the new 12 hour side switch rule) to take command of cv, someone was in command of the cv and will not show up on the task force page :salute

You're right, now, because of the 12hr switch rule, he can't change sides anymore.

Oh wait.... he can still do what he did to find and move a hidden cv.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 03:29:13 PM »
Word is UrSelf found another exploitable corner on the same map after getting a little hot under the collar yesterday with HT (something about ludicrous use of the word demeaning and the irony of it in relation to this same two-month-old ignored thread now in the proper forum), this time with the entire task group fully within an entire mountain/hill.  They are ghost CVs once they get into the map, you can't see them, you can't sink them, but they can see and shoot with AAA at you.

Information on this second corner on the same map exhibiting the same exploitable bug in the game, is available upon request from UrSelf (originator) or myself.

In adition and possibley of relation: Waystin2 last night encountered a set of indestructable bombers at high altitude and flying off the edge of the map.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:33:52 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »
Waystin2 last night encountered a set of indestructable bombers at high altitude and flying off the edge of the map.
Film?

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 04:24:31 PM »
well not another corner just the whole side of the map you can hide the CV group into, yes you can't see them nor kill them nor launch from them but the ack can still shoot though the terrain and kill you, i sent all my results in along with a map showing such bugged areas.  no need to post them here.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
Film?

Forwarding your request to Waystin now, don't know if there is film but I'll try to have him dig up what I can.

I do believe the bombers were on the same map edge (or beyond it) as the map edge that is giving us the exploitable CV issues.

Edit:  correction, I believe the bomber issue was on the map Trinity.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:33:11 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.