Author Topic: Info from WW2 Aces magazine  (Read 863 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Info from WW2 Aces magazine
« on: August 22, 2011, 12:08:47 PM »
Stranded at a Barnes & Noble in Memphis, so of course I pick up this magazine. One bit of geektoid, another for possible change to plane modeling.

First, geektoid. The armor plate behind the pilots head in the Bf-109G(?) Model was attached to the canopy, not the seat or plane. Thus when you opened the canopy the armor plate swung up with the canopy. Great article on Maj. Walther Dahl, 128-kills, who was incidentally shot down 15-times.

Possible modeling change. This magazine states that the P-47M had a top speed of 473mph and was the fastest Allied plane of the war. It does not state at what altitude though I think that beats the Tempest. To those who know far more about this then I, what do you say?

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Info from WW2 Aces magazine
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:24:34 PM »
Possible modeling change. This magazine states that the P-47M had a top speed of 473mph and was the fastest Allied plane of the war. It does not state at what altitude though I think that beats the Tempest. To those who know far more about this then I, what do you say?

The Tempest is at its best at 18,000 feet.  Once it gets to 22,000 it is passed by a number of aircraft or rather a number of aircraft are in the same speed bracket.  I'm going from memory, but I think at 25,000 the P47's start pulling away from most other aircraft in terms of speed.  The P47's get better as they get higher up, no doubt.  Not to mention the handling characteristics as well. 

THe term "fastest" can be quite misleading.  Altitude is the trump card.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »
Looking at the P-47M speed chart we have in game, it tops out at 30,000 feet and right around 473mph with WEP.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
First, geektoid. The armor plate behind the pilots head in the Bf-109G(?) Model was attached to the canopy, not the seat or plane. Thus when you opened the canopy the armor plate swung up with the canopy. Great article on Maj. Walther Dahl, 128-kills, who was incidentally shot down 15-times.

Boo
interesting thought.

109g2

109g6

109g6 erla canopy

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 06:44:01 PM »
Looking at the P-47M speed chart we have in game, it tops out at 30,000 feet and right around 473mph with WEP.

In game, it'll manage 476 mph at 30k...
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:53:47 PM »
In game, it'll manage 476 mph at 30k...

I'll take your word for it, haven't tested it I just looked at the chart in the hangar.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.