Author Topic: P-40 "white #7"  (Read 13987 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-40 "white #7"
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 07:31:10 AM »
ok re-worked it a bit....changed up the whites and blacks to be less bold.....tried to dull down the rivets and panel lines...I have not changed the bottom star, gonna do that later, also I noticed the top star is in the wrong position....gonna fix that..... really just trying to get the color down and get the rivets and panel lines good.

what say ye?

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 08:32:17 AM »
Thats awesome Ink.  :O  :x
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 08:43:26 AM »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 09:38:02 AM »
My comment about adding color to the bare metal template was only because of the opposite-corners black and white overlay on every square of panel lines, if you see what I mean. I noticed them on your bare metal template and here they are also on the painted one.

This effect is not meant for all situations. it is specific to bare metal. Bare metal acts as a mirror and reflects not only the sky but due to the curved nature it can show other shades as well. This doesn't have to be mirror-polish metal, but even dull and worn metal has a bit of a sheen to it. It can and does even reflect the ground based on the curve of the metal sheets. In fact, it often shows a large range of shades and colors. The problem is this reflection is dynamic. AH doesn't do this kind of reflection mapping. Instead we "bake it on" in 3D animation terms, and that means we fake the result with 2D bitmapping. This is why you add that black and white opposite-corners effect. It makes the viewer think the surface is reflecting more of the world around it.

However...

This is only true of the bare metal mirror-like reaction to the world around it. For painted materials you will not find such an effect and it is out of place. By adding light and shadow to painted surfaces now you have changed it to make it look like they are bulging out at every panel line like balloons. This has an undesirable effect on the finished product. It's fine to keep it for a BMF P-40 down the road, but I think you need to ditch it (the effect) for this skin.

EDIT: Keep in mind there are other effects you can use with painted surfaces. Different effects show wear, show sand blasting, show sun baking, etc. You have to tailor the effects to the aircraft you are re-creating. You need to have an eye for the historic condition of the aircraft itself.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:39:59 AM by Krusty »

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 10:57:09 AM »
Keep it up ink you've got to be a natural with colors or something cause even your fist skin was awesome.  :salute
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 11:13:52 AM »
Ink, I think that looks much better overall.  I think the gray should be a tad darker if its a standard Gray/OD scheme, and maybe add a shade more saturation back to the OD.  Its trending towards a bit too washed out.  Could be at this point I'm arguing monitor differences though.

Generally speaking though, that's a huge improvement.  The rivets and panel lines look good.  Looking forward to the finished product.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 12:11:27 PM »
Ink, I think that looks much better overall.  I think the gray should be a tad darker if its a standard Gray/OD scheme, and maybe add a shade more saturation back to the OD.  Its trending towards a bit too washed out.  Could be at this point I'm arguing monitor differences though.

Generally speaking though, that's a huge improvement.  The rivets and panel lines look good.  Looking forward to the finished product.

haha Thank ya man....I laugh because I wanted to do exactly what you describe....thank ya  :salute

Keep it up ink you've got to be a natural with colors or something cause even your fist skin was awesome.  :salute

Thanx man

My comment about adding color to the bare metal template was only because of the opposite-corners black and white overlay on every square of panel lines, if you see what I mean. I noticed them on your bare metal template and here they are also on the painted one.

This effect is not meant for all situations. it is specific to bare metal. Bare metal acts as a mirror and reflects not only the sky but due to the curved nature it can show other shades as well. This doesn't have to be mirror-polish metal, but even dull and worn metal has a bit of a sheen to it. It can and does even reflect the ground based on the curve of the metal sheets. In fact, it often shows a large range of shades and colors. The problem is this reflection is dynamic. AH doesn't do this kind of reflection mapping. Instead we "bake it on" in 3D animation terms, and that means we fake the result with 2D bitmapping. This is why you add that black and white opposite-corners effect. It makes the viewer think the surface is reflecting more of the world around it.

However...

This is only true of the bare metal mirror-like reaction to the world around it. For painted materials you will not find such an effect and it is out of place. By adding light and shadow to painted surfaces now you have changed it to make it look like they are bulging out at every panel line like balloons. This has an undesirable effect on the finished product. It's fine to keep it for a BMF P-40 down the road, but I think you need to ditch it (the effect) for this skin.

EDIT: Keep in mind there are other effects you can use with painted surfaces. Different effects show wear, show sand blasting, show sun baking, etc. You have to tailor the effects to the aircraft you are re-creating. You need to have an eye for the historic condition of the aircraft itself.

thanx for input   :salute

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 04:50:43 PM »
Your quality of skinning has improved dramatically for such a short time. Keep up the good work. :salute
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »
Your quality of skinning has improved dramatically for such a short time. Keep up the good work. :salute

thanx man :salute

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 06:22:29 PM »
looks amazing ink, great work.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »
thank ya scorp :salute

appreciate it

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 10:03:50 PM »
 :aok :D

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 09:07:03 AM »
Might just be the computer I'm using right now but I don't see a whole lot of wear going on on the painted portion of the plane.  Try adding some to the areas the crew would walk on to service the plane, around the service hatches and along the leating edge of the control surfaces (make this wear very subtle).

You could also add some burn residu to the area just behind the guns.  I don't see any right now.

Those are the 2 things I can add, but it is a nice looking skin.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 09:18:05 AM »
Might just be the computer I'm using right now but I don't see a whole lot of wear going on on the painted portion of the plane.  Try adding some to the areas the crew would walk on to service the plane, around the service hatches and along the leating edge of the control surfaces (make this wear very subtle).

You could also add some burn residu to the area just behind the guns.  I don't see any right now.

Those are the 2 things I can add, but it is a nice looking skin.

:D

good eye...haven't done any of that yet still working on just trying to get the color right :neener:

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 07:06:16 PM »
 :aok